Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash
The fingers were found in this trash bin a month ago.
March 13th, 2012

Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash

Police in Honolulu are asking for the public's help in finding the answers to a horrible mystery: How did the fingers of a child end up in a trash bin at a housing complex?

The fingers were found a month ago, according to a Honolulu Police Department news release.

"Laboratory testing has determined that the fingers are those of a child," police said in Monday's release.

The fingers are those of a girl, 2½ to 4 years old, CNN affiliate KHON-TV reported, citing police sources. Six fingers were recovered, according to the report.

Gina Rose Vendegna, who lives near the Kukui Gardens housing complex in Honolulu's Kalihi neighborhood, told KHON that she found the fingers in the trash bin while looking for material to recycle.

When she came across a zippered plastic bag with the fingers inside, she said, she mistook them for ginger root and took them home.

"I'm a gardener, and I recycle, and I thought I'd be able restore them. So I threw them in my purse," KHON quotes Vendegna as saying.

When she got home, she took a second look at her find.

"I knew for a fact those were fingers when I seen the fingernails. And people I tried showing them to tried telling me that it wasn't, that it might be monkey fingers. And I thought just by chance I'm going to call the Police Department, turn 'em in and let them decide," she told KHON.

Police said Vendegna was not a suspect.

Checks of missing person reports and local hospitals, as well as interviews of residents of the housing complex, have not turned up any leads, police told CNN affiliates.

"Twenty-five years in the department, I've not seen something like this where we've just found partial," police Sgt. Kim Buffett told affiliate Hawaii News Now.

Residents of the housing complex are scared.

"I have chicken skin," Noelani Dilyard told Hawaii News Now. "It's creepy. It really is."

Children who live in the complex and use a nearby playground said they were frightened, and adults said they'd be extra cautious with their kids.

"Maybe I never let them go out because, you know, scary," resident Monimer Serna said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Hawaii
  1. c

30 years ago we told people that life had no value. The types of crimes against humanity are getting more and more grim. So sad.

March 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I see what you did there, and that holds no validity, as the same thing happened throughout the course of history.
      But nice thy at a segue.

March 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. zzzzzz

Poor kid. I hope there was an accidental dismemberment and the child is safe and recovering.
    If not, I hope the doer(s) will get the same treatment, in jail.

March 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad76

I doubt it was accidental, the fingers could have been reattached. Instead they were tossed into a dumpster.

March 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cara

perhaps a child bitten by something. I would check with hospital records too.

March 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack johnson

If they were bitten off by an animal. WHO PUT THEM IN A ZIP LOCK BAG?

March 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MASTRODAMUS

Great, no leads means they don't have anyone to point the fingers at.

March 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Splinter48708

*groan*

March 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nick

The kid must have been caught stealing.

March 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. frank

come on man..... will someone please give the kid a hand!

March 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wolf Daddy Deluxe 5000

COOL!

March 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ariel

Lame. Not something to joke about "Mabel". Hope they find the perp – nobody should be able to get away with something so cruel.

March 13, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. child's fingers

Would we even be hearing of this if it were fetuses instead of fingers?

March 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Stuck on anti-abortion. You probably response t0 weather reports, with something anti-abortion.

And yes, if any one was putting fetuses into a dumpster in zip-lock bags, we would be hearing about it.

March 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

He is, and he does.

Lest we forget, this topic is about...a child's fingers...nice to see you don't give a dayum once the child is born...typical.

March 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dumpster Diver

That's why I avoid the dumpsters behind Planned Parenthood facilities.

March 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

What a disengenous statement.

March 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. child's fingers

@Brad. Fingers can be re-attatched. Can fetuses? Or are a child's fingers worth more than a women's fetuses. (not counting stem-cell research)

March 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

These fingers can't be...which is the point of the whole story...where is the rest of the child?
      But, the child has already been born, so you don't care.

March 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cherry

The race of the child will ultimately determine how much investigative and financial resources will be made available to locate the owner of these severed fingers. Notice how I don't mention what race will get the most attention? Most of you have already figured that out.

March 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Charming.

March 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cagey

How could anyone hurt a child like this? I am afraid that this child is no longer living.

March 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Barry G.

How terribly sad and awful.

March 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sunflower

If it were an accident, they wouldn't be in a dumpster in a zip loc bag. Six fingers found. That means both hands were damaged. The child more than likely bled to death, it she wasn't dead already. I pray she was already dead, because the alternative is to disturbing to consider. Sounds like a very sick person initially kept them as a "souvenier" or something. And to think this happened in a typical U.S. neighborhood. This was not Syria folks..... THAT is terrifying. Things like this make we weep for humanity.

March 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |