Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash
The fingers were found in this trash bin a month ago.
March 13th, 2012

Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash

Police in Honolulu are asking for the public's help in finding the answers to a horrible mystery: How did the fingers of a child end up in a trash bin at a housing complex?

The fingers were found a month ago, according to a Honolulu Police Department news release.

"Laboratory testing has determined that the fingers are those of a child," police said in Monday's release.

The fingers are those of a girl, 2½ to 4 years old, CNN affiliate KHON-TV reported, citing police sources. Six fingers were recovered, according to the report.

Gina Rose Vendegna, who lives near the Kukui Gardens housing complex in Honolulu's Kalihi neighborhood, told KHON that she found the fingers in the trash bin while looking for material to recycle.

When she came across a zippered plastic bag with the fingers inside, she said, she mistook them for ginger root and took them home.

"I'm a gardener, and I recycle, and I thought I'd be able restore them. So I threw them in my purse," KHON quotes Vendegna as saying.

When she got home, she took a second look at her find.

"I knew for a fact those were fingers when I seen the fingernails. And people I tried showing them to tried telling me that it wasn't, that it might be monkey fingers. And I thought just by chance I'm going to call the Police Department, turn 'em in and let them decide," she told KHON.

Police said Vendegna was not a suspect.

Checks of missing person reports and local hospitals, as well as interviews of residents of the housing complex, have not turned up any leads, police told CNN affiliates.

"Twenty-five years in the department, I've not seen something like this where we've just found partial," police Sgt. Kim Buffett told affiliate Hawaii News Now.

Residents of the housing complex are scared.

"I have chicken skin," Noelani Dilyard told Hawaii News Now. "It's creepy. It really is."

Children who live in the complex and use a nearby playground said they were frightened, and adults said they'd be extra cautious with their kids.

"Maybe I never let them go out because, you know, scary," resident Monimer Serna said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Hawaii
  1. mark

hahaha i just love this quote

"Maybe I never let them go out because, you know, scary,"

because, you know, SCARY!

March 14, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. SaraLyn Erickson

THAT IS UNBELIVEABLE! i think it woul be pretty obvios between fingers and ginger roots but i feel so bad for tha girl no one should go through that and if she is atill alive she will have a very hard time doing simple things we do very day without even thinking about it! it makes me wanna cry! she could (if she is stil with us) have a general phobia of people!I FEEL SO VERY (EXTREMELY) bad for this poor poor poor girl! who ever did this is really a IDIO!

March 14, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Chartreuxe

Not when the fingers are dried out and semi-mummified, as one presumes these were.

Speculation? Someone murdered a child and disposed of her body in separate dumpsters.

March 14, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Kaitara

I would think they could do DNA on those fingers, and run them in the computer for a Kinship test, and see if any of her kin have records.

March 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ted

Some of these comments are sick. GOD WE LIVE IN A SICK SOCIETY. HOW TRAGIC. THAT POOR CHILD IS OUT THERE SOMEWHERE, hopefully in the arms of God.

March 14, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Emilio Esteves

"arms of god", what a laugh. Don't you know that the God in your bible is just extraterrestrials that visited Earth in our remote past?

March 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kaitara

Don't worry Ted, hell has special places for Emillio and Freddie. Not even worth a response, people like that end up getting their just rewards, it is karma.

March 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JD

Damn it! I was looking for those fingers, and this lady takes them home thinking that they are ginger root!~

March 14, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed

The big bang theory...There is nothing, then all of a sudden there's something....yup sure makes a lot of sense!

March 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Curious

So, how come the artical doesn't state if the cops searched the housing complex for any children with their fingers missing

March 14, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • smdahl

Because CNN is a tool of nefarious interests. And another question: Why is the US Military investigating this one too? HMMM.

March 15, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Osama

@smdhl: the military are experts regarding bodies in trash bins... just ask your martyred soldiers who lay in the bottom of landfills despite sacrificing their lives for Halliburton/Lockheed wars...

March 16, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. OrdinaryPerson

I cannot believe some of these comments!

March 14, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. OrdinaryPerson

Some of the people who have been commenting are total idiots. . Just saying.

March 14, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mez

This is one of those that you pray is poor disposal of medical waste. What a horror story.

March 14, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. going mad

Forget about "neighborhood watches." We should resort to neighborhood vigilantes: a group of folks who band together and do what the parents did in Nightmare on Elm Street: hunt down the monster, lock him up, and set his evil @$$ on fire. Personally, I'd be more than happy to go to jail if it meant saving a child's life.

March 14, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Req

"Elm Street"? You do know how well that turned out, right?

March 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Except the monster who did it is most likely the victim's parent or guardian.

March 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Emilio Esteves

the trash picking liberal should have taken them home and made a tasty sandwich with them. Of course, you would have to remove the bones first.

March 14, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Osama

How desperate of a nation have you become when people are "recycling" vegeateble roots from the trash bin!

March 16, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Todd Balstrom

Detective: "Can you point to the person that did this to you?"

Victim: "Umm.. No."

March 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cccc

I would venture a guess that the fingers were removed from a body to make indentifying harder to do,Somewhere out there is the rat of the body probably also in pieces.Social services has thousands of missing children in their charge this one is most likely still getting benefits for someone out there.

March 14, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Htos1

Sadly,that's exactly correct.

March 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cccc

rat= rest

March 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. The Libertarian

The answer is right there in the question: Housing complex.

March 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. PJ

Kalihi was a rough neighborhood when I lived in Hawaii. Probably worse now. This is sad no matter where it happens.

March 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |