Gotta Watch: The perils of texting and walking
A teen walks and texts.
March 22nd, 2012

Gotta Watch: The perils of texting and walking

We’ve all texted when we probably shouldn’t have. Maybe it was while waiting in line, walking down the street, or pushing a cart at the grocery store. The people below have suffered the consequences of texting while walking, too. They’ve done everything from dropping into a manhole to falling into Lake Michigan. Consider this a warning to avoid the same fate. Have you ever run into anything while texting? Post your stories in the comments below.

Pier plunge

A Michigan woman was sending a text near Lake Michigan and didn’t realize how close she was to the water. She tripped and fell six feet into the water below. See what she did when she realized she was falling.

Fountain fall

This video of a woman falling into a mall fountain while texting made a big splash online. She wasn’t too happy about being a national punch line. But it was her behavior after the memorable moment that really sent Anderson Cooper over the edge on his RidicuList.

Manhole mayhem

After a New York teen fell into a manhole while texting, we found plenty of examples of other texting mishaps. Compare yourself to these people to see if you’re a “technosexual.”

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch • Michigan • Technology
  1. BOMBO ©

Yes, thank you! I'm glad someone else has noticed this. I've almost run over several idiots who were doing this.

March 22, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. ron

So...that was you? my bad..

March 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. meg

Good Morning; I've been TRYING to comment/post my OPINION which LOCAL NEWS WON'T PRINT "ANYTHING" AGAINST osama-obama! NOTHING, I SAY NOTHING ON ABC, NBC, FOX-2, CBS! Gee I can tell you guys are LIBERALS! TRYING TO DESTROY AMERICA WITH YOUR "so called president osama-obama". Read the TRUTH THAT'S POSTED ON "REAL NEWS STATION – CHANNEL 68 ON COMCAST, CHANNEL 358 ON DIRECTV. I WILL NEVER, I SAY "NEVER" WATCH YOUR LIBERAL (LYING) NEWS. I despise osama-obama for what he is doing to my AMERICA. You're TRADERS TO AMERICA BY BEING LEAD BY A muslim, kenyan....read/watch THE TRUTH ON CHANNEL 68 COMCAST, "NOT" THE "TRADERS" govt run muslim leader. Sick of all of you. lil ole lady from California. DEFENSE SECRETARY Leon Panetta IS A TRADER BROUGHT UP TO his position in 2011...,by who else? osama-obama (a name being passed around, I received it from O.K. & Wisconsin. WELL BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER.....to bad for you in the end. meg-NOT of any party JUST A TRUE AMERICAN!

March 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hey, relax

Have this nice bottle of almond juice. It's not cyanide, don't worry.

March 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nichole

Meg sent this from her phone and fell into a manhole, I'm sure of it.

March 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • The truth

Well your troubles are over then, Meg, because at least you've made it on the Ridiculist.

March 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Remy

Seriously, how does every story on CNN become about politics and Obama haters. Wow think of all the good you could do with the energy you expend hating "liberals" and Obama. Maybe you could even get an education because everytime I read comments like yours, I always think "Too bad Republicans are just ssssssoooooooooooo DAMN DUMB." Maybe they would realize their own party is scaring them on social issues while screwing them in the economy. So maybe take all that hate and read some real facts instead of relying on Rush Limbaugh

March 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • apostate

high level moronitude

March 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • R.L.

It's "traitor", you illiterate semi-semian.

March 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

You sound like an idiot. Please go back and finish school.

March 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyre on Maui

Meg, Real Americans don't want your kind in America. Also learn

March 22, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheek

Thank God for free speech, it gives us idiots like you to laugh at.

March 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyre on Maui

@Meg, Real Americans don"t want you in America. Also, learn to spell.

March 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL

What exactly are we trading? Baseball cards? Might you mean traitor? I sure hope you aren't a "true American" because you are bat sh1t crazy.

March 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • robinsondb

A trader..oh yeah one is opening up in our neighborhood in a few months...Trader Joe's ..so excited.
      Sheesh...is this person for real?????????or really a person????????????...
      I suggest you get some serious therapy for this little problem.... Can anyone say "Delusional"?

March 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • lakota84

I agree: Down with those slimy TRADERS. I mean seriously, who trades? Communists, that's who! Real Americans don't trade. They pay for the goods that they want!!!!

March 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

@ meg
      And I hope you have a wonderful day alao.

March 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ANDRE HIMES

The seal of the living GOD in the forehead of the chosen one. The white feminists(WITCHES) have been trick in beliving by using the hiphop nation that it will be easy to get rid of andre himes; with many of them not knowning about the power of the holy lamb of GOD who have been guarding ANDRE HIMES life ,since the day he was born at SHAW AIR FORCE BASE on APRIL 30 1965 Neither BILL CLINTON(antichrist) nor will the demon rulers of this world will be surprise by the chosen one miraculous survival in the future ,since by looking at ANDRE'S forehead they knew what the white femninist and those who are his enemies did not know. Under racial profiling many BLACK AMERICANS were arrested and were either martyred within the prison system or were deported to AFRICA , where of them were martyred there and were buried in mass graves in both the SUDAN and in the CONGO

March 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sofa King

Meg, meet Andre. Andre, Meg.

March 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • robinsondb

Oh Good one Sofa King.....is this crazy free for all day or what.? Are they serious or just pulling our legs? I would like to believe they are just having us on for the fun of it....the alternative is just too darned alarming!

March 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Colin

A friend was texting while we were on our boat. He dropped his phone in. Another friend jumped in to save it before it sank. He had his phone in his pocket. In the matter of a split-second, there were two ruined phones.

March 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. I can do it...

I'm walking and texting right now. It's not difficult at ahhh.......

March 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • robinsondb

bye bye "I can do it" please toss your phone up to me!!...I'll save it..tee hee..(need a new phone)

March 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. losethefear

I can see why no one takes your comments and posts seriously.

March 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat2u

Hell, people walking into trouble while texting is not so amazing. I know people who can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

March 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

No kidding bobcat, I swear I'm going to kill one of these people one day, walking out into traffic without looking.

March 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I know BOMBO. People today display an extraordinary amount of stupidity anymore. I personally haven't had problems withe pedestrians, but if i had a dollar for every driver I've had to dodge because of their texting, I would be in the 1 %.

March 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nutz

Wow. I miss the days when..

AOL was keep separate,

Libraries didn't have internet access.

There were no smart phones for dumb people.

March 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NowIC

You text, you fall, I laugh. Get over it.

March 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CenTexan©

I say I thought this was a post on walking and texting!

March 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sy2502

Darwin at work

March 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

The Darwin thing applies my when they die and their genes are removed from the morass that is humankind.

March 22, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Fiona

The only person lower than Fountain Lady is her lawyer. Why does everything have to become a lawsuit in the US?

The manhole story is less funny. a young child could have fallen in that unmarked hole. Dogs, cats, a cyclist. That was true negligence on the city's part.

March 22, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Face

Don't hit Report Abuse on someone just because they are mentally unstable....... o.k. it is your right.

March 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ann west

🔴 People are way less Coordinated than they think the are

March 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |