Guilty verdict in Rutgers webcam spying case
Dharun Ravi listens in court on Friday.
March 16th, 2012

Guilty verdict in Rutgers webcam spying case

[Updated at 8:01 p.m. ET] A former Rutgers University student accused of spying on and intimidating his gay roommate by use of a hidden webcam was found guilty Friday of all counts - including invasion of privacy and the more severe charges of bias intimidation - in a case that thrust cyberbullying into the national spotlight.

Dharun Ravi, 20, was also found guilty of witness tampering, hindering apprehension and tampering with physical evidence, and could now face up to 10 years in jail and deportation to his native India.

Sentencing has been set for May 21.

The New Jersey jury was confronted with a series of questions on each charge after it asked for clarification on what constituted bias intimidation. Though it found Ravi not guilty on several questions within the verdict sheet, because he was found guilty on at least one question on each main count, Ravi was convicted on all charges and could now face the maximum penalty.

[Posted at 11:30 a.m. ET] A verdict has been reached in the trial of a former Rutgers University student accused of spying on and intimidating his gay roommate by use of a hidden webcam.

If convicted, Dharun Ravi could face up to 10 years in prison and deportation back to his native India.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice
  1. ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

kim kardash didnt get 10...paris hilt didnt get 10...why the exception for tvqueens public indiscretions...oops! the nation of Internet has immunity

March 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Um...if Kim or Paris wanted to, they could have brought charges against the people who actually put it on the internet, just as this guy did.
      I think Paris did, actually.

March 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

here we go again...it's called duplicity bani-baby...DUUU-PLICITY!!!!!!!!

March 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

We would never have heard of this case had this guy not committed suicide.
      Therefore, we would probably not have heard of any invasion of privacy suit had this man lived.
      I don't know how any of this can be termed duplicitious.
      I know you're rather fond of speaking in riddles...could you please speak plainly?
      I haven't got the patience for double-speak, baybeeee.

March 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

as usual you make yourself the foci of the issue...it's about accepatable behaviors...and a new court applied definition of intimidation...so much for the paparazzi...duplicity duplicity duplicity...

March 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I am not trying to make myself the focus of anything; I was asking for clarification of something YOU said.
      When I don't understand something, I ASK.
      If you would have just SAID that in the first place, instead of, as usual, playing your little word games, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

March 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

10 years in prison? For committing what crime precisely?

Defence should plead insanity. One can get away with mass murder.

March 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • justathought

The article say ‚Äúcould‚ÄĚ get ten years; I doubt that he will get that, but he will be deported in the end.
      Rivi was indirectly responsible for the suicide of his room mate, Tyler Clementi, but Tyler must have had an very guilty conscience for his immoral actions; I wouldn’t wonder why.

March 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Invasion of privacy.
      He won't get 10, that's just what he COULD get.

I would take umbrage if someone secretly broadcast me withought my prior knowledge...wouldn't you, saywhat?

March 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

10 years in prison? For committing what crime precisely?

Defence should plead insanity or PTSD ( due to rigors of academic life on campus ). One can get away with mass murder.

March 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

justathought:
    Or it could have been the merciless bullying from the people around him who are as hateful against gays as some posting here.
    Whatever one's gender preferences are, one does NOT have the right to being made fun of to the breaking point because of them.

Do I think this guy is guilty of causing his suicide?
    But he was found guilty of invasion of privacy, and shall hopefully be subjected to a little bullying himself.

March 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

ya trynah illegitamize the a whole group because of YO beliefs....

March 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • krm1007

Listen, it pains my heart to see this young guy go through this and what is yet to come to him. It is painful also to think of what happened to the person who took his life because of what Dharun did. Yes we do believe in second chances. But we also believe in justice. Therein lies the balance. Very painful indeed for all. Thank god I am not the judge or the jury.

March 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

ya trynah legitamize the illicit...

March 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CenTexan©

I definitely wouldn't want someone spying on me like that! Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

March 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

wake up countryboy! you are on candid carmera...parks, streets, stores, banks, jobs, traffic lights, interstate, satellite, gps-autoed, hospitals, cell towers...you've been, tranquilized, deer tagged and monitored...yiee-hah!

March 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CenTexan©

He was found guilty on three other counts as well.

March 16, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

probally somewhere in somebody's database they have a cam shot of your nose-pickin', butt-scratching, ear-diggin', drawers pullin', plumber's crack bendin' antics...

March 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

They probably have you somewhere as well, judging people who have never done a thing to you.

March 16, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

not judging...but why Tyler become despondent, despairing, life taking remorse, embarassement, shame? these are symptoms of guilt...of doing wrong. he is fully conscious of his wrong...i don't believe in public stonings of one for his sins but neither do i believe in condoning sin...the purpose of this trial isn't for justice but a political agenda...

March 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

They are also a symptom of a kid who is unsure of his place in the world, not of any wrongdoing.
      I fail to see how badgering him without mercy and outing him on the net would be be okay for anyone, no matter what their bias is.
      If he was questioning his s e xuality, he might have come up with a different path.
      We'll never know, because he is DEAD, and cannot answer those questions anymore, can he?

March 16, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

from my understanding of the case he was not badgered by his roomate...he was webcamed with an incident which once publicized he committed suicide.

March 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

What a charming sentiment.
    Take your own advice.

March 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO ©

Yay. You can taunt gay people into commiting suicide now. Yay.

I almost got into an accident on the GWB once. My most vivid New York memory. Damn deliver trucks.

March 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

Who ever you are Brutus you aint one of Gods followers with that statement.

March 16, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

you're just mad that the only person who gives you any attention is just a fat guy who want you only for your hamburgers...

March 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Some people revel in the misery of others.
    Sick people, indeed.

March 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

From any perspective it was a tragedy and showcases what goes on where young folks go to learn. Bullying and ganging up on those they consider 'different'.

March 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

saywhat:
      Word.

March 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

I was talking about you judging CenTexan, but you have my my point admirably.

March 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

This post was meant for Mmmmm.
      So...what you think Ravi was justified in what he did, based on your belief that you think being gay is illicit?

March 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • What

the

March 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

2What:Cnn is placing posts in the wrong place, even when I hit the reply button.
      May be hard to follow the convo because of this, I know, lol...

March 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

true...but look a decadent disneyworld aka gay pride celebrations...baaaabey the things dem people do...they ain't jumpin off anybody's bridge anytime soon...gay pride

March 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ‚ôĒMmmmm‚ôē

district attorney is obamastretching the law to match policy rather than the other way around...should have been a civil matter but placating officials opted for crimminal...if I was ravi's attorney i would be lookin at appeals...and writing a book to finance a new trial so I can write another book titled the raypin' of america

March 16, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |