Romney takes six of 10 states on Super Tuesday
GOP presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum both found reason to celebrate on Super Tuesday.
March 7th, 2012

Romney takes six of 10 states on Super Tuesday

Mitt Romney's showing in six states was not a super one for the Republican presidential hopeful, who failed to produce the convincing wins needed to demonstrate his ability to generate support among diehard conservatives.

It was best illustrated by Romney's big Super Tuesday win in the bellwether state of Ohio, where he eked out a win over Rick Santorum, after failing to attract strong support from tea party conservatives and evangelical conservatives.

The issue dogs Romney as he heads into the Kansas caucuses on Saturday, and primaries in Mississippi and Alabama on March 13. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Santorum are focusing on races in those conservative states in their battle to become the lone right-wing challenger to the more moderate Romney.

"He still has a problem with the base," said Ari Fleischer, a CNN contributor who was press secretary for President George W. Bush. "That base problem may make him attractive to independents if he gets to a general" election, but can work against Romney in the primary season.

Complete Super Tuesday results

Romney won his home state of Massachusetts as well as Ohio, Idaho, Vermont, Virginia and Alaska, while Santorum took North Dakota, Oklahoma and Tennessee, according to unofficial tallies.

Gingrich grabbed a vital triumph in his home state of Georgia, while Texas Rep. Ron Paul failed to win in any of the states up for grabs.

The Super Tuesday contests in 10 states put 419 delegates up for grabs.

FULL STORY
  1. This_blank

The GOP is running a tight race for 2nd place

March 7, 2012 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. This_blank

I am interested in who the GOP picks as their sacrificial lamb to Obama!

March 7, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. This_blank

If republicans think they have any chance of winning the presidental election they are more diluded than they have already clearly proven themselves to be to the independants like myself

March 7, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. That_blank

If Mormons think they have any chance of winning the presidential election they are more diluted than Catholics, Baptists, Moors, or the offspring of Arab slavemasters whom have held office. We need a Jew to run for President. President Yacob Benjamin Silverstein. What? It's as American as Barack Hussein Obama.

March 7, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. AMERICA 1st

Elect me dictator and ill have everybody booted out! LMAO

March 7, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. AMERICA 1st

Then id hire Rush as my official spokesman!

March 7, 2012 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. MNLFL

.......?

March 7, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

The numbers of turn out at the polls are seem dismal.

March 7, 2012 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Good morning, Scottish Mama.
      I'm saddened to see the Republican Party habitually condemned to continue driving with vision limited to a rear view mirror. I've voted for a Democratic presidential candidate only twice in my life (LBJ and Obama), and I cannot support any of these four Republicans. I stay with Obama while maintaining a basically Republican mentality concerning personal responsibility.
      It's not these four men: it's the evolving issues to which my long-preferred party cannot adapt.
      Regardless of one's personal faith, it doesn't make sense to campaign on Christianity and bigotry in this era.
      I have Republican friends who cannot see that the party has to alter some of its positions or continue to lose elections. When I discuss platform planks with them in their Park Avenue apartments or houses by the ocean, they mumble about "traditional values" and make more martinis.
      I'll never forget their disappointed and shocked expressions the night Obama won.
      They said, "we'll win next time."
      I think that Republicans have to adapt or become extinct.

March 7, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Luke

I believe Mitt Romney shares some of G. W. Bush's philosophy. He is going to push for tax breaks on the very wealthy. How true, "limited rear view mirror."

March 7, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

ZZZZZZZZZ- ---Whut snort gasp snort huh what---It's not over yet ? Wake me when it;s done.----ZZZZZZZZZ

March 7, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sofa King

If Romney takes the nomination over the objection of social conservatives, that is best thing that could happen to him. He could spin it to look like a social moderate when he runs against Obama.

March 7, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sofa King

My whiskey is too strong, so I diluted it with water. I am deluded in thinking this makes me less of an alcoholic.

March 7, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Perk

What is the difference in a Con -Trail vs a Chem Trail + Aluminum Oxide ? Does Romney know ? What is Romney's position on HARRP and has he been to see one of these operations ? What does he think about what they're calling FEMA Camps ? Etta James....."Take Me To The River" and wash the Aluminum Oxide off. Do we need to be teaching this in science class in Public Education to bring about awareness and or researching for prevention ? Are we checking the water soil samples and rain samples enough ?

March 7, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Sofa King

Any candidate that panders to your consituency is doomed.

March 7, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. pmk1953

Every time I see that smirk on Santorum's face, I get the feeling he's thinking, "Wait till you find out what I really have planned for you." It just looks evil to me.

March 7, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

You just spoke Word and Truth.

March 7, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Superman

Im LDS and i would not vote for romney! You want to talk toyal reform ,and disciplinarian! This would be a big mistake to put him in office. DO NOT VOTE ROBOTICS INTO OFFICE. If you do your right to free speech will still exist , but the will and votes of the people will be unheard

March 7, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |