Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash
The fingers were found in this trash bin a month ago.
March 13th, 2012

Hawaii mystery: Child's fingers found in trash

Police in Honolulu are asking for the public's help in finding the answers to a horrible mystery: How did the fingers of a child end up in a trash bin at a housing complex?

The fingers were found a month ago, according to a Honolulu Police Department news release.

"Laboratory testing has determined that the fingers are those of a child," police said in Monday's release.

The fingers are those of a girl, 2½ to 4 years old, CNN affiliate KHON-TV reported, citing police sources. Six fingers were recovered, according to the report.

Gina Rose Vendegna, who lives near the Kukui Gardens housing complex in Honolulu's Kalihi neighborhood, told KHON that she found the fingers in the trash bin while looking for material to recycle.

When she came across a zippered plastic bag with the fingers inside, she said, she mistook them for ginger root and took them home.

"I'm a gardener, and I recycle, and I thought I'd be able restore them. So I threw them in my purse," KHON quotes Vendegna as saying.

When she got home, she took a second look at her find.

"I knew for a fact those were fingers when I seen the fingernails. And people I tried showing them to tried telling me that it wasn't, that it might be monkey fingers. And I thought just by chance I'm going to call the Police Department, turn 'em in and let them decide," she told KHON.

Police said Vendegna was not a suspect.

Checks of missing person reports and local hospitals, as well as interviews of residents of the housing complex, have not turned up any leads, police told CNN affiliates.

"Twenty-five years in the department, I've not seen something like this where we've just found partial," police Sgt. Kim Buffett told affiliate Hawaii News Now.

Residents of the housing complex are scared.

"I have chicken skin," Noelani Dilyard told Hawaii News Now. "It's creepy. It really is."

Children who live in the complex and use a nearby playground said they were frightened, and adults said they'd be extra cautious with their kids.

"Maybe I never let them go out because, you know, scary," resident Monimer Serna said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Hawaii
  1. Stewpid people

Hawaii has one of the highest rates concerning a cost of living. Some recycle bottles and cans and it pays for a
    meal for the day. Alternative: Sitting around and collecting handouts. Don't judge others so quickly, work on your own
    myopia.

March 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kendra

That ginger root story is bizarre.

March 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • markishere

what, you don't go rooting through public garbage looking for ginger root in plastic bags? :)))

March 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Fingers? Rummage through the trash behind any abortion, I mean woman's health clinic and see what you find.

March 13, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I completely agree, I am not buying it

March 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Rick:
      Anyone with a lick of sense knows that they don't just toss remains into the dumpster.
      This has nothing to do with abortion, but everything to do with a child who has been mutilated, but I guess that escaped your attention.
      But then those who have been born are not worthy of your fervor, right?

March 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pablo

Vey sad story. Detectives: Check who entered Hawaii with a child and left without one.

March 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Hertz

I'm guessing there's a small chance that there are people that are born and raised there also.

March 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

So...someone is running around Hawii without fingers. Someone that moved is without fingers. No brainer...so go find them.

March 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pablo

The kid is probably dead and you don't have a brain!

March 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • TexasAnnie

Hawii?? Just where might "Hawii" be located?

March 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bree

This is so sad. that little girl is going straight to gods kingdom!

March 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • JRZKNIGHT

Unless sh was a athiest and didnt believe in God.

March 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

One of you nuts probably chopped off the fingers in the first place.

March 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • NutGrinder

Unless she was an evil Satan worshiper, then she's going straight down under!

March 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Are you suggesting that by torturing a small child, killing them, and cutting off their fingers for whatever insane purpose, you are actually HELPING them - by getting them to "gods kingdom" faster?

If so, then you need more help than we can provide here.

March 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. wildone

Rule #1: Don't go poking around in the garbage looking for recyclables because what you find might make you hurl.
    Rule #2: Don't click on stories like this before you've had your chicken finger sub for lunch.

Thank you so much CNN for sharing. Now, please excuse me while I go purge my stomach from the contents of my mid-day repast.

March 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. In Related News

Man's Teeth were found in dumpster behind Hardee's in Orlando Florida....Police were searching for the origins but realized that it would be easier to find a needle amongst a stack of needles

March 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Marie

Jesus said in John 6:47: ...I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said in John 6:51: I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.

March 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • NutGrinder

A) no one that ever believed in Jesus has lived for ever.....
      B) if i eat the human flesh of Jesus (like a zombie) i can live forever.....

TY for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your idiocy with us and giving us a good laugh.. ty.. needed that.

March 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madly Branning

I can't find any posts on this thread by Jesus I can't find any posts on this thread by anyone at 6:47 or 6:51, so I don't know what you're referring to.

March 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Wat

I hope they find the inhumane people responsible for this god bless the child

March 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Will

What is with you morons quoting bible quotes. Its too bad things happen like this but quoting bible versus does not help the victim or anyone else.

March 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • meandean68

Boo-Hoo, does the Bible verses get in the way of your satanic rituals.

March 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Well if they had quoted from the Koran we may have found a head.

March 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

meandean68: Satanic? Are you for real?

March 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Will: you are mistaken. Quoting Bible verses clearly makes the posters feel better.

March 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel Williams

I assume that you're a non-believer, so all you personally have to thank the Bible for is a millenium of literacy and civility, plus the benefits you enjoy every day by living in a Christian culture. Do you think that the printing press came about because Gutenberg devised a way to keep up with the demand for cookbooks? Does any non-Christian culture today look especially appealing to you? Feel like yukking it up amongst the burqa set?

Of course, if you believe, you will realize that the Bible is also the means by which mankind is saved from damnation and granted eternal life, and as such, has most certainly helped many, many people in the past, uh, two thousand years in which its wisdom has guided us.

But what do I know? Apparently, I'm just one of those Bible morons; you know, like Blaise Pascal, Isaac Newton, or C.S. Lewis. Real dopes, right? I certainly hate to be associated with that crowd.

March 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Martin Sheriff Joe is right

Sad this is from Hawaii. The hospitals and the Department of Health can be of no help since they can't even provide a real copy of Obama's birth certificate or an examination of what Obama fraudulently portrayed as the real thing. Everybody now knows Obama's so-called birth certificate is a fraud and a fake computer-generated Obama concoction. The "layers" on Obama's computer generated speak volumes, and Obama's silence is even more amazing.

When America's sheriff says it appears this is, in fact, a fake and a fraud, now is your time to prove the sheriff wrong once and for all. All Obama and Chris Matthews and the media can do is put down the "right wing". I think the right wing was right about this all along, and the liberals were dead wrong. Now we have an illegitimate president and this is embarrassing to everybody!

March 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boo

And what the hell does Obama have to do with this story? GET BACK ON YOUR MEDS AND SHUT UP!

March 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • slinky

I think your tin foil hat fell off. Put it back on, then stick to the subject.

March 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • TexasAnnie

Seriously?? You believe what the doofus Sheriff Joe has to say? The guy is a nut job.
      And I guess the fact that Obama's birth announcement appeared in the Honolulu newspaper back in '61 was fake too, right? His parents put it in there in 1961 just in case he might someday 40 years later think about running for President, right?
      Plus, do you honestly believe the state of Hawai'i would release a "fake" birth certificate?? Get a life, dude.

March 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

"America's sheriff..."

I didn't know we actually had a sheriff assigned to America as a whole - I thought they were all at a more local level. As such, no sheriff actually has the jurisdiction or expertise to investigate this as part of their job - so either they are wasting taxpayer resources or just being amateur detectives on the side. Either way, they are a waste of news space.

March 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

LMFAO!
      Seriously?

March 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rick

Fingers? Fingers? Rummage through the trash behind any woman's clinic and see what you might find.

March 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Do you think you would find gall bladders and appendixes in the dumpster behind a surgical hospital?

March 13, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

Thanks for the picture of the trash can... Otherwise, I'm sure we'd all be lost.. It's not news, its CNN.

March 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Adam

If the cops don't get anywhere, hopefully a good samaritan will come forward and lend a hand to the investigation.

March 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flomangina

Or at least point a few fingers..

March 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Oh'really

It was probably one of those doctors Obama talked about that just want to amputate things from children so they can pay for their rent. Don't worry, Obamacare will stop this sort of thing.

March 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • TexasAnnie

Troll.

March 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I don't get it. When I was 13, I was obnoxious, too - but even at 13 I had *some* sense of decency. You seem to lack that.

March 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • High Hopes

Oh Reeeeeealy:

Is EVERYTHING a joke to you?

March 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |