March 15th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Should smokers be targeted with educational ads?

A federal campaign called "Tips from Former Smokers" is intended to educate Americans about the dangers of smoking. Readers talked about the ads, and they talked about smoking and other health issues.

CDC unveils graphic ads to combat smoking

Some debated whether smoking or obesity should be bigger health concerns.

trncell: "So when is the CDC going to put graphic pictures of open heart surgery on the doors of fast food restaurants? #1 killer in America: Heart disease. Your daily reminder."

iBod: "Heart Disease is often a result of smoking, as well, don't forget.....Not just the intake of food your body is already evolved to digest. That's not to say fast food is not a problem–it is for those who eat it maybe once or twice a week, every week of every year of their life. Smoking has a far greater impact on heart disease than fast food.

This reader said people are unfair to smokers.

KiM3695: "I am so sick of people and companies singling out cigarette smoking. Why not do some graphic ads about drinking? It's worse than smoking. Or put some ads out about fattening foods, since our country is the most overweight in the world. I am sick of this firestorm on adult tobacco users. Cigarettes are legal, people need to get over that."

But another wondered why people don't stop.

golfman72: "Look everyone knows what happens when you continue to smoke, yet many still do. If those who continue to smoke then they will surely die, and there is NOTHING you can do to stop them, it all comes down to ones choice. Why continue to spend money on this to change people? NO ONE CAN CHANGE ANOTHER, only YOU can change yourself!"

What do you think? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Health • Overheard on CNN.com • Smoking
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy:
    Aha–I remembered your experience with that choral piece as I posted the quote. Did you forget telling me, Ms. Trivia-Memory R(egina)?
    That Mendelssohn, when I was fourteen, at Ridgecrest in NC, was my first experience performing any full oratorio, although I had played piano concertos. Our Baptist church's music director and the organist drove five teenagers in a station wagon with luggage on an overhead rack. It was one of the best times I ever had.

March 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Calling BS

Not dazzle...not even a fair representation. Total fail, troll.

March 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ dazzle:
    Good evening.
    Why am I thinking that TORI once said that you were French?

March 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I may be wrong, but I don't think that is Daz.
      I just can't see her saying "kinfolk", among other things....

March 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@JIF:
    No, I didn't forget, darling man.
    Everytime I see you reference something like that, I get transported back in time...and for that I thank you.

March 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jojo

what next? how fat peop;e die or how drug dealers die

March 15, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I know; stating the obvious, aren't they?

March 15, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

All right. I'll handle this.
    Blanche, there has never been...
    No, seriously.
    "Southern ladies," sitting around on a porch at family reunions? You had to be there.
    "Now Versey–they lived over in Kemper County, not far out of Scooba–now Versey was a Hawkins, twice removed on her mother's side, they had a Doberman puppy one time, it got hit by a car, one of their children died at birth–think that one was a girl–that other one had polio, Lord works–what? No, I don't like iced tea. Thank you anyway. Now Versey's Aunt Tennybee married an old bachelor from out at Nations, they just sent mums to Johnny's funeral, but now the daughter-in-law Mildred made a doctor..."

March 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Nobo doesthe deep South like you do, darling JIF.

Amazing how one can try to imitate someone and not know a thing about her.
      I do know some things about Daz, but I'll never tell...give it some ammo?
      Not this time.

March 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

banasy© is tired.
      Her typos are out of control...banasy© is going to sleep.
      Adieu.

March 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat2u

Banasy, dazzle, JIF and everyone else,

That first Bobcat2U was most definitely a troll. I am working with another system since I'm here in Texas, and it won't let me wear my hat. Man I feel naked without it. And also the fake Bobcat capitalizes his B.
    You guys will know me by style.
    Or I could always go to one of my alter egos.

March 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

@Hello bobcat (iah) don't be jealous case I have your hat. I think I remember you saying you would be traveling to Texas. Okay is it me or does Joeys post make no sense at all?

March 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

not case should be " because"

March 15, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Scottish Mama:
      He was showing what true Southern old time gentility used to be like.
      Dince the fake dazzle has no clue.
      I imagine that was an actual conversation from his past... 🙂

March 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Substi tute 'Since" for 'Dince"

March 15, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Cara,
      If all of what I say doesn't make sense to you, just get a single thought and ponder that.
      Some guys read the Bible and come away with nothing except "God is love." That's good too.
      Or, if you like, just skip my whole post and go ahead to something you enjoy.
      That's fine with me.

March 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Thelma Lou Brickmore

I need a cigarette.
    And a dirty martini, extra olives, please.
    Where's my man been?

March 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Good cause lordy, lordy, I was beginning to have the vapors myself.lol

March 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thelma Lou Brickmore

I do declare, I am feeling faint.
      I must lie down....lol...

Night. Mama.

March 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scottish Mama

lol. Night banasy.

March 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

@ Scottish Mama

Thank you for holding on to my hat for me. I'll retrieve it when I get back home.

March 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ bobcat2U:
    Nice to see you and your trolls. Ain't FAME grand!
    I just set my alarm.
    Night all.

March 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dazzle ©

Fake Dazzle, thank God my buds here had my back. TY banasy and joey. LOL, this is comical but do some homework before you try to impersonate anyone. Mint Juleps, really??

March 15, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Greek American

I agree with no smoking in restaurants, but now you can't even smoke in bars here. What a joke! Let the business owners decide what they want and have them pay a monthly or yearly license fee if they want to allow it. Here in dump Michigan, they of course let the casinos be exempt from the state smoking ban. Conplete joke! Its all about money as usual. States have more important things to worry about, especially here (ie. Detroit).

March 15, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

imagine a place where the government didn't tell people how to run their business, and people who didn't want to be around smokers went to places that catered to their needs, and vice versa.. kind of a personal responsibility thing.. easier to tell everyone else to live like them, i guess..

like women and toilet seats.. *that* must be why it's called 'nanny' state..

March 15, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

Awww, what a pity you can't poison your lungs in public at a bar...it's such a tragedy. Get real and know that this
      disgusting habit is so yesterday to the 80% who dont smoke at all and are sick and tired of hearing the lame excuses smokers bring out that their rights are being violated. What rights? to kill yourself?

March 16, 2012 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. Smoker more healthy?

Smoking is hazzardous to your health. So are those pharmaceutical side-effects. So is that lump in your gut. So is that couch potato TV warthog. I'm in my mid-fifties, have smoked about a pack a day since I began at 31, but most 25 yr. olds can't keep-up w/me. Being 10 lbs. overweight equals one pack of Camel non-filters. (note: the avg. American is obese, a plague that has even spread to our own children)

March 16, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • levi

I agree, if youre not obese, have a good diet, and exercise regularly, smoking will have a minimal affect on your health. And I dont really appreciate spending tax dollars for something so ineffective. Instead of spending that money on advertisements, why not just bank it and help those who want to quit, by making quitting smoking aids more affordable. I think that would be a better way to spend that money.

March 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |