March 29th, 2012

Firefighters continue to battle Colorado wildfire

Firefighters were hoping to make more progress Thursday on a deadly wildfire that torched more than 4,000 acres in a mountainous area near Denver.

After feverish battles by more than 500 firefighters, authorities said the blaze was about 15% contained Wednesday.

The Colorado Forest Service apologized for the wildfire after it was revealed that it was caused by a "controlled" burn that got out of control, killing at least two people.

"This is heartbreaking and we're sorry," State Forester Joe Duda told reporters Wednesday about the Lower North Fork Fire, which has scorched 4,140 acres in Jefferson County, destroying or damaging 27 houses and leaving a woman missing in addition to the two fatalities.

The revelation pushed Gov. John Hickenlooper to suspend such burns. A team is being formed to investigate how last Thursday's controlled burn re-erupted on Monday as a wildfire.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. Starsheya Sestra

What a nice thought, Superman. Yours dearly, not gay Starsheya

March 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Superman

@bombo and @ banasy wheres thursdays humor come on your letting us down

March 29, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Superman

@starsheya sestra i hope you were being nice, i like nice people, your nice people are you not,,,,,,,,gay superman loves all

March 29, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Starsheya Sestra

@Superman: I am nice. I wish everyone were. I'll never hurt you, I promise. I ALWAYS keep my promises.

March 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fidel

Superman you are a perfect example of thinking that these people are nice people. They are not. Just because someone pretends to be kind and welcoming they are just casting a net to bring you into their grammar school clique. Do yourself a favor and step out of here. The females are oh so sweet laughing at your jokes and the males are frat boys who pretend to be your best bud and then they will stab you in the back, steal your name, write stupid things looking as though you said it, then come back around and cry foul in a false attempt to appear friendly.

March 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

You are right on the money, Fidel. I've caught myself not being very nice sometimes. I get defensive. I think, however, it's OFFENSIVE for people to constantly seek out the same posters over and over again with the sole intent of ruining the posting experience.They are constantly criticizing the content, mannerisms, and frequency of other posters, making it personal. It's difficult to know who to be nice to, when not everyone is transparent.

March 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fidel

thank you raven. It gets tiresome and does ruin the experience. I wish controls can be set in place.

March 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@raven: you can be nice to me 🙂

March 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ raven, There is much wisdom in being careful, being quick to listen and slow to speak. Don't let your guard down, even with those who you *think* are nice. Very said raven.

March 29, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

That being said, my being friendly isn't false. It may seem clique-y, but I don't talk to many people because I got sick of being trolled. Doesnt make me unfriendly, just wary.

March 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Starsheya Sestra

@raven: Hi. It is hard to tell who is being na ughty and who is being nice. Wish there were an easy button for THAT!

March 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@starsheya: more than a few of us are naughty *and* nice 😉

March 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Youre welcome, Fidel. I hope your experience here is a good one. Sincerely.

March 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Leeintulsa!!! How are you?? Course I can be nice to you! You make me laugh.and Amen,starsheya...nice name, btw.

March 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@raven: i am nearing celebration mode. won't know for sure until monday, but i think i found a higher paying full time job at last. i'll be back in the cake, just paying bills, not deciding which ones to pay this month and which to blow off cuz they'll wait another month.

until last year, me and the kids had a fam tradition involving going to the ren faire at the castle in muskogee. 9 years we had done it. had to miss it last year. but not this year. anyone wanting to see me in a kilt, see me at the castle towards the end of may 😉

March 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@leeintulsa:

I would gladly pay to see you in a kilt!
      Settle that age old question....
      You have my e-mail!

I sincerely hope you get the job.
      You deserve it!

March 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

m.s.! How's e.l.t.?

@Fidel:
    I wish they could put controls in place, also.
    I think you would see a significant drop in trolling posts...although if it's a money-making proposition, ie: $ for posts, that may be why there ARE no controls in place...

@leeintulsa:
    Welcoming as always!

@Superman:
    Still climbing?

March 29, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Aw lee, fingers crossed for you. Never been to a r faire but I would love to check one out. Dunno if I told you, but I have in laws (ex, actually) in Broken Arrow. Also in Afton/ Miami. Love love love it there. And m.s.!! How you doin? E.l.t. is good, cept this ding dang weather....gloomy...

March 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Superman

@@@leeintulsa,,,,,,,,,,thank you for asking ,,,,, been back this afternoon,,, climbwent great no problems,,,,, wonderfull client.now its time for rest,and back to work as sub contractor for wallmart, so how are you? Are you a nice person? Some people on these blogs are not so nice are they? Thamk you very much for being so possitive get back

March 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superman

@@@starsheya.....................dont let the angry ones on blogs deter you from speaking your mind or sharing your feelings, and further more some of these people are scared of what they dont understand ok, since your new it seems youll find a few decent people on here im one of them!!!!!!

March 29, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Superman

@@@@raven i feel sorry for you, may one day you can find peace in your heart to except all people regardless UNDERSTAND???????

March 29, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Superman, darling, I think you misunderstand raven.
      She has a world of acceptance in her heart...trust me.
      Especially in that area...
      She's one of the good ones.
      She is as good of a friend as chrissy is, and just as big-hearted, if you get my drift.

March 29, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. raven

superman, um, no, I DON'T understand....maybe in your infinite wisdom, you can enlighten me? I do ACCEPT people.

March 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. raven

@hamsta: take bean-no now, there' ll bean-o gas later.

March 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |