Coroner: Houston drowned after cocaine use
Whitney Houston performs at the O2 Arena on April 25, 2010, in London.
March 22nd, 2012

Coroner: Houston drowned after cocaine use

Whitney Houston died from an accidental drowning in a hotel bathtub, but the "effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use" were contributing factors in her death, the Los Angeles County Coroner said in an autopsy report released Thursday.

Houston, 48, was "found submerged in bathtub filled with water" and "no trauma or foul play is suspected," the coroner said.

The toxicology tests found other drugs in her body, including marijuana, the anti-anxiety drug Xanax, the muscle relaxant Flexeril and the allergy medicine Benadryl, the report said. But these drugs "did not contribute to the death," it said.

The final coroner report is expected to be made public within two weeks, the coroner said.

Houston died February 11 in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, the day before the music industry gathered for the annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles.

FULL STORY
  1. Gloria

midnitejax, I agree! But for those who are in denial about Whitney......facts are facts. Drugs are killing people left and right. If only she could have stayed in rehab for at least 6 months, she may still be with us. Anytime you use drugs for years, it will get you in the end. I have lost several family members to drugs and it's just a fact.......and doctors are mostly responsible for these death......it's a disease!!!!!!

March 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ben Affleck

She could have at least saved some for me.

March 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. whitney is a crack ho

Wow Sherlock, I'm SO glad CNN stated the painfully obvious fact, Whitney was a crack head and drug addict NOT someone to admire or even respect!

March 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bonnie

Like my mama always said: You play, you pay

March 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GoneIn6

DonitaAllen – here here. Almost 5 years for me. Thank you for the reminder. Humility goes a long way. Most people don't realize how close they could come to this. I know I didn't. Whitney lost the fight as some of us do. It's a disease. People die. It sucks.

March 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CrakHo

I'll bet when she croaked her bowels relased and with no food and just drugs in her system it would have all come out liquid and they found her floating in a pool of chocolate pudding water with $h!t water in her lungs.

March 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Freddy J

Whatever. I'll give you 3 to 1 she was murdered

March 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bruce

Dems still trying way to blame Palin for this..............

March 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John Doer

How can anyone even feel remotely sorry for her..She actually deserved her fate. Where were all her HOLLYWOOD friends...If someone can't profit from you or use you then you're useless...typical society, I wonder how many people truly and actually cared for her....obviously nada...ohhh.. but yet they'll praise her and speak highly of her..(no pun intended). and people wonder why society is messed up?? go figure..

March 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bonnie

GoneIn6...a disease isn't something one bring upon themselves. Cancer is a disease. Diabetes is a disease. Epilepsy is a disease. Drug abuse is a choice, albeit a bad one. No sympathy here.

March 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TDiddy

WHAT??? Cocaine? No Way! I love the order in which they put how she died: Drowning, heart disease, and then cocaine...she died from cocaine and cocaine alone...she had heart disease from so much cocaine use, she drown because she passed out from doing too much coke, which I have no idea how you do that, except that so much cocaine stopped her heart and then she actually drown...that would work...but don't fool yourself, she died from cocaine and cocaine alone!

March 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. STEVE S.

SO...... John and Ken were kinda right huh? Crack Ho? You Leftist D'bags really make me laugh!

March 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. A Karaoke Jockey

This woman was a talented singer who destroyed voice and ultimately herself with drug abuse. I know from my trade that as intoxication increases, a performer's quality decreases. Poor choices– like snorting coke, publicly butchering songs, and then going swimming– they seem like wonderful ideas at the time. But all it does is hurt those around you; you hurt yourself.

My inebriated patrons' wretched rendition's of Whitney Houston's songs function as tributes only to her lowest notes. Moreover, they smack of the substance abuse that was her ultimate demise. I wish to remember the woman as the beautiful singer she once was, not the shell she became in her later days.

I hope there is a Heaven, that Whitney Houston got her once angelic voice back, and is out there somewhere, hitting all the high notes like she used to. May you rest in peace, Whitney Houston. I will always love you.

March 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff J

It could be the reason for your life to only be a warning for others.

March 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Silly Baggers!

@open400 I agree with you. Since it came out though I was hoping that drugs weren't involved. It's to bad.

March 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |