March 8th, 2012

EU kills Kill Bill-style video over racism complaints

Somewhere, Quentin Tarantino is laughing hysterically.

Trying to riff on one of the bad-boy movie director's iconic characters, the European Union has landed itself in a whole mess of trouble.

The 27-nation bloc released a video last week trying to promote an anti-racist message, then pulled it days later amid accusations that the clip itself was racist.

It features a white woman wearing a yellow track suit, like that of the Uma Thurman character The Bride in Tarantino's two-part kung-fu fest "Kill Bill."

Standing alone in an abandoned train station, she is threatened first by an east Asian karate master, then a scimitar-wielding turbaned Arab, and finally a bare-chested, dreadlocked black man.

Filed under: Politics • World
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Racism?
    I am a seventy-three-year-old white man. When I was young, I demonstrated and spoke for civil rights and an end of all racism. I have never behaved in a "racist" manner.
    I have lived long enough to become the target of generally acceptable racism. When I read negative comments about "old white men," members of other groups seldom defend me from such prejudice.
    If I could call myself "a young black man," that would generally be received positively.
    It would be even more appreciatively received if I could call myself "a young black woman."
    As "an old white man," I have to accept prejudice, know my place, and keep my mouth shut except to advocate for the removal of "racism.".
    I say: free this video. Let it go.

March 8, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I do not expect many comments in agreement with what I posted at 9:57 AM. Many are afraid to say what I said.
    I do expect comments along these lines;
    payback is (whatever it is(;
    Karma comes around;
    you had your chance and blew it;
    a list of names;
    go back to Europe;
    a repeated line from a jealous little orifice who once wrote to me, "I'll be glad when your fingers are cold and lifeless."
    Free the video anyway.

March 8, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Superman

@joey..........................hats off to you!!!!!! Its call a wiser gentleman,,, and than if you have grey hair its called the color of wisdom..... Age is just a number. To me or perhapes you as well .... But to some its pasture time. But you helped to build what we have now so thats also appreciated. But im afraid about whats going to happen when we get some of these saggers as leaders. SCARRRYYY!!!!

March 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

What is the message this video was supposed to spread ?
    Its twisted and not even funny. Racism is embedded in psyche and always will be there, these trivial efforts are self mocking.
    Countries can only pass laws against discrimination cannot eliminate racism. Ours is an example.

March 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fernace

The reason for the "good ol' white boy" disdain, JIF, is that even as we blog, these types of men are trying to dismantle womens healthcare & reproductive rights! The "good ol'boy" network is also hard at work finding ways to deny gays their consti.tu.tional rights! I'm not "against" these men, only the fact that they want to deny rights to whole segments of the population, based on Their religious /moral opinions! That's why "old white men" are now stuck w/this reputation! Even those, like yourself, who don't deserve it! Perhaps if these men could learn consideration, tolerance & the definition of separation of church & state, the "stigma" might eventually disappear! That's what's going on here; not sure why this European video is considered racist! Because a white chick beats the cr.ap out of men of color!? They should add "male bashing" (literally 🙂 ), too & include the whole spectrum of predjudice! I'm being sarcastic, of course!!

March 8, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I use the term "good ol' boy" as derisively as you do.
      A good ol' boy, to me, is usually a hick whom I would not know.

March 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gordon

I think the video is okay and can't see where the racist issue is! I have never had a problem with anyone of any race that live in my area. The Muslim and Hindu as well as others are all very friendly, and often help me out as I do for them too! There is too much hype about racism, and although there are always right wing oppinions out there, the problem is accelerated by the media who should be more careful with their reports and comments, as they are the one's who are spreading the dirt about! I care for my neighbors and friends, and we get on great!

March 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

@ Gordon

Good intent & well said.
    Hate & fear are two emotions we have seen exploited by politicos and those in our civil society who have their own axe to grind. People living in fear and divided are easy to rule.

March 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

JIF:
    Congratulations.
    You are one of the good guys.
    However, IMO, most of your generation related to Archie Bunker, and sadly, represent a large number in Congress.

March 8, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy; @ fernace: @ Tu tti;
    Most of my longtime friends were as socially progressive as I during the 1950s and after that. Our skins resembled a Howard Johnson's menu, and it was my parents who thought in the manner of the current House Republicans and Archie Bunker.
    In spite of everything I did–and still do–to get the oppressed their rights, to a lot of strangers I look like "the Man," especially in a good suit.
    Being handled by strangers as if I were the Man is full-blown racism to me.
    We don't need any racism.
    Sincerely,
    OLD WHITE MAN ©

March 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GeoffBaker

Africa for the Africans,Asia for the Asians,white countries for EVERYBODY!

Mass immigration and "assimilation" forced on all white countries and ONLY white countries.

Genocide is genocide,it makes no difference if it is accomplished by bullets and mustard gas,or mass immigration and social engineering.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

March 8, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The SHADOW KNOWS

@ JIF < I know EXACTLY what you are saying and thank you for saying it !

March 9, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Many white citizens were very active in civil rights during the 1950s: does the public assume that we all died?
    I knew white people who walked African-American students into schools in Oxford and Little Rock, and a white man, an MD, who had an alligator put into his motel room at Selma.
    During the 1970s and later, I met many African-American activists in New York, some Black Panthers, some associates of Dr. King. I spoke of the 1950s to them.
    "We didn't need you," one of them told me. "We could have done it by ourselves."
    I disagree. In any case, many who are now Old White Men helped.
    I played at the New York memorial service for one of the young men recovered from the dam near Philadelphia, MS.
    I did plenty.
    Many Old White Men did plenty.

March 9, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Parijat Desai

CNN, appreciate your whimsical opening line and comment re: EU's efforts backfiring.

But in case you yourself want to avoid backlash, considering training your writers to have a wee bit more cultural savvy. The second martial artist is not an Arab, he is Indian. He's doing a South Indian martial art called Kalari Payatu from the Kerala region. The third performer is doing Brazilian capoeira. That last one - I thought - was super easy to identify, but I guess there are no limits to American ignorance...

Still I think we're a bit more savvy than the Euros around race. In their fantasy, Is the white chick who gets them to sit in lotus together, supposed to be Angela Merkel?

March 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |