March 21st, 2012

Iraq bombings meant to target summit security, militant group says

A militant group with al Qaeda links claimed responsibility for a deadly wave of bombings across Iraq, strikes designed to undermine government security plans for the upcoming Arab League summit.

The Islamic State of Iraq, an umbrella group that includes al Qaeda in Iraq, made the claim in a statement posted on an al Qaeda website. The explosions killed 45 people and wounded hundreds Tuesday.

Occurring on the ninth anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, the attacks were "coordinated" and launched by Sunni lions in Baghdad and other provinces "simultaneously," the online statement said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Iraq
  1. banasy©

I'm shocked and appalled.

March 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ron

Sadly...very sadly, I'm not....*sigh*(that ones for you banasy). Hi!

March 21, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Al queda in Iraq is trying to disrupt the government ? I sure am glad they gave us that information. I don't know what I would have expected otherwise.

March 21, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Hi, ron!
    How are you?
    I am.of course. appalles, but shocked?
    Not so much.

@bc (iah)©:
    Yay! You're officially back!
    I, too, am so grateful that we know this ahead of time; I wouldn't want to be surprised in any way.

March 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

I doubt very seriously that I would have been able to sleep tonight if I hadn't been given this information. I would have been tossing and turning all night wondering, What could this all mean ?

March 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. leeintulsa

sunni lions? can they even read watches?

March 21, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ringo

I've asked this obviously unanswerable question a number of times on other posts in the vain hope of receiving some type of response from somebody,so once again:what do these so-called"militants",terrorists,"Sunni Lions",or whatever have to offer other than murder,hatred,chaos,and death??I can't imagine anyone voluntarily submitting to your"rule",whatever that would be;doubtless you would simply murder those who refused to submit to your dictates Tell me,is that the way Shariah law is implemented,by bombs and bullets,by wanton murder?? I doubt these psychotic jihadists have any real interest in governing any land,Iraq included;the only thing that interest them is how creative they can be in committing these endless atrocities,this senseless butchery.I am more convinced than ever that Islam has nothing useful to offer the world on any level.Nothing.

March 22, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |