Gotta Watch: The perils of texting and walking
A teen walks and texts.
March 22nd, 2012

Gotta Watch: The perils of texting and walking

We’ve all texted when we probably shouldn’t have. Maybe it was while waiting in line, walking down the street, or pushing a cart at the grocery store. The people below have suffered the consequences of texting while walking, too. They’ve done everything from dropping into a manhole to falling into Lake Michigan. Consider this a warning to avoid the same fate. Have you ever run into anything while texting? Post your stories in the comments below.

Pier plunge

A Michigan woman was sending a text near Lake Michigan and didn’t realize how close she was to the water. She tripped and fell six feet into the water below. See what she did when she realized she was falling.

Fountain fall

This video of a woman falling into a mall fountain while texting made a big splash online. She wasn’t too happy about being a national punch line. But it was her behavior after the memorable moment that really sent Anderson Cooper over the edge on his RidicuList.

Manhole mayhem

After a New York teen fell into a manhole while texting, we found plenty of examples of other texting mishaps. Compare yourself to these people to see if you’re a “technosexual.”

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch • Michigan • Technology
  1. Eric

This didn't happen to me, but I saw this happen in a grocery store. This tall skinny kid comes in. He's looking at his phone and not where he's going. I'm at the self-serve checkout. The store had placed this display of Pepsi 6-packs of 16 oz bottles near the checkouts. The bottles were piled up in a pyramid shape. This kid never saw them – – until he litterally fell onto them. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

March 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Embarrassed

Many MANY years ago, when I was eleven years old, I was walking down the street when I noticed a pretty girl on the other side of the street walking the other direction. As I walked, I couldn't help but stare and I walked squarely into a parking meter, which made a loud rattling noise and deposited me on my back side. It's okay to laugh, she did, my dad did, my borthers did, heck even I did. But at least she was cute and I was eleven. Today, I watch where I am going.

March 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • robinsondb

OMG...thank goodness I'm not the only one...13, at the beach, beautiful looking guys, shirtless, playing volley ball and I'm watching so closely,,,,wham right into a light standard...funny now (a thousand years later)..but then not so much.
      Didn't even need to be texting...way before cell phones.

March 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PJ

Will someone please pass out the tin foil hats....PLEASE? All these voices...it's getting crowded in here!

March 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Feast of Beast

I despise texters to the core of my being. They walk in front of your car without looking, they ignore you when you want service, they have their heads completely up their azz. Whatever happens to them, they deserve.

March 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Agree w/you 100%.

March 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fallen Angel

I have no mercy for these morons!!!! They are called smart phones but,the people who use them are extremely stupid!!!!

March 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe davis

Thats why there called "SMART PHONES" they do the thinking for dumb people...without the phone these people couldn't feed themselves

March 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JimmyIsNotMayNameO

Nothing too bad... Just last minute (sometimes unsuccessful) turns to avoid eating foliage hitting other people...

March 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beam

I see people walking and texting or talking on their phones here all the time...I get the feeling they are fearful though. I mean they are just going for a walk for exercise in the neighborhood alone and its like since they have no one to walk with them, they have to have their friend with them in some way! I think its very strange actually. When I go for a walk I put my phone in my pocket and have in there in case of some emergency. Sadly women walking alone get harassed..:/ But other then that I am focusing on just enjoying the walk and like actually looking around! I think texting is a pain in the neck. Its so much faster and easier to just call and talk to someone...

March 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nikki

Fountain Lady - NO ONE is at fault but you! You chose to text & walk. Try turning off the stupid phone, turn your brain ON and watch where you are going. Count your blessings that you weren't really hurt because you could have been. You are responsible for what you do - not everyone else. Time to grow up and stop blaming everyone else because you were stupid in the first place.

March 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nikki

Darwinism trying to be in effect in all of these cases. Morons.

March 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ousal Dove

OMG, walking and texting is DUMB ! Just like driving and texting!!!
    Morons, how do they even get to work in once piece.

March 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Lebowski

F-ing idiots. Idiocracy in full effect. See Wall-e as well. We're headed there for sure.

March 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ramicio

Are they gonna make this illegal next? MORONS need to learn to do two things at once. It is possible, but not for idiots.

March 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Watch Where

You're f-n goin. The end. Pier lady gets kudos for taking responsibility.

March 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TheMovieFan

Interesting. The majority of the people in these videos are female.

March 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. maria

i hate when this nmorons text when they drive or walk, texting and driving kill people,texting and walking it can cost their life too,what a bunch of morons,when I walk thru them I scream at them and they jump I love it ....they can hit you with the body since the face is stuck on the phone,why is peoplke doing this when we didn't had phones we survive ..why is so important to text and text they are rude...they should walk and drive and NOT TEXTING.....

March 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |