Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash
The fingers were found in this trash bin a month ago.
March 13th, 2012

Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash

Police in Honolulu are asking for the public's help in finding the answers to a horrible mystery: How did the fingers of a child end up in a trash bin at a housing complex?

The fingers were found a month ago, according to a Honolulu Police Department news release.

"Laboratory testing has determined that the fingers are those of a child," police said in Monday's release.

The fingers are those of a girl, 2½ to 4 years old, CNN affiliate KHON-TV reported, citing police sources. Six fingers were recovered, according to the report.

Gina Rose Vendegna, who lives near the Kukui Gardens housing complex in Honolulu's Kalihi neighborhood, told KHON that she found the fingers in the trash bin while looking for material to recycle.

When she came across a zippered plastic bag with the fingers inside, she said, she mistook them for ginger root and took them home.

"I'm a gardener, and I recycle, and I thought I'd be able restore them. So I threw them in my purse," KHON quotes Vendegna as saying.

When she got home, she took a second look at her find.

"I knew for a fact those were fingers when I seen the fingernails. And people I tried showing them to tried telling me that it wasn't, that it might be monkey fingers. And I thought just by chance I'm going to call the Police Department, turn 'em in and let them decide," she told KHON.

Police said Vendegna was not a suspect.

Checks of missing person reports and local hospitals, as well as interviews of residents of the housing complex, have not turned up any leads, police told CNN affiliates.

"Twenty-five years in the department, I've not seen something like this where we've just found partial," police Sgt. Kim Buffett told affiliate Hawaii News Now.

Residents of the housing complex are scared.

"I have chicken skin," Noelani Dilyard told Hawaii News Now. "It's creepy. It really is."

Children who live in the complex and use a nearby playground said they were frightened, and adults said they'd be extra cautious with their kids.

"Maybe I never let them go out because, you know, scary," resident Monimer Serna said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Hawaii
  1. HTuttle

Poor kid...I hear she threatened to release Obama's REAL birth certificate.

March 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joey rizzuto

tensor do you hug trees ihunt dogs beat them and eat them korean delacy

March 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Factors

Alright – who had a "hand" in this?

March 14, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lester Bangs

finger lickin' good.

March 13, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

Mabey the fingers where too bruised for a successful barbeque for a cannibal convention so they threw them out.

March 14, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jt_flyer

A little girl is hurt and Lester thinks is funny. You must care about some child somewhere. Imagine her....

March 14, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lester Bangs

Hawaii six o

March 13, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeG

You don't get concept. You make funny comments when people do something stupid and hurt themselves. Not when children are tortured. It's a difficult concept, but if you focus your giant intellect, maybe one day you will understand.

March 14, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. jason83

That's horrifying. Hopefully the girl wasn't with us when her fingers were removed. When they catch the person(s) responcible for this unbelievable act, I hope what was done to that poor child is done to them. Except instead of losing six, remove all 10 while they are awake, and NO pain medicine at all. Man, there a lot of sick people out there. Nothing angers me more than crimes commited against children and women.

March 13, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Nothing angers me more than people assuming criminal behavior when there is no evidence to support it.

March 13, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • shakham

@sam: So I guess the fingers just fell off and they put it in a ziploc bag and mistakenly threw them in the trash. Even desecrating a body is horrible.

March 14, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • JoeG

Yes, there must be dozens of perfectly innocent reasons for a child's fingers to end up in a dumpster. Why jump to the wild conclusion that a crime was committed?

March 14, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • P Mart

Crimes against women? In todays environment lets not assume that this was done by a man so easily. Moms do a lot of child abuse these days.

March 14, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. sam

Really makes a person wonder. If they were mistaken for ginger root and needed to be sent to a lab to determine their origin, we can assume they were quite old and dried up. If they were anywhere close to "fresh", it would be hard for anyone to not see that they are human fingers. One would also assume that the trash bin is emptied on a regular basis. So it stands to reason that someone had kept these fingers for quite some time and only just now decided to get rid of them.

For all we know, they could have come from an innocent accident years ago, where the child was treated at a hospital and taken care of, but for whatever reason, someone had the notion to hang onto the fingers as a sort of morbid trophy, sort of like how people used to be able to keep their appendix and such when they were removed. As time went by, either they decided the fingers were too dry and deformed to keep, or maybe they were kept in secret and someone else discovered them, so they were thrown out.

Just one of many possibilities...

March 13, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • pUCKLES

It is HIGHLY DOUBTFUL that you are correct. Something much more sinister is going on her. Plus, it would take a very short period of time for the fingers to dry up – days literally.

March 14, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dizzyd

@Jake-gee, you think?
    @Mike-you owe me 20 bucks!
    That said, the day we get 'used to' such cruelty – esp. to children – is the day humanity is dead. (Some of you on here should check your pulse...)

March 14, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. pUCKLES

I cannot imagine that it would be that difficult to track down the child and get to the bottom of this (if the child is still alive). The fact that they are not coming up with the victim leads me to believe that this child was probably murdered.

March 14, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Do Research

Amazing how someone could find fingers in a trash bin and say that she thought they were ginger roots...
    If I were the Feds...I would have SI all over her network.

March 14, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. KH

I cannot believe the sickening comments here. There is a suffering and probably tortured child out there. It is so disturbing to read this. That poor child. Good lord.

March 14, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. J

This creep who was digging around in the dumpster and also decided to take a bag of contaminated (probably so gross looking) ginger home to restore?? My bets are on her and she wants attention.

March 14, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. jim

who ever posted a comment like because fingers where found there was no crime commited you are an idiot its obvious to me there was a crime comitted when you find human remains in a trash receptical.

March 14, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. jim

may god have mercy on there souls

March 14, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. glenp

DEMOCRATS applaud this LATE TERM ABORTION!!

March 14, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. jim

there is a lot of evil in the world if the person responsable for this did this then the fbi needs to act fast.

March 14, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |