Romney takes six of 10 states on Super Tuesday
GOP presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum both found reason to celebrate on Super Tuesday.
March 7th, 2012

Romney takes six of 10 states on Super Tuesday

Mitt Romney's showing in six states was not a super one for the Republican presidential hopeful, who failed to produce the convincing wins needed to demonstrate his ability to generate support among diehard conservatives.

It was best illustrated by Romney's big Super Tuesday win in the bellwether state of Ohio, where he eked out a win over Rick Santorum, after failing to attract strong support from tea party conservatives and evangelical conservatives.

The issue dogs Romney as he heads into the Kansas caucuses on Saturday, and primaries in Mississippi and Alabama on March 13. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Santorum are focusing on races in those conservative states in their battle to become the lone right-wing challenger to the more moderate Romney.

"He still has a problem with the base," said Ari Fleischer, a CNN contributor who was press secretary for President George W. Bush. "That base problem may make him attractive to independents if he gets to a general" election, but can work against Romney in the primary season.

Complete Super Tuesday results

Romney won his home state of Massachusetts as well as Ohio, Idaho, Vermont, Virginia and Alaska, while Santorum took North Dakota, Oklahoma and Tennessee, according to unofficial tallies.

Gingrich grabbed a vital triumph in his home state of Georgia, while Texas Rep. Ron Paul failed to win in any of the states up for grabs.

The Super Tuesday contests in 10 states put 419 delegates up for grabs.

FULL STORY
  1. martin

I think me as a latino obama needs to be replace americans wants jobs not welfare or food stamps

March 7, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Armando

I think that Obama has done enough harm to this country and if we don't vote him off it's just going get worse under his watch!

March 7, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

You are welcome to your opinion just like everyone else.

March 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Hi, pmk! How are you?

He does look like the cat that just ate the canary, no offense to Powder,...but the word smug comes to mind every time I see him.

March 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmk1953

I'm just dandy. Dee and I are kinda sharing a pos car she found. I've done some work on it and I think it'll last a while now. I helped my dad do some wiring. Now that we have transportation the boss and I are spending a lot of time together. I don't have as much time to jabber. Is Brutus related to the usual suspect for ignorance? He sure seems like him. Powder just walked across my head. I was typing instead of petting her.

March 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brutus

Our tax dollars are failing our illegal aliens in our education system. One reading of Martin's social economic analysis indicates my point. Too bad he knows how to swim. Maybe the drug cartel will kidnap him and keep him in Mexico, 6 feet below.

March 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • cc

It a shame when an illegal immigrant does bad in our school system...

March 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brutus

Pmk was injured in a motorcycle accident. Why don't you go visit pmk in the hospital, and stay there.

March 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Derek

Why is everybody so upset that Romney isn't (or might not be) an extreme conservative? If Obama is an extreme liberal, a moderate conservative would get all the conservative vote and most moderate votes, thus winning the election. If the republican goal is to take down Obama, then Romney is the only one that makes real sense for the nomination.

Anyway, I refuse to vote until I get a good Libertarian candidate to vote for. Paul is close, but too crazy for me.

March 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |