Soccer standout, homecoming queen tries out for LSU football
Ex-LSU soccer star Mo Isom would like to bring her kicking talents to one of the best football programs in the nation.
March 9th, 2012

Soccer standout, homecoming queen tries out for LSU football

Mo Isom already has been quite a presence at Louisiana State. The first LSU athlete to be voted homecoming queen, she was one of the top goalkeepers in the Southeastern Conference for four years, displaying not only useful shot-stopping skills but also the type of powerful kicks that score goals from the other end of the soccer field.

Now she’s trying to show her kicking power translates to that, ahem, other kind of football. The one on the gridiron, where LSU fields one of the best programs in the country.

Isom, a 21-year-old whose collegiate soccer career wrapped up last fall, is one of a few students trying out for placekicker on LSU's football team - last year's national championship runners-up - this month.

She faces gigantic odds. LSU is returning its starting field goal kicker - Drew Alleman, who tied for the nation’s best field goal percentage at 88.9% last year - and kickoff specialist James Hairston.

But she made some long field goals and deep kickoffs in tryouts this week, and she says she’d be ready to take some big hits in one of the nation’s premier football conferences, the SEC.

“Do you see my size?” Isom told CNN affiliate WBRZ on Thursday, the second day of placekicker tryouts at LSU. “Everyone thinks that I am the average size and weight of a female. I am 6-foot-1, almost, and weigh about 190 pounds. Yes, I just said that on camera. It is all muscle."

Six-foot-one, 190 pounds. That almost compares favorably to star LSU cornerback Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu, whose 5-foot-9, 175-pound frame was all he needed to terrify opposing offenses for two years.

“I can take a hit. I’m just fearless,” she said.

LSU head coach Les Miles has said it’s unlikely the team will take a walk-on kicker, unless that kicker is exceptional, The Times-Picayune reported Friday.

In a news conference this week, Miles said Isom would be considered “if she gave us an opportunity and an advantage."

“There has to be an advantage to the team,” Miles said. “The good thing about this is that she’s an athlete. She’s been through team before, and she understands commitment. I would have much less reservations with her than I would with any number of other people who frankly didn’t know what they were getting into.”

Miles said he had no timetable on making a decision on tryout placekickers.

An LSU video posted on YouTube this week shows Isom hitting a 40-yard field goal indoors.  She said she struggled with outdoor kicking on Tuesday because of the wind, but hit two 50-yard field goals on Thursday, The Times-Picayune reported.

Isom recorded 30 shutouts and a 43-17-9 record in 69 starts for the LSU women’s soccer team from 2008 to 2011.

She would be far from the first female kicker to make an NCAA Division I team. Women who’ve made such teams include Ashley Martin, who in 2001 became the first woman to score in a Division I-AA football game, and Katie Hnida, whose two extra points for New Mexico in August 2003 made her the first woman to score in a Division I-A contest.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Football • Louisiana • Sports
  1. Portland tony

Why not have the LSU football team try out for women's soccer? This is a good PR job, but get real!

March 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland Mike

Hey Tony. What up. This is Mike from Portland. Remember when we hooked up and you schlobed my knob? Let's get together again soon so you can finish ramming my pooper with your super-sized peter!

March 10, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. ArmyPilot Mom

Well Mo can kick. If those football players have the skills needed for soccer, then they can try out for that team. Yes get real. Mo Isom is the real deal. Can she kick for the #1 team. We shall see...

March 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Someone on another thread said

she is a wombed man.

March 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gerard

She's pretty hot I wouldn't mind tackling her

March 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. soccer keeper dad

I have a 14 year old keeper, who regularly stands in and takes hits harder than many boys her age could without crying. No doubt Month could handle a hit as good or better than most kickers.

March 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. john

I don't care if she is 6'1" and 190 pounds of pure muscle, I still don't want her rack getting in the way of her kicking motion. Plus, what happens when it's that time of the month, and she gets moody and doesn't "feel like" kicking that day?

March 9, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

On those days, the coach will just tell her imagine the ball is her boyfriend's head.

March 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. spyder

and men dont get moody? Im a cancer and i feel the moons effect every month. Was full moon last nite. I had extra nrg. Awoooo!

March 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Goodguy1

Soccer Players just kill the ball. Ask the Field Goal Kicker from the Oakland Raiders. At the very least also try her out for place kicking and punting. I would be willing to bet that females can punt the ball better than men, Men are more aggressive while women are more finesse. I bet she could drop a ball on the opposing teams 1 yard line very easily.

March 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Semper fi

Get a Girls Football team. Until men can play on any team girls can't. This isn't kids in Little League. After 14 Girls play on Girls Teams Boys Play on Boys teams. Unless its a gender neutral sport. My Daughter played on the boys team in Water Polo til She turned 14. Now it is all girls or all boys teams.

March 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassie

There are no competative woman's football teams Same for wrestling. Every sport of woman's (gymnastics and volleyball included) there is a male couterpart. There is not a female couterpart for every male sport.

March 10, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Hey, if this young lady has the ability to put that ball trough the uprights, then let her have a go at it.
    Just remember though, it's Over the goal post.

March 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

My daughter had a remarkable foot, the coach would have her take every corner kick in soccer. I tried to get her to go out for the football team, she almost did, but then we talked about being hit and getting concusions, then it was not so attractive a game. Women get concusions more than men.

March 9, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. scranton

One blocked field goal away from being badly injured.

March 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Midranger

Oh come on! How many of those feather merchant male place kickers get hurt? That are the most protected player on the field for FG's or PAT's and last one down the field on kick offs. She is in no more danger of getting hurt than any other kicker. The equality issues are valid points but not letting her play because she is female doesn't wash.

March 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sparty Rulez

She may be very good, that won't stop some guys from trying to hurt her because she is a woman.

March 10, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. sue

Feeling threatened much, fellas? Don't knock it if you haven't even tried. If the woman has the skills the team needs, more power to her!

March 10, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
    • sue poo

I would pound dat chunky poop chute of hers with my monster-sized jig-a-boo dong! She could use a good plump rump pumpin. My meaty sausage is primed and ready Mo!!

March 10, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

people you have to remember women liberation have women thinking they can do what a man can do.

March 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. EastCoastMike

Question, is she really good or is she good for a girl?

March 10, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |