March 31st, 2012

Clashes erupt in Syria despite demands for cease-fire

The Syrian military clashed with defectors in the capital of Damascus on Saturday as regime forces bombarded other towns with heavy gunfire despite the United Nations' call for a cease-fire, opposition activists said.

Gunfire between both sides erupted in the Homs neighborhoods of Baba Amr and Jouret Al-Arayes, the opposition Local Coordination Committees of Syria said. Early-morning shelling also targeted other various areas in Daraa, Idlib, Hama and the Damascus countryside, opposition activists said.

The latest violence comes after a U.N. special envoy ordered President Bashar al-Assad to implement a peace plan and not await concessions from the opposition.

"The government must stop first and then discuss a cessation of hostilities with the other side and with the mediator," Ahmad Fawzi, a spokesman for special envoy Kofi Annan said Friday. "We expect him to implement this plan immediately."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arab Spring • Syria • World
  1. citizen

Yes, expecting assad to cease hostilities on his own people is a clear eyed plan.
    With the support of Russia, China, and Iran this totalitarian dictator enjoys thumbing his nose at Koffi and the rest of the world.

March 31, 2012 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ leeintulsa

You two are hurting my ribs from laughing so hard.

March 31, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Resident

Why do some of you begin your screen names with lower case letters? Like, why does Bob spell his name B-o-b everywhere but here?

March 31, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • citizen

Because russia is our greatest geopolitical foe. If you begin your screen name with an upper case letter the KGB will send an agent with a radioactive pen after you.

March 31, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Resident:
      Oh, you are so right to ask that question! I am very happy to see that you, Resident, begin your screen name with a capital letter, as do I.
      What is wrong, evil, and politically incorrect about starting one's screen name with a lower-case letter is that attention may be drawn to that name. It may take a high profile on a screen, and we can't have that, especially in the New America, where Extreme Egalitarianism, and ExtremeEgalitarianismSpeak, rule.
      No one should call attention to himself or herself. We are all equal.
      Thank you for pointing out the PC trangressions of banasy, chrissy, dazzle, bobcat (in a hat), and others.
      I notice that Philip, Mary, Jazzzz, and Mmmmm always begin their screen names with capital letters. This is very respectful.
      Thank you for your contribution to social Progress and Change–not to mention Hope.

March 31, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@joey: rofl.. my excuse – and you may notice i rarely capitalize anything – is much less sinister. i blog from my phone. to capitalize, i have to beat my chest three times, stand up, turn around, double-take twice, humpback, humpback, then pirouette. it's just quicker and draws less attention to me from people on the street.

March 31, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ JIF

That was hilarious my friend. I haven't laughed out like in a long time from a post. My wife looked at me like I had lost it.

March 31, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I forgot to add:

@JIF:

This is why I adore you.
      Your grasp of social satire is impeccable.

March 31, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Because they do

@resident because people all over are not worried about what others such as yourself what you thank such as me so chill out and live a little are you one of those that believe in eat work sleep only

March 31, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • citizen

In a race to the bottom, eat, work and sleep becomes an exhaulted path.
      If working class defines best the social economic fit for you then don't disparage this individual for having latched onto core values.

March 31, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Resident

It was just a simple question in passing. sheesh. But your (citizen) response has perked my interest. There must be a reason why a 'Bob' becomes 'bob' when blogging on CNN. Sherlock Holmes could probably figure this out without asking.

March 31, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • citizen

Because bob used to be Jim briske, sharri w.w. the truck driver from texas and a 24 year old college student attending Dartmouth.
      To name a few. Other names no longer pass censorship.
      Don't need Sherlock.

March 31, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Resident

Lmao. Looks like I hit someone's nerve/dander up. Usually, simple questions are met by simple answers. Such is not the case this morning.

March 31, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. FREE MP4/3GP VIDEOS FOR FREE, 4 ADULT ONLY

syria anoda civil war ground.

March 31, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. RUFFNUTT (( 1/2 5th level magic-using kender ,1/4 illusionist ,1/4 warrior ))

they should all have a lock in at the ymca...

March 31, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. citizen

Ruffmut had a joe cooler persona as the hip80's camaro dude.
    The nerdy dungeons and draggings thing is lame.

March 31, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. citizen

Try something like :
    Ruffmutt (camaro warlord from Hades ) half stoner half baker

March 31, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. RUFFNUTT (( mustang watseing , beer drinking trailer trash from belton missouri ))

lol... i sold my camaro tho.. and bought a pontiac firebird... altho i still have my rat tail.. and 3 wolves t-shirt on..

March 31, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT (( mustang watseing , beer drinking trailer trash from belton missouri ))

I HAD A 67 camaro.. but it was two far gone... so i let that one go... the firebird is rust free tho...this firebird i got was from some jerry springer rejects... it was the only thing they had of any value...

March 31, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@ruffnutt: we have some of that springer clan living around here, too. i'm sure they're related. or sleeping together. or both..

March 31, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. citizen

Heh heh,
    Sorry it's gone. Got a friend who has a 67 camaro and a 68 firebird.
    Response took so long because I had to hook the well pump up to a generator and the water heater up to a small lp tank.
    With the temp near freezing this morning, just felt like a hot shower would be nice.
    Siphoned the gas for the generator from my 94 ford festiva.
    Now it's on to the morning repast.
    Two handfuls of great value trail mix and half a bag of potato skins.

March 31, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. raven

Bad troll! Bad! bad! Tsk tsk.

March 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. raven

lol leeintulsa, that cracked me up!

March 31, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

lmao @ leeintulsa, now THAT was funny! And more accurate than people realize.

March 31, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

I just re-read ahem, supposedly Joeys post and it seems more like it was written by mary or philip. Now i want you all to notice the ONLY name i capitalized was the one that has EARNED my respect! Lmfao!

March 31, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@chrissy: it cracked me up. don't really care who wrote it

March 31, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |