Coroner: Houston drowned after cocaine use
Whitney Houston performs at the O2 Arena on April 25, 2010, in London.
March 22nd, 2012

Coroner: Houston drowned after cocaine use

Whitney Houston died from an accidental drowning in a hotel bathtub, but the "effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use" were contributing factors in her death, the Los Angeles County Coroner said in an autopsy report released Thursday.

Houston, 48, was "found submerged in bathtub filled with water" and "no trauma or foul play is suspected," the coroner said.

The toxicology tests found other drugs in her body, including marijuana, the anti-anxiety drug Xanax, the muscle relaxant Flexeril and the allergy medicine Benadryl, the report said. But these drugs "did not contribute to the death," it said.

The final coroner report is expected to be made public within two weeks, the coroner said.

Houston died February 11 in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, the day before the music industry gathered for the annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles.

FULL STORY
  1. tina

just another crack head that's dead.

March 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John Steel

Funny how this article and the corner's report try to make it sound like she drowned because she was using cocaine. You don't drown on coke. What killed her was the Xanax, Benadryl and Flexeril. Those are all drugs that would put you into a state such that you might pass out and drown in your bath tub. That corner should be fired and barred from practicing medicine. I wonder how much the Pharmaceutical companies paid him to ignore the truth? Seriously – you either die from drowning or heart disease, not both!

March 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leila

Yes...that is true. It doesn't take a person with a medical degree to figure that out. Clearly, the relaxants caused her to accidentally fall asleep and slip in the water.

March 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BEAR

Who helped hold her head underwater while she drowned???

March 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tiffany

She is my Idol. Someone to look up to. A role model.

March 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. xema

Well, at least she wasn't drunk.

March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Susan

Warning to Celebrities! By using these drugs, you are also responsible on all the deaths in the south of the border..You got the money to pay, and supporting these cartels. It maybe indirectly but you are the users...

March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bijan

oh jess she was a crack ho 🙂

March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nancy M. B.

My mother had a word for people like her: weak.
    Whitney had everything and blew it. Absolutely no excuse is acceptable.

March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. martybearass

she was and always be a great singer BUT NOW THE TRUTH a druggie damn dope head!! Heads Up people!!!! Her crack finally went whack!!!

March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Heroicslug

She was chock full of more drugs than a pharmacy, eh?

I bet water is wet, too.

March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Klaas Jan

Wow, she sure was a role model for all our young children.

March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rick

regardless of how she died, or how some of her actions were questionable...she was a great entertainer with a talent most strive for and will never see. and to call her names such as "Crackhead" is petty and childish. she had a disease. so in all honesty, let me ask..are you perfect? no. how would you feel if someone said this about your mother? you probably wouldnt feel so hot. grow up.

March 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Klaas Jan

A disease? That's an excuse for the weak. Cancer is a disease. The Plague was a disease. Buying a crack rock and smoking it is not a disease, that is being stupid. Don't be ridiculous, by making excuses for these losers you are enabling them

March 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leila

It seems to me that if she had all those relaxants in her system, these certainly would have resulted in an accidental drowning! The report says that the drugs were NOT a contributor to her death? She drowned while having all those relaxants in her! Lesson: Don't take relaxers and fall asleep in a tub. She didn't drown on purpose so the drugs must have caused her to slip underneath the water.

March 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. criscokidd

Reblogged this on Crisco Kidd Block Party.

March 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. edeveryday

I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I will always love you ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou!

March 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |