Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash
The fingers were found in this trash bin a month ago.
March 13th, 2012

Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash

Police in Honolulu are asking for the public's help in finding the answers to a horrible mystery: How did the fingers of a child end up in a trash bin at a housing complex?

The fingers were found a month ago, according to a Honolulu Police Department news release.

"Laboratory testing has determined that the fingers are those of a child," police said in Monday's release.

The fingers are those of a girl, 2½ to 4 years old, CNN affiliate KHON-TV reported, citing police sources. Six fingers were recovered, according to the report.

Gina Rose Vendegna, who lives near the Kukui Gardens housing complex in Honolulu's Kalihi neighborhood, told KHON that she found the fingers in the trash bin while looking for material to recycle.

When she came across a zippered plastic bag with the fingers inside, she said, she mistook them for ginger root and took them home.

"I'm a gardener, and I recycle, and I thought I'd be able restore them. So I threw them in my purse," KHON quotes Vendegna as saying.

When she got home, she took a second look at her find.

"I knew for a fact those were fingers when I seen the fingernails. And people I tried showing them to tried telling me that it wasn't, that it might be monkey fingers. And I thought just by chance I'm going to call the Police Department, turn 'em in and let them decide," she told KHON.

Police said Vendegna was not a suspect.

Checks of missing person reports and local hospitals, as well as interviews of residents of the housing complex, have not turned up any leads, police told CNN affiliates.

"Twenty-five years in the department, I've not seen something like this where we've just found partial," police Sgt. Kim Buffett told affiliate Hawaii News Now.

Residents of the housing complex are scared.

"I have chicken skin," Noelani Dilyard told Hawaii News Now. "It's creepy. It really is."

Children who live in the complex and use a nearby playground said they were frightened, and adults said they'd be extra cautious with their kids.

"Maybe I never let them go out because, you know, scary," resident Monimer Serna said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Hawaii
  1. BC

"I have chicken skin. It's creepy – it really is". I have not seen a human with chicken skin, but I would imagine it would be creepy looking.

March 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

"Chicken Skin" is a term the local people in Hawaii use...it's like when the hair raises on your neck. Gah... Is that the genius that you came up with after reading the article...sad...very sad.

March 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I would think it would think it would be akin to goose-bumps...

March 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. patience

Wow!! very sad, that innocent child....i hope she was already decease when this evil start cutting n her.....i pray they find out who she was......but i do know she went straight to the kindom , she's with Jesus!!......ppl who prey on children wont b better off then Sodom an Gomorah on judgement day

March 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • spike

Thanks for the update, Mrs. God.

March 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaveO

How do you knw? Maybe she's with Allah! Is your name patience or patient?

March 13, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

It should be possible to determine whether the fingers have been removed post mortum. I guess the police are keeping that information to themselves (as they should).

March 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, B.A., J.D., S.P.J.

So if the police would like to prevent another child murder they should take a couple of psychics to the waste-bin, show them the fingers and get a composite photo of the killer and where he is and what he does for a living, what kind of car he drives. The girl was probably killed by a parent or someone related to or known to the family of the girl. If it was a child rapist or molester, there would be no reason to bother. if it was a parent or stepparent they likely were a welfare recipient. That's why the fingers were found at a housing project. Hawaii is not that big a place. If they require each social worker to Physically see every 3 to 12 year old girl on their caseload, there will be at least one "unavailable for an interview". I say up to age 12 because she may have been malnourished and abused with stunted growth. So they likely know the race of the fingers, so now you have a pool of less than 10,000 kids, maybe 5,000 kids receiving AFDC who are young girls and of a particular race on one of the Hawaiian Islands. It shouldn't take more than 10 days to find the parents and a pressure-cooker interview away from getting a confession. If they call a psychic, they should have a suspect within a week. How do I know? It's elementary!

March 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sam

dont they take finger prints when babies are born? I seem to remember that from something. why cant they take one of the fingers and run the print?

March 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • helena

finger prints are not taken of a baby when it is born, the mothers finger print is taken, and your finger print changes between birth and six years old.

March 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leilani

No skin. Just bones.

March 20, 2012 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. j-pap

Why are children frightened? Who the hell told them?

March 13, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. FogHOrnLegHorn

Sounds like some Republican parenting. Is the Laptop shooter guy in Hawaii?

March 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Is that really necessary?

March 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellie

You are sick !

March 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Displacedmic

The stupidity...it hurts my eyes

March 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John

This is sad. Maybe instead of 'requiring' the unemployed to take drug tests to get their (paid in benefits) we should license perspective parents. If they elect not to get the license and undergo a risk assesment BEFORE they become pregnant then they would not be eligable for medical, dental and optical benefits and other welfare programs. There are alot of abusive and dangerous "parents" out their and it will only get worse.

March 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • LaLa

... and how would that help the children of the unlicensed parents ? Seems like those parents who didn't go the licensing route wouldn't be much different than today, but the children would suffer even more.

March 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I understand the premise, but many people are bypassing marriage liscensing these days...

March 13, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lucreria easley

I have two young children of my own so this story caught my attention. Who ever done this got away with it makes me believe he or she would do this again so please keep your children safe my kids go no where without me and after reading this article I'm right in being over protective.

March 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bob

HAVE TEACHERS EXAMINE STUDENTS FOR MISSING FINGERS

March 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • KQ

and daycare workers. and neighbors. and grocery store cashiers. and have parents ask their kids if they know any kids with no fingers.

March 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Displacedmic

Yes, because the sort of individual who would cut the fingers of a child is probably doing everything they can to make sure that child is properly educated. You know, for their future.

March 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Religion lit. 'form of worship'

The english word 'religion' literally means'form of worship'. Some worship sports idols, some worship religious idols. Still others worship money. Few worship the God of he Holy Bible, as has been the case throughout human history. Blaming 'religion' for what men and women do to other men and women (and children) is stupid. Crooked men leading crooked religions are to blame. Not God. Not Satan. Not religion.

March 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Niki

RIGHT ON! brother...
      I couldn't agree more.

March 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. prissy

Next, they'll find her OTHER parts.

March 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JC

Somehow I expect to read soon that along with the Afghan massacre that Limbaugh had something to do with this.

March 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jim

Humans...the only living creatures capable of such an atrocity.

March 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe

As far as "post mortem fingers", it takes forensics to make this determination. Forensics take time. It's not like all they have to do is test Whitney Houston for drugs...which takes about 15 minutes.

March 13, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Really?
      What were the results, genius?
      Toxicology results typically take four to six weeks to be completed.
      Anyone who has had a loved one die unexpextedly knows this.
      What are the results of Whitney's, since they only took 15 minutes?
      The world is waiting...

March 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

@Jim. You mean humans who behave like animals I presume. Animalistic behaviors. Monkeys playing with themselves, etc. Some copy/paste *animal* on their chosen lifestyles. Others, Jesus and his early followers. *humans*.

March 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That??!
      What does money masturbation have to do with this topic?
      Why even *mention* that?
      Somebody has *issues*...

March 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

First word s/b What??!

March 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. suesark

Honestly! The intelligence in this country is underwhelming!

March 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |