March 8th, 2012

U.S. and North Korea press on with food aid talks

Talks between U.S. and North Korean officials in Beijing to thrash out the details of a plan to allow the resumption of food aid to the North continued into a second day Thursday.

Robert King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights issues, is meeting representatives from Pyongyang to finalize points like what ports will be used to dock incoming ships, how the distribution of the food will be monitored and which nongovernmental organizations will be involved.

"We've made progress," King said Wednesday after two sessions of talks. "We still have issues to resolve and will be meeting tomorrow to deal with those issues."

North Korea last week announced an agreement to freeze its nuclear and missile tests, along with uranium enrichment programs, and allow the return of U.N. nuclear inspectors. The United States said it would provide 240,000 metric tons of nutritional assistance to the impoverished country.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Politics • U.S. • World
  1. Dingleberry

Mmmm yummy. This article made me think of food. I want smoked brisket now.

March 8, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dingleberry

The solar storm is almost here. Take cover.

March 8, 2012 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dingleberry

To all women of the world. Happy International Woman's Day. Get in line for a kiss. Who's first.

March 8, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "On The Lunatic Fringe"

So Pyongyang (PingPongGang) wants envoys of food (from us?), following thier recent threat of war involving the U.S. and South Korea?
    So let me summize. They want....two double quarter pounders with cheese, lg. fries, and lg. Coke to give them enough strength "to push the launch button", at us and South Korea?
    You can't be seriose.

March 8, 2012 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "On The Lunatic Fringe"

Somebody just got off the phone with Bashar al-Assad, and said he would send Pyongyang a Visa Gift Card.
    There folks...problem solved. Don't waste our money on this.

March 8, 2012 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "On The Lunatic Fringe"

Who knows, maybe Michele O. will send Pyongyang a handsome little food nutrition chart showing the 3 major food groups...cat, dog, and rice.

March 8, 2012 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. O

@fringe. Id have you sent to syria for stupidity. And have you try your dumb crap nutrition food chart yourself,

March 8, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. O

Ill have the side order of FRINGE well done but could you keep it in the oven until tommorrow ? Thank you

March 8, 2012 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. O

To many in n korea? Blame kimdoemyoung of the north

March 8, 2012 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. catpaw

What part of the food aid doesn't get skimmed for gov't officials and military will go on the black market. No need to feed peasants since they breed like rabbits, anyway.

March 8, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

I think here is some food for thought: no food until the stop being militarily agressive and the un gets to come in on regular intervals to look how the food is distributed and look at how nuclear plants are being used. We get to look how people are fed and they treat their people with respect, humanely. Once the people get a taste of freedom there will be no going back, they will fight for it themselves.

March 8, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. BOMBO ©

I composed a long comment, copied it (as I always do when they are long) and clicked "post'. It didn't go. Then I pasted and removed/ changed potential trigger words several times, but still no luck. So I gave up. It had to do with letting them have my lunch scraps. I'll let you use your imagination. But it was gold, I tell ya.

March 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

an apple core

March 8, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BOMBO ©

a bit of something-or-other that was stuck between my upper right bicuspids

March 8, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I removed it with a bit of polyethylene, because I don't keep denatal floss at work

March 8, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BOMBO ©

Paper towel?

March 8, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO ©

Forgive me, I'm trying to figure out what the "bad" word was. I'm stumped.

March 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |