Charges filed in juvenile court against suspect in Ohio school shooting
T.J. Lane walks into court for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday.
March 1st, 2012

Charges filed in juvenile court against suspect in Ohio school shooting

T.J. Lane was charged Thursday afternoon on six counts related to Monday's shooting at Ohio's Chardon High School - three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault, according to court documents. The charges were filed in juvenile court.

Lane, a 17-year-old sophomore, has confessed to taking a .22-caliber gun and a knife to the school and firing 10 rounds as scared students and teachers ran for cover, according to the prosecutor.

- CNN's Laura Dolan contributed to this report.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Ohio
  1. Geoff

This kid better be tried as an adult and the death penalty better, at the very least, be on the table.

March 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • BinaryTruth

Why the rush for more death? They said he will be tried as an adult.

March 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geoff

just said it should be on the table is all.

March 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Why?

March 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geoff

because he knowingly, intentionally murdered 3 people.

March 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stevi

So killing the kid will make it all better? No. It won't. The best punishment is life in prison. Death is an escape, not a punishment.

March 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Well, figures.

Because the death penalty should always be on the table to some degree. He should at the very least be scared to sh!t, for what he's done. Imagine what everyone else was going through. I, by no means am a conservative and I feel this way.

March 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve washington

Lets place the blame on the parents. They failed to raise this kid, instead spent their time in prison. They should get the same sentence as Thomas does.

March 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • WDL

Did they get a motive as of yet?

March 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • goose

the death penalty will not be on the table as he was under 17 at the time of the crime. he has confessed to 2 counts of murder so he will be in life for the rest of his life unless they plea for some kind of mental illness with is proable due to the interviews that have already taken place with friends and families about his childhood and life the days and weeks before the shooting.

March 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nik

they should execute him in public.

March 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geoff

kill the kid so the tax payers dont have to foot the bill to keep him imprisoned for the next 60-70 years

March 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • goose

sorry corrections to my last post. he was under 18 at the time of the crime so the death penalty isn't even an option no matter what and he confessed to all 3 deaths and attempting to kill all 5 so he will spend life in prision unless he pleas and wins insanity.

March 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

No death penalty for under 18 in Ohio.

March 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pete

This is horrible news. The Packers already have trouble with their offensive line and they can't afford to lose another lineman.

March 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. India Najones

bullies in prison have got to be worse than high school bullies.. good job you sad little joke.

March 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunter

Only an idiot would call anything about the incident a "joke."

March 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Well, figures.

@Unit34AHunter, you're actually an idiot not being able to comprehend what India said. They said the shooter, is a joke (poor excuse for human being, etc) . Not the incident. Try harder next time please.

March 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Glenn Q

"Hey Peter man, watch out for the cornhole bud!"

March 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. boarddog

Seventeen year old punk that murdered others in revenge for some perceived wrongs that he couldn't handle like a normal person. To trial as an adult and the punishments that go with it for him!

March 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. claire

everyone is or was someone's child....things went terribly wrong for him and now for many others..shows me that we have such little time to bring up our children in the way they should go so that they turn not far from what is right...God entrusts us with them, expecting much more......so sad.

March 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

Okay let me say that I am not a parent and I know for a fact I could not understand the loss of a child or the sense of security in the community. But the kid is disturbed. How about we lock him in a psych facility for 15 years and call it a day? Either way we have to pay for his upkeep; but the belief of an eye for an eye just doesnt set well for me. I am going to admit to surprise that Demtrius's mother said she forgave TJ Lane. I mean she just lost her son but even she sees that this kid is messed up. Kids now adays need hugs not the latest clothes money or video games . Pay attention people we have a society of broken souls who in my opinion just need attention.

March 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • LISA N KY

Amen!!! But I'm with you, she is a much better woman than me to be able to forgive this entirely this early in the game.

March 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

No, kids need more structure and parents who aren't afraid to discipline them. Notice I didn't say hit, I said discipline. There is a difference. We don't need to be coddling our kids, telling them that they're all super-special. They need lessons in real life from their parents so they can learn how to deal with hardship in productive ways, not by feeling bullied and pulling a Ruger in the cafeteria.

March 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • calcometh

This is end times- this stuff is in the bible-we got front row seats

March 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • JAT

Chris, I am parent and you could not have put this in a better perspective for us all. Parents have to give their kids their "undivided" attention and yes they do want that more than any expensive clothes or gadgets. It's a huge red flag if your kid is always at home and by himself. No matter your child's personality or interests; there is a group for him or her. It is your job as their parent to expose them to other people and opportunities so they are not sitting around "fuming" about everything bad that has happened to them. Very sad indeed for all involved.

March 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • LISA N KY

Normally I would agree with you Ryan, but my Son was an only child, as I was, and he kept to himself alot and learned to entertain himself. However, he was never alone, I was always there with him. We did alot together. Even now, he is 21 and it is not unusual for him to be home on a Friday or Saturday night at 9:30 PM. He has other places to go, he has a girlfriend and he has good friends. His circle is not a large one, but one he believes in as they are good friends. When you discipline an only child, it really had no effect as he was good at finding things to do. Take away his TV rights, he read. Ground him to his room, he adapted. I am very lucky though to have him and I am very proud of how he overcame things.

March 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Duane

No matter his past he had no right to take these lives.....I think he has forfeited his

March 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunter

It's not about "rights" it's about whether he was rational or otherwise sane.

March 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • LISA N KY

I doubt he was rational

March 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jackinbox

Looking forward to feeding that POS for a loooooooong time.

March 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anonymous

Why didn't he commit suicide after doing this? He will just have a worse life in prison.

March 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunter

I can see why someone would wish to remain anonymous when posting a comment like yours.

March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LISA N KY

He is troubled that's for sure but that does not condone his actions. There is something about boys at this age that they all seem so down all the time. My Son was no different (exept he was not trying to kill anyone) in the aspect of seeming to be so down and depressed and did not want to talk and never said what bothered him. I worried he might do something to himself he seemed that bad to me. I made sure any guns were removed from my house. Not out of fear he would hurt anyone, only himself. That is the impression I got. I do feel sorry for all the kids and the families whose lives are forever changed. Everyone should keep in touch with what is going on with their kids lives and keep invading their privacy to keep them safe.

March 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Domestic Terrorism

One thing for sure, it was another act of domestic terrorims. For every 100 act terrorism comitted against a US citizen, 99 were at the hands of a fellow American citizen. (or wannabe citizen) It's high time we truened the CIA loose on those harming US the most. Ourselves. If you have nothing to hide, this shouldn't be a problem. Yet, 1/2 of US would cry foul if the CIA got involved in domestic affairs of fraud and terrorism.

March 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really???

He went to that school & lashed out in anger at other students who also went to the school. A terrorist has an ideology & is part of OR follows a group with an agenda. He did not kill those kids after screaming a terrorist slogan; like Major Hasan at Fort Hood. Just knock it off. This incident; like the mass murders at that beauty salon in California; does not fit the parameter of terrorism. Stop being a drama llama.

March 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Change

If he didn't have access to guns, the out come could be different. A serious look is needed in your country's laws on gun control.

March 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunter

That's about as rational as saying that if only we'd ban schools we'd have no school shootings.

March 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Change

Seriously, 17 y/o with a semi-automatic assult rifle.

March 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • India Najones

99.99 % of all kids would never do this.
      no need to change a policy that helped make the red white and blue what it is for some 00.01% irrational psycho.

March 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Change

99.99% ? Have you seen the videos posted on sites like YouTub of kids firing off guns of all sorts. This kid was troubled and had access to a gun and he used it.

March 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • India Najones

I'd guess 99.99% of kids is a fairly accurate number. Either way... this pathetic excuse of existence has nothing backing his actions. Not the poor home life, not the "I was bullied" BS, nothing can begin to explain his F'd up thoughts. His last thought should have been putting that gun he had access to to his own stupid face.

March 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Christopher Hudson

Well said Chris...

March 1, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ATLmatt

There has to be more to this story. It is such a tragedy... loss of life, loss of innocence. It is truly a sad story for all involved.

March 1, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • rparr

Yes it is but there is no answer, how can you stop something like this from happening again. I was bullied all my life (well grade school through 12th grade) I never harmed anyone, but it has left long lasting problems in my life.. And telling teachers and the school is a joke I know I told them and they did nothing

March 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |