Charges filed in juvenile court against suspect in Ohio school shooting
T.J. Lane walks into court for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday.
March 1st, 2012

Charges filed in juvenile court against suspect in Ohio school shooting

T.J. Lane was charged Thursday afternoon on six counts related to Monday's shooting at Ohio's Chardon High School - three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault, according to court documents. The charges were filed in juvenile court.

Lane, a 17-year-old sophomore, has confessed to taking a .22-caliber gun and a knife to the school and firing 10 rounds as scared students and teachers ran for cover, according to the prosecutor.

- CNN's Laura Dolan contributed to this report.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Ohio
  1. spectator

idk I actually feel sorry and pray for this fellow. everybody judges but you don't know the hell he may have been going through day to day. I think there is suffering and a deeper story behind this tragedy. my heart goes out to the victims but there is sorrow to be had for this youth as well. Praying for ALL involved.

March 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Agreed! All anyone can do is pray for him. If there was anything in the world I could do, I would but he's in God's hands now.

March 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • spectator

yeah, seriously. the expression on his face is not that of a cold blooded heartless murderer. He is suffering too. You can tell. So I am sorry if I have a heart. but that is the truth. you think it is as easy as calling the kid a nut, stamping it and shutting the file. It isn't. If you think it is , that is why you don't hold an occupation in juvenile or social case work.

March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • spectator

oh thank you seriously! I thought you were boldly against what I said. but my heart aches for all involved. thanks guys.

March 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

I'm glad you said it Specator because I feel the same way. Look at his parents for pete's sake they are both in prison this kid didn't have a chance AND I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong it definitely was, but he needs help and prison is not going to help him!! My heart goes out to everyone involved with this.

March 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • spectator

I am majoring in Criminal Justice and Minoring in Psychology [Bachelors]. as of late , I am feeling a passion toward working in juvenile justice. You have to become really specialized to take on the cases of youths. We would like to say every crime by every individual regardless of age is black and white; its not. The class I'm in right now is Crim Management and this week Juveniles are our focus.

March 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously?

good to know there are still faith believing christians out there as opposed to God defaming know it alls who hide behind the anonymity of the internet. God bless em all

March 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. salliejo

Schools are not psychologiy experts. He wasn't even living with his parents. He had been in trouble multiple times, and he was compelled to be in an alternative school due to many issues. He's a nut case and we all have to pander to nut cases these days in schools , allowing them to throw temper tantrums, curse, remain defiant yet nothing happens but a 2 hour detention. He knew he could get away with it.

March 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • oops

but he didn't get away with it.

March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kris

This child as well as the children who were killed and wounded, are in my prayers. My heart bleeds for these children. As for TJ, my feelings will not be popular. I pray that God will hold him close, because apparently no one else ever did. 4 children died on that day and I wish God would turn back time and make it all go away. This just sucks.

March 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • spectator

thanks Kris. I agree whole heartedly. TJ doesn't even appear to have had proper nutrition. His face shows his skeletal structure. my heart bleeds for all involved too and my mind strains to understand.

March 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michele

The student who did the shooting has been formally charged with aggravated murder. There was a news blip on the day it happened that this shooting was a reaction to persistent bullying. It begs the question...with all the training these teachers, etc., received, was any part of that training focused on how to idenity bullying and prevention of this kind of outcome? Obviously, this young man did not have the emotional tools to deal with bullying. His family life was a mess so there was no emotional support or counseling available. I wonder if anyone at the school saw it, noticed anything unusual by his behavior that would have alerted them in taking more of an actionable role in prevention of this shooting.

March 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. FU

He should have joined the army so that he could shoot at innocent civilians in other countries...

March 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • joeu

Yep...those soldiers you say kill "innocent civilians" are fighting for your right to be...STUPID!!

March 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • FU

Saddam Hussein never threatened my right to act stupid, neither did any Afghans...several Saudis did on 9/11 though, but that never amounted to much now, did it? Tell me: which flavor Cool Aid is you favorite again?

March 1, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PastorDoWrong

Bubba and is homies are going to demolish that young boys balloon tie....

March 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Whoa...please remember that this is a child ok?

March 1, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Patricksday

TJ must of had some Great Republican Parents that really screwed him up.

March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • joeu

AND...we have our first idiot turning this into a "political" thing! Woo! Hoo!...Idiot...

March 1, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Francois2012

OK!

March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. really?

will your prayers really help this out?

March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Georjetset

So yes he did a horrible thing, but jeees, show some compassion. I'm interested in what the motive was? Obviously he was troubled, but why so blood thirsty, people? Is this fun for y'all...knowing he may get (but won't) a death sentence?

March 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • PastorDoWrong

I wanna see blood because I'm a WOLF..

March 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. J

I remember as a child being teased and made fun of, never once did I think to hurt anyone because of it. It seems that now at days the first thing everyone thinks of is to hurt someone else.I alwasy here Protect the children from bullies, but when I look back on my childhood I think bullies helped me become the person I am today! I am strong and independent! If we baby our children they will always be babies and need our help for the rest of our lives, at what point do we say they need to learn for themselves. What this kid did is the worse thing in the world that anyone could ever do! He killed children! just because he couldn't handle being a kid! That is the fault of the parents! We need to teach our children to be strong and independent, what happened to the saying " sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" Sad Sad world.

March 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. salliejo

Boys are being forced to live this extended childhood, no outlet for a sense of independence, and coddled and schooled into adulthood....we need to have kids graduate at 16 if they are like this one, give them a modified diploma, let them go see how the real world is. Alternative schools are holding cells for aggressive, rude, non compliant, resentful boys like this one.

March 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Justin

WHOA some of you all have some messed up views. Bullied or not; what TJ did was wrong. However, something somewhere went wrong in this kids life. It is unfortunate that others died, that he felt this was the correct path to take. NONE of us spewing off on this site know what was going on in his head but him. Instead of jumping to conclusions let the facts speak for themselves in time.

March 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • spectator

Justin – I agree 100%

March 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Exactly!

March 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BS

OMG...will the bleeding hearts stop already? I wasn't one of the popular kids in school, I didn't hang with all the cool kids, home life wasn't perfect, every gets made fun of or bullied/picked on by someone at one point or another...but I never even thought about killing a bunch of people. It is funny how society evolves...Columbine was horrific, now school shootings are looked on as not a question of IF, but a matter of when. Poor baby T.J. didn't get enough hugs in life....I guess that means over half of society is supposed to turn into psychotic murderers? PLEASE......

March 1, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. salliejo

Alternative school kid in Chicago just stabbed and killed someone this week.
    Alternative school kid in Ohio murders 3.
    Very bizarre, psycho kids end up in alternative school because they can't handle the real world, yet the school is not the parent, not the psychologist,not the fixer of all things broken.
    We need to get these bad ones away from the ones who go to school to learn.
    this inclusion of any psycho no matter what, all comes from misguided "helpers".

March 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • momsconscience

I agree with you. This kid has a histroy of violence from choke holding a kid to punching the boy in the face, and he was allowed to continue going to school with kids who want to be there. Thats nonsense. Expulsion exists for a reason, some kids are just bad seeds, and they should not be allowed to grow where they can hurt or corrupt others. we all have a rough life, i never once thought of grabbing a gun. i thought of asking my parents to move or just sucking it up until i was 18 when I can have my own life. Shame on this school for letting T.J. to be there.

March 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • high hopes

momwithnoconscience:

Get your facts straight!

He attacked his uncle who was abusing his brother!

His father kidnapped someone. Anybody know if it was the woman who got her head bashed into the wall while trying to drown her under the faucet... or was that someone else?

Geeee, I wonder what he did when he got REALLY mad!?!

March 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |