Apple’s next 'You-know-you-want-one' device
Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the latest iPad.
March 7th, 2012

Apple’s next 'You-know-you-want-one' device

It’s finally here.

The rumors have been buzzing for almost a year now, and tech sites on the internet have been blogging with speculation and frenzy in the recent weeks, all trying to figure out what is Apple going to come out with next.

And my, does Apple know how to put on a performance.

It sends the media an invitation weeks before the big day, and, in usual Apple flair, layers the anticipation on the day itself, making the tech press squirm uncomfortably in their seats (myself included).

Apple’s CEO Tim Cook rises and talks about numbers; 25 billion app downloads, the opening of Apple store number 362 in Amsterdam, (where, presumably, you will be able to buy the item we really want to hear about).

And some recent accomplishments.

A short history lesson.

Oh look, some new software. (Get on with it already!)

And then finally, the big reveal.

Here it is: the absolute latest gadget that could possibly send cult Apple fans into their next overnight-camping-in-line-to-buy-even-though-I-may-not-need-this-I-want-one frenzy: The new iPad

Apple unveils new iPad

Apple unveiled its long-awaited, next-generation iPad on Wednesday.

New iPad poster child of 'post-PC world'

It does everything you’ve ever wanted it to do, and, more than likely things you never figured you’d want it to do. See why CEO Tim Cook calls it the poster child of the “post-PC world”.

Tim Cook explains why iPad wins market

While there are many other tablets out in the market, here Tim Cook explains why nothing compares to the iPad experience. (And takes a small stab at Samsung in the process).

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Technology
  1. 2tor

It still has no flash, and is very limited. It's a waste of money!

March 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff_S

Apple is not likely to EVER have flash. Steve Jobs hated them. Also, Adobe is no longer working on new development for flash. It will be obsolete fairly soon.

March 7, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike in Montana

Except for the price, one word.., WOW !! Looks like in three years, I won't need a desktop computer. Throw in the iPad with 16 or 32GB, Apples Cloud or simply use a your own external hard disk drive or USB flash drive and your up and running with plenty of storage or back-up. Except for the price, one word.., WOW !! Mike in Montana P.S.: Of course, in the middle of the state of Montana and others, you could have a major problem, connecting with someone. Once the WiFi problem is fixed or any other connecting problems with the outside world is solved, the Apple iPad 3, will be more than a run away hit. Connection with the outside world, is still a problem in the state of Montana (large state and a lot of empty space) and others states, as well.. Apple.., solve the problem. The reason cell phones are NOT selling more in the state of Montana is.., drive from any city, town or burg, 50 miles and you have NO reception or anything else. Your in the middle of nowhere, until you get to the next large town. Like I said, "Big state." Apple.., fix the problem. Mike in Montana

March 7, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zombietroy

With their 100B Apple should build a Free Nationwide APPLE Wi-fi network (not slow as hell 4G LTE). Then you'd see consumers change their habits in a friggin hurry.

March 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ca Ed

not going to sit through the vids.

what is/are the prices?

March 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • JF

Verizon has the place covered for 3G by around 50%. Not too bad, all things considered.

March 8, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Adam

This is actually an incredible product. I can't wait to get mine in the mail and set it up. It really will be such a huge upgrade...and the other good news? I sold my iPad 2 two weeks ago for the price of the new iPad 🙂 Won't be paying a dime for an upgrade!

March 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Allen

Yaaaaaaawwwwn.

March 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

yawn, indeed.

March 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • McGuffin

So what can you do with this iPad other than look at it?

March 8, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. David Ogletree

I have to agree dev's are putting more effort into iPad apps. They make one app for all androids devices and two apps for ios devices. There is no section on the android market for tablet only apps like there is in the ios app store. I have a transformer and a ipad1. I use my ipad more often because nobody seems to want to make a rubber bumper for my transformer. I would never use my ipad if I did not have that rubber bumper. It is too thin and hurts my hands after a while.I want rubber edges on any table I use.

March 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JF

A little caveat – considering the huge number of tanked Android tablets, tablet specific versions for that platform are a gamble. On the other hand, it will take a fair amount of time for authors to ramp up their apps to the massive new resolution. Great to see the $100 drop in price for the iPad 2.

March 8, 2012 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Getting tired

I lol'd at "Post-PC" world. They don't know what they're talking about

March 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • GadgetCanada

100 Billion dollars in the bank says they do know what they are talking about

March 7, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tad Pole

The tablet is a consumer device. IT is fine for apps, but have you ever tried working on one? I have – and you can't.

March 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • krozar

I will always have a PC. Why? Because I do things you iPad users will never be able to even comprehend. I bet you don't even know what the term "chipset" it or "SLI" or "KrossFire"

March 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scotty Amen

Some of you guys sound like my grandpa saying he'll never get rid of his slide rule. And he never did. Should I get off your lawn, too?

March 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • JF

When a single brand of tablet outsells everything in HP's catalogue, that is worth taking notice. Jobs announced the death of optical several years ago and around 40% of Apple customers over the past year appear to agree. "PostPC" is a bit of the same, but I would imagine that a large number of consumers who bought an iPad will end up spending more time with the device than on their computer. Being heavy into content creation, I'm definitely not one of them, but I completely understand how others would make very good use of an iPad.

March 8, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • McGuffin

Haha seriously. Until iPads have full-fledged spreadsheets, word processors, image editors, integrated development environments, etc., not to mention keyboards, they will never replace desktop/laptop PCs. Oh wait, if they had keyboards, they would BE desktops/laptops. Imbeciles. All their billions in sales doesn't mean they replaced PCs; it means they opened up a new market.

March 8, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. krozar

It's another Apple story.

March 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • McGuffin

I'm surprised they don't have an entire channel for this nonsense. iNN; the marketing practically writes itself.

March 8, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. krozar

Apple, the company who will forever have to live in Steve job's shadow.

March 7, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. notapplh8ter

where's my comment? is the posting being filtered?

March 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. letgoofmyears

They haven't stopped development of Flash. they've only stopped development of MOBILE flash. There is HUGE difference between the two, as most Android tablets, and maybe even some of the phones, aren't using MOBILE flash anyway. And until HTML5 becomes as widely used as flash is now, which is going to take a while, flash will continue to rule.

As to the "upgrades", the only one that caught my attention was the retina display. It sounds totally friggin' sweet. Hopefully, that will encourage other tablet manufacturers to develop better displays themselves. The rest of the upgrades were "meh" at best. A 5 MP camera? Really?

Please. Wake me up when their hardware catches up to my Transformer Prime, then we'll talk.

March 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • SJTHC

As an owner of iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 4I do love the retina display. Besides that, below is the partial comparison between Transformer Primer released in Dec. 2011 and iPad 3:

CPU –

MicroSD slot –
      T.P.: Yes
      iPad 3: No

Micro-HDMI Interface to your HD TV –
      T.P.: Yes
      iPad 3: No

Keyboard dock with additional battery:
      T.P.: Yes
      iPad 3: No

March 7, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • McGuffin

HTML 5 isn't a complete replacement for RIAs using Flash or Silverlight, especially if you want your app's code to be secure. It's unfortunate that so many people are billing it as the next universal thing. Just like tablet PCs, it effectively takes computer technology back a few years, in this case by standardizing to the lowest common denominator.

March 8, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. taco

nice toy

March 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. APPLeSucks

The mentality of an apple user. Pixals I dont know what they are but I gatta have one.

March 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • midwestrngrl

not much diff than that of a rabid pc fan. i use both...

March 7, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • McGuffin

Are there rabid PC fans, or just people who, you know, use computers to be productive?

March 8, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. Doug Dolde

I'm not buying this one either.

March 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. happy

APPLE SUCKS

March 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. matt houston

Eh...not impressed. I been using Apple stuff since 1994.

March 8, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |