Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash
The fingers were found in this trash bin a month ago.
March 13th, 2012

Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash

Police in Honolulu are asking for the public's help in finding the answers to a horrible mystery: How did the fingers of a child end up in a trash bin at a housing complex?

The fingers were found a month ago, according to a Honolulu Police Department news release.

"Laboratory testing has determined that the fingers are those of a child," police said in Monday's release.

The fingers are those of a girl, 2½ to 4 years old, CNN affiliate KHON-TV reported, citing police sources. Six fingers were recovered, according to the report.

Gina Rose Vendegna, who lives near the Kukui Gardens housing complex in Honolulu's Kalihi neighborhood, told KHON that she found the fingers in the trash bin while looking for material to recycle.

When she came across a zippered plastic bag with the fingers inside, she said, she mistook them for ginger root and took them home.

"I'm a gardener, and I recycle, and I thought I'd be able restore them. So I threw them in my purse," KHON quotes Vendegna as saying.

When she got home, she took a second look at her find.

"I knew for a fact those were fingers when I seen the fingernails. And people I tried showing them to tried telling me that it wasn't, that it might be monkey fingers. And I thought just by chance I'm going to call the Police Department, turn 'em in and let them decide," she told KHON.

Police said Vendegna was not a suspect.

Checks of missing person reports and local hospitals, as well as interviews of residents of the housing complex, have not turned up any leads, police told CNN affiliates.

"Twenty-five years in the department, I've not seen something like this where we've just found partial," police Sgt. Kim Buffett told affiliate Hawaii News Now.

Residents of the housing complex are scared.

"I have chicken skin," Noelani Dilyard told Hawaii News Now. "It's creepy. It really is."

Children who live in the complex and use a nearby playground said they were frightened, and adults said they'd be extra cautious with their kids.

"Maybe I never let them go out because, you know, scary," resident Monimer Serna said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Hawaii
  1. Idiots

Why? Seriously....

There is so much evil in this world.

March 13, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • the truth

There is so much SIN in the world. The root of the problem is SIN. People nedd JESUS so bad HE is the only way to overcome any sin and to be right with GOD.

March 13, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • tokencode

religion is the root of all evil, jesus was just the david karesh of his day

March 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Laurie

Has anyone checked the parents in the complex with children to see if perhaps there is a child that belongs to one of them that may be being horribly abused??

March 13, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Capt Obvious

I bet they never thought of that!

March 13, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Lee65

Bet somebody else already thought of that!

March 13, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mabel

Somebody will finger the perpetrator.

March 13, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • the truth

People need JESUs

March 13, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Feh

Win.

March 13, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Six-finger discount

People need Jesus ... the landscaper

March 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HeyZues

Something is really wrong with all of this I just cant put my finger on it

March 13, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ron31

This is a Hawaii Five-0 episode waiting to happen

March 13, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Niki

What is the lowest humanity can go?

March 13, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • M in OZ

Cases like this have nothing to do with "humanity". The thing that did this lost their humanity a long time ago if they ever had any to start with.

March 13, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. M in OZ

Cutting off fingers is usually done to hinder identification of adults. Maybe the child has their fingerprints on record with the department. If they check other bins in the neighbourhood they'll find the rest of her. So many kids in this World have are living in silent hell and no one knows. RIP baby girl.

March 13, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

I wonder if they can tell if the child was deceased before the removal of the fingers? Forensics.

March 13, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Niki

I for one don't want to know Mama.

March 13, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Sorry NIk I thought they could tell what they are dealing with first and then do a DNA for nationality and start narrowing it down to get closure for the baby girl.

March 13, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Niki

I got what you were saying Mama. The whole story is sick! tho.

March 13, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

They can usually tell if they were post or pre dead.

March 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JPX

How difficult would it be to solve this crime? It's an island. Just look for a kid with missing fingers.

March 13, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • HenryMiller

Uh, it's an island a million people live on.

March 13, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Saith

It isn't exactly cut off from the rest of the world...planes arrive and vacate Honolulu every day.

March 13, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. sick

could be someone from main land that brought kid over, killer her and went back to main land

March 13, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

I'm afraid M in OZ is right. I suspect the rest of the child was also disposed of. The only reason the fingers were found were because of an honest scavenger. Had she just discarded them, no one would know this child is potentially missing.

I do not believe the locals need to be worried for their children. For one, had a mad man done this to someone else's child, the crime would have been reported and probably would not have even been a story here. The fact that this is un-reported leads me to believe its domestic violence/ child abuse related. Secondly, this country cannot afford us to further shelter and pussify another generation. Protecting out children is one thing, but its better to teach them some street smart basics, self-defense and provide some form of adult supervision instead keeping them locked up inside.

March 13, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. cynthia billler

some of u ppl should be ashamed of yourselves. a helpless little baby girl could be dead n ur making sick jokes about it. get therapy.

March 13, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. chieatfetus

Gingeroot? How can it look like that?
    then she threw it in her purse? (yuck!).....it looks like some sausage to me in the photo, or something else!

March 13, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gloria

This is just tragic! I hope this crime can be solved as soon as possible!

March 13, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sarcasmo

Given that it's Hawaii, I'm surprised no tried to sell the fingers for meth.

March 13, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna

How truly ignorant. Here's some scissors...now go sprint.

March 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |