March 9th, 2012

Syria says 'terrorists' armed with Israeli-made weapons, accuses Turkey of smuggling

The opposition accused Syrian forces Friday of storming villages to chase down and kill soldiers who defected, while President Bashar al-Assad's government claimed the attacks targeted "terrorists" carrying Israeli-made weapons used to kill civilians.

The virulent see-saw allegations of atrocities in the hard-hit western province of Hama come as world leaders and humanitarian organizations rankle over how to staunch a crisis that has left thousands dead.

By early Friday morning, at least two people had been killed in fighting, according to the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition rights group. That followed news Thursday that at least 62 people were killed, according to the Local Coordination Committees of Syria, an opposition network.

Opposition groups urged thousands Friday to take to the streets in Syria as part of weekly anti-government protests, which have been routinely targeted by security forces since they first began a year ago. Al-Assad's brutal crackdown on demonstrations calling for political reforms led to an uprising demanding the ouster of the regime.

Al-Assad has denied opposition claims of killing civilians, saying his forces are targeting terrorists and foreign fighters.

Post by:
Filed under: World
  1. chrissy

Lmao @ Jeff, you rock! Philip and mary of course, consider themselves to be the 2nd and 3rd comming of Christ! But i doubt either one of em walk on water! You both keep singing, we are right, its the rest of the world is wrong! And yet *do nothing*

March 9, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Jj

All hail Chrissy! The only opinion that truelly matters

March 9, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Jester

We call that 'Want Some Whiiiiiiiiiiiine With That Cheese?" Syndrome. Jj also suffers from it.

March 9, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "On The Lunatic Fringe"

@Schoolmarm
    O.K. Dead on everything I post? How about just simply DEAD.
    More like 33? Ah...so you did do some reading. Probably more than me (I'm dead remember?). No. I'll give you that. 33 IS a good answer.
    Sorry..but I really have to go now. Help get the shopping done, before my daily hour long drive to work. Yuk. 🙂

March 9, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

@ jj, i NEVER said my opinion was the only one that matters! Im just sayin anyone can *talk the talk* but if they dont walk the walk, it dont mean crap!

March 9, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. SP00N MAN

I just love reading this, and all other discussion boards on the internet, because you all have such a high opinion of one another.

March 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

Its chaos in there. players from all over involved including our Special Ops since December.
    Appears the international community is at a loss finding a viable approach. I blame the Arab League mostly.

March 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

@ saywhat, ME TOO! Bout time they start cleaning up that mess they got goin on! How many people have to die because of a few greedy egotrippin maniacs?

March 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sjdsh

Both Gadhafi and Assad were not lying.US supports violent takeovers of independent sovereign nations by any means
    necessary,including lying and terrorism.

March 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Who says? You? Proooovvveee it!

March 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Texana

Israel residential areas have been hit with dozens of rockets from terrorists in Gaza today, with children injured. I wonder why that it not news on any of the news sources such as Fox or CNN? I guess they want to ignore it so that if later after hundreds of rockets and Israel retaliates, the news sources can act as though this Israeli "aggression" came out of nowhere. I think that these terorrist acts need to be covered.

March 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Sadly, for the same reason they don't usually report gang murders in New York and LA. It's too common.

March 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. High Hopes

I don't know who did what but find it amazing that there are people, actually, believe that an American or Jew can lead anyone someplace they don't want to go. But, let's say it's true that America and Israel spread propaganda offering Syrians a thirst for democracy. Does that give one the right to open-fire on peaceful demonstrators, blowing up their neighborhoods and executingwomen and children in a blinding rage? Maybe there was, at one time, a sense of order in Syria; but, obviously, they weren't all THAT happy because they are the ones whose streets are stained with blood and they still aren't giving up.

I find it disturbing to read news reports that refer to the protesters and activists terrorists! After we have applauded them for their efforts during the protests and seen how it has cost them their homes, their children and, for some their liberty to remain in their homeland; we've come to question their decisions?

ASSAD, through his actions; has proven to me, atleast, why a silent promice of freedom could be so powerful. Right or wrong, democracy and the freedom of choice through elections is what the people of Syria want; and is what America stands for.

There is no time to question their decisions, it's time to stand up for what is right and oust the man who turned peaceful demonstrations into a bloodbath!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

March 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

@ high hopes, BRAVO girl! You summed it up quite well! 🙂

March 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. High Hopes

Usaoligarch @ 10:01:

That last comment was for you...

@Chrissy:

Thanks 😉

Still pluggin away on this tiny phone.
    Sorry about grammar or spelling,
    My harddrive got fried...

Hope you're doing well, gotta fight
    tooth and nail!

Love.
    Hope

March 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

lmao @ hope, understand totally, my phone is almost 3 years old. Luckily, its as indomitable as me, lmao! And i still like it even when it gives me crap.

March 9, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. High Hopes

After sleeping on it... I think Assad is a liar. He's executed innocent people, detained and tortured peaceful activists, killed foreign reporters and sniped out anyone who dare leave their homes, make-shift shelters.

He's the terrorist looking for a scapegoat… Now that he's in control of the press, he can say whatever he wants.

March 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |