Marine says he faces discharge over Obama comments
Stein is facing discharge from the Marines due to comments he made about President Obama.
March 22nd, 2012

Marine says he faces discharge over Obama comments

A politically active Marine who has questioned President Barack Obama's authority said Thursday he is facing administrative discharge proceedings over his comments.

Sgt. Gary Stein, who founded the Armed Forces Tea Party, said his commanding officer at Camp Pendleton near San Diego has accused him of violating a catch-all military justice provision against conduct endangering "good order and discipline."

He is also accused of violating a Department of Defense policy limiting the political activities of service members.

Stein came under scrutiny from Marine officials after posting that he would not obey Obama's orders.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Marines • Military • Politics • U.S.
  1. JerseyJeff

He says he will not obey orders from President Obama, the Commander-in-Chief. In case anybody doesn't know already, the President is the top boss of all U.S. military branches. Sounds like he should be court martialed for mutiny.

PS CNN – why does it say there are 21 comments yet I can only read 1?

March 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Superman

Its good that this marine is being discharged, id rather see that , than have him go back to fight and than cost many lifes because of his political beliefs . And your right to all who have said he IS to obey orders PERIOD! Ive never been the armed forces, but have done "other" things not to be mentioned, and thats the last thing i would do is disobey orders. If you do than you just as well kiss your fellow troppers goodby

March 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

It would of been more appropriate to say something like: I will follow the orders of President Obama under protest".
    At least if you jump off the cliff, cause some fool told you to do so, you packed a chute.

March 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

The only reason this person was "pointed" out, was cause of "Republican", "tea party", GOP ect. CNN eats this up because it's ruling class mud slinging material, and they'll do almost anything to stir up it's liberal arm.

March 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy© "I Post Under My Own Name"

Bull, Jeff.
      This Marine singled himself out with his own comments.You can bet your ass if a Marine did that on GWB's watch, he'd be in Guantanamo.
      We get it.
      You hate Obama.
      So does this Marine, and he was stupid enough to publish it online.
      May he get what he deserves.

March 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

Hey Frank, take yer butt back ta FOX,Sarahs cryin for ya.She's looking for more anal retentives like you to fill the seats...Ya say no to the MAN,COURT MARSHALL HIM,enough said.Im outta here....

March 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • meb777

yeah thats it, NOT!!u republicans

April 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

/////JF END SESSION THIS THREAD BYE/////

March 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

This is a stupid blog......I don't care where you work, civilian or military .....even in a union shop, you don't step up and refuse to follow the boss's orders without consequences...Jeez!

March 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy© "I Post Under My Own Name"

100% agreed.

Why people don't get that the POTUS is the Commander-in-Chief, and orders by him must be obeyed, is beyond me.

March 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ron

He seems to have forgotten part of that oath. "...I will obey the orders of the president of the united states and the officers appointed over me..." He broke the faith. Bottom line. His right to choose ended when he chose to raise his right hand and take his oath. I served under 4 presidents (read Commanders in Chief). I didn't necessarily like all of them or what I was ordered to do. However, I swore an oath. Following through on that oath was a point of honor. That still has to mean something in the military. Are you held to a different/higher standard than a civilian? Heck yes! That's the price you pay for the privilege to serve. Bad call Marine!

March 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. leeintulsa

"marine says..." sounds like he needs to shut up..

March 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Atompkins

Will i follow this man in battle hell no

March 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ITGUY

Who cares what you think. You are obviously not a Soldier. WE FOLLOW ORDERS. I FOLLOWED BUSH'S. We don't get to pick and choose. Thats why we have the UCMJ. and not some loser on CNN commenting on things they know nothing about.

April 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Presbylutheran

As a former Army officer, I'd say this guy has a basic misunderstanding of what "NO, DON'T DO THAT" means. He needs to be out of the service.

March 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. momof5

As a former service member, I know that having differing political beliefs from who is in-house happens, and I don't condemn anything that was said (that I've heard), I do condemn this young sergeant for being so naiive to think that he wouldn't be liable for his actions because of his position as a U.S. service member. No one forced him to take the oath, and sign on the many dotted lines. All service members know that they are only allowed to fight FOR freedom of speech...they don't get that right themselves.

March 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ryan

took the oath, now violated it, he should go

March 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

When you sign up for any job for ANY job, you've agreed to *their* rules. I would have to say that this guy wears his arrogance well.

March 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rustoleum

so what happened to the servicemen against Bush when they spoke out?

April 6, 2012 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
    • ITGUY

Name one that wasn't removed. I didn't agree with Bush but I obeyed every order that was given to me. If they spoke out agianst him, they were discharged. Period. Name someone who wasn't.

April 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |