Soccer standout, homecoming queen tries out for LSU football
Ex-LSU soccer star Mo Isom would like to bring her kicking talents to one of the best football programs in the nation.
March 9th, 2012

Soccer standout, homecoming queen tries out for LSU football

Mo Isom already has been quite a presence at Louisiana State. The first LSU athlete to be voted homecoming queen, she was one of the top goalkeepers in the Southeastern Conference for four years, displaying not only useful shot-stopping skills but also the type of powerful kicks that score goals from the other end of the soccer field.

Now she’s trying to show her kicking power translates to that, ahem, other kind of football. The one on the gridiron, where LSU fields one of the best programs in the country.

Isom, a 21-year-old whose collegiate soccer career wrapped up last fall, is one of a few students trying out for placekicker on LSU's football team - last year's national championship runners-up - this month.

She faces gigantic odds. LSU is returning its starting field goal kicker - Drew Alleman, who tied for the nation’s best field goal percentage at 88.9% last year - and kickoff specialist James Hairston.

But she made some long field goals and deep kickoffs in tryouts this week, and she says she’d be ready to take some big hits in one of the nation’s premier football conferences, the SEC.

“Do you see my size?” Isom told CNN affiliate WBRZ on Thursday, the second day of placekicker tryouts at LSU. “Everyone thinks that I am the average size and weight of a female. I am 6-foot-1, almost, and weigh about 190 pounds. Yes, I just said that on camera. It is all muscle."

Six-foot-one, 190 pounds. That almost compares favorably to star LSU cornerback Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu, whose 5-foot-9, 175-pound frame was all he needed to terrify opposing offenses for two years.

“I can take a hit. I’m just fearless,” she said.

LSU head coach Les Miles has said it’s unlikely the team will take a walk-on kicker, unless that kicker is exceptional, The Times-Picayune reported Friday.

In a news conference this week, Miles said Isom would be considered “if she gave us an opportunity and an advantage."

“There has to be an advantage to the team,” Miles said. “The good thing about this is that she’s an athlete. She’s been through team before, and she understands commitment. I would have much less reservations with her than I would with any number of other people who frankly didn’t know what they were getting into.”

Miles said he had no timetable on making a decision on tryout placekickers.

An LSU video posted on YouTube this week shows Isom hitting a 40-yard field goal indoors.  She said she struggled with outdoor kicking on Tuesday because of the wind, but hit two 50-yard field goals on Thursday, The Times-Picayune reported.

Isom recorded 30 shutouts and a 43-17-9 record in 69 starts for the LSU women’s soccer team from 2008 to 2011.

She would be far from the first female kicker to make an NCAA Division I team. Women who’ve made such teams include Ashley Martin, who in 2001 became the first woman to score in a Division I-AA football game, and Katie Hnida, whose two extra points for New Mexico in August 2003 made her the first woman to score in a Division I-A contest.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Football • Louisiana • Sports
  1. This_blank

We have seen this before tell us when she actually makes the team! Or better yet tell us when they let the boys try out for girls teams. All things being EQUAL!

March 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jack

It's placekicking, big woop. When a female makes the team at another position get back to us.

March 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack-off

That is what I do when my pal aint around. I think about polishin his knob and tastin that salty goo! When he gets home, we iz gonna pack some fudge!!

March 11, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ricksta

She's gotta be able to tackle if the returner gets past the defenders in front.

March 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Don't anyone be surprised to see guys willing to take a flag for a late hit. It has happened before, but yeah, you are definitely right about being able to tackle on a run back.

March 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo3507

She's 6'1" 190 I'm pretty sure she can handle it.

March 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

im 6'0 202lbs bench 350lbs, squat 500lbs, deadlift 500lbs and have the cardio of a 21 year old at 47 years old and would break her in half. Come you idiots this is for publicity she couldnt take hits at the varsity level in highschool. So if you believe we are all equal let me know when a woman beats Usan Bolt in the 100 and 200 meters.

March 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • McLovin

Let her try...I really want to see a woman get tackled by five three-hundred pound men. Its called body hardening she can take it. Just imagine a guy hitting her at full force like in the NFL .....oh man you thought seeing a two-hundred pound guy flying through the air was something!!!! You haven't seen nothing yet!!!!

March 11, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Right

Im 2'5 can bench 500 lbs, was in the iron man challenge and can break you in half. C'mon now throwing out numbers and acting macho in an Internet forum? Wow what a tough guy. So FOS

March 11, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

I iz all jacked on roids'! I have been juicin for 20 yrs now. Although I got that hulk hogan tan leathery skin and ripped muscles under flabby skin, I feel great. So great, that I want to pound a gayboy right in da keister!!

March 11, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ricksta

Considering the way LSU looked in the BCU Championship, they might could use her.

March 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TriXen

BCS... and "might could"?! I don't know what to say. Just...WOW.

March 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Agent Frank

I'd hit that !

March 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TriXen

I wish her the best of luck!

March 10, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vince

once females are capable of playing football at this level, they are no longer females and just mutant freaks. Of course at best they could only be a kicker...but still.

March 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tom in Il

Good for her. I'm a 6 foot 210 pound male but shes an athlete. I wouldn't want to go head to head with her.

March 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

@Vince that staement was not for you it was for this BOZO Tom in ll

March 10, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Yepyep6598

She is sadly mistaken if she believes she can take a hit from a football player who is benching between 350lbs to 500lbs what could and more likely if she would to take a crackback on an kickoff or punt running down the field the result could end up in permanent paralysis. What did she prove? 6'0 190lbs dont mean nothing on the gridiron.

March 10, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greek American

Welcome to Louisiana

March 11, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Greek American

Mmmmmmmmmmm Mo !

March 11, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. ArmyPilot Mom

She hit two 50 foot field goals today. Not bad.

March 11, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cameron

If a girl wants to try out for football...don't do it in the SEC. It's friggin' suicide

March 11, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. michael

I will be impressed when someone with no legs gets a college kicking postion.

March 11, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. N2

Please don't pick her up just because she's female. I'm so sick of that crap.

March 11, 2012 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • N2

We feminists iz gonna come beat your door down and strap you down. We gonna take a giant dil-do and ram it right up your poop chute! Time for you to realize womens rights apply to sports too! Just cuz u are into balley and figure skating, it gives us the ammo to show we can bust out some quality athletes in mens sports!

March 11, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |