February 29th, 2012

New Orleans police arrest 17-year-old in Good Samaritan shooting

New Orleans police have arrested a 17-year-old in connection with the shooting of a Good Samaritan who died in front of his two sons while trying to stop a carjacking.

Several tips from the community led to Tuesday's arrest of Kendall Harrison, who is accused of shooting Harry "Mike" Ainsworth, 44.

Ainsworth was with his two sons, ages 9 and 11, as they waited for a morning school bus on January 25.

When he saw a man carjacking his neighbor, Ainsworth ran to help, jumping on the hood of the car, police said.

The carjacker shot him through the windowshield, police said.

Wounded, Ainsworth staggered into a neighbor's yard where he collapsed.

The boys ran to him and sat by his side until emergency responders arrived. It was too late. The two sons witnessed their father die.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Talk For Social Change

Sad story all around.

February 29, 2012 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. **cosmicVox *

What a nasty little Punk

February 29, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Talk for Social Change:
    All around?
    It's sad all around the murdered man's family and friends.
    As for the seventeen-year-old murderer, the only thing that will be sad to me is if the sorry little punk is not put to death.

February 29, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Some advocates of "social change" actually believe that any person who does enough work to own a private car deserves to be shot so that the car can be liberated for use by the people.

February 29, 2012 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And some people actually believe life should be as it was in the 50's.
      It matters not...this man is still dead.
      We know you don't care.
      His family might.

February 29, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. hamsta

Just further evidence nancy reagan and tipper gore were barking up the wrong tree with that witch hunt about heavy metal and satanic cults.this kids parents listened to that gangsta rap crap the kids whole life.and they say ozzy told kids to commit suicide?hey stupid,the song is about drinking to much. i would really like to see these gangsta rappers sued and demonized like ozzy was.

February 29, 2012 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

apparently, there is a rip in the space-time continuum. this post from the 80s got out..

February 29, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

lol...um...what?

February 29, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@banasy: that was the last time i heard the names tipper gore and ozzy in the same statement.

February 29, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Patrick©

As usual hamsta you are not in possession of your facts.

February 29, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hamsta

@jif ya i guess thats how obama redistributes wealth.

February 29, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I think redistribution started with the non-taxing of corporations and bank Ceos making the rules by way of lobbyist, then the bailouts for themselves. I think it is the workers that always get the shaft, made to bailout the wealthy mistakes and make them even wealthier, and made to have less rights. Until we all start to think with logic and precise laws that determine the penance for robber barons and political hoes for the wealthy we will be divided. When the politicians can no longer hold abortion and religion over our heads at voting time. Repealing the Steagal -Glass act and making their own rules to make them wealthy. So who has redistributed wealth?

February 29, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Patrick©

@hamsta: A) I don't like you B) Mrs. Gore and Mrs. Reagan have nothing to do with this C) This is a tragic story that has absolutely nothing to do with our President D) you are an idiot

February 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Decades ago, I was walking in Greenwich Village with friends after dinner. We were all eating ice cream cones.
    When we entered the car where our car–a VW bug–was parked, we had to walk past a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud.
    My FORMER friend who was a rabid Communist smashed her ice cream cone against the side window of the Rolls-Royce.
    "There," she said. "That will bring them into reality."
    some of the social change we need is for more members of society to figure out what work they might be able to do and do it.

February 29, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I meant, "when we entered the garage where our car..."

February 29, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. leeintulsa

i've considered this a few times, and i think house had an episode.. whether it's worth it to help someone else by risking the security of your own family.

tragic tale. had it been me, i hope i would have let the loser carjack someone and move my kids away from the scene. my kids need a living dad, not a dead hero.

February 29, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Totally senseless crime.
    Totally.

The empathy shown to this man, (or should I say lack of it) is astounding to me.
    Although I somewhat agree with lee, *not* doing anything shows what many people are thinking today..."Let someone else do it; not me, not in my backyard..."

It's a sad case all around.

February 29, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

i would have called the cops as i protected my kids..

February 29, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Good for you, lee.
      I honestly don't know what I would do in this instance.

Unfortunately, the man reacted in a different way that brought about his needless death at the hands of a stupid little low life punk who deserves everything he gets.

February 29, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@leeintulsa:
    Not you, dear, hamsta's post.

Question: when was the last time you heard Nancy Reagan and Tipper Gore linked by anything
    Other than their being female...

February 29, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

same time period.. and i'm pretty sure gangsta rap had its period of prosecution in the 90s.. i didn't see how any of it related to a murder in new orleans..

February 29, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

and i don't recall them working together on anything.. wasn't nancy busy just saying no?

February 29, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy:
    I was surprised by your 9:44 AM reply to my 6ish comment.
    I don't know how you know what I think about the plight of the murdered man's family.
    I addressed another aspect of this event; that was in response to another comment.
    I thought of writing a comment suggesting that we empathize with what this man's children will think of his action and death as the grow older without his love and financial support.
    I'm not going to defend my views, in spite of my fondness for you. I will say that I do not think that Everything should be as it was in the 1950s.
    However, many things then were much better.

February 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. high hopes

A car's not worth dying over... especially if it's not yours. But, he did what he did and he's gone. I agree with Lee, protect your kids first. Glad the guy kept driving, things could've gotten worse.

It's not the music they listen to that makes the man, the music is a reflection of the world they live in

February 29, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@JIF:
    I percieved this comment to be a very cold one: "All around? Maybe to his family...." as if empathy or this case should end there.
    Yes, it is a sad case all around, in my opinion, which I am inti tled to voice, the same as you do.
    I was commenting on a commenter's post, the same as you.
    I percieved it, perhaps, differently than what you intended, but that is the way it looked to me in black and white, and as fond as I am of *you*, I still call it as I see it.
    It seems to me that some of the statements I have been seeing lately are getting colder and more uncaring; I was surprised to see such a comment from*you*, also.
    My second comment was just a continuation of the first.
    I do not have to defend my statements any more than you do; a little empathy could go a long way in a world when a person dies in front of his children trying to help a man out.

As enormously fond of you as I am, I feel you would understand that I do not have to defend myself from my posts, either.

We disagree.
    It happens.

February 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy:
    I said, "family and friends."
    As for the murderous punk. I have no empathy for his experience with the sociological matrix.

March 1, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |