March 31st, 2012

Clashes erupt in Syria despite demands for cease-fire

The Syrian military clashed with defectors in the capital of Damascus on Saturday as regime forces bombarded other towns with heavy gunfire despite the United Nations' call for a cease-fire, opposition activists said.

Gunfire between both sides erupted in the Homs neighborhoods of Baba Amr and Jouret Al-Arayes, the opposition Local Coordination Committees of Syria said. Early-morning shelling also targeted other various areas in Daraa, Idlib, Hama and the Damascus countryside, opposition activists said.

The latest violence comes after a U.N. special envoy ordered President Bashar al-Assad to implement a peace plan and not await concessions from the opposition.

"The government must stop first and then discuss a cessation of hostilities with the other side and with the mediator," Ahmad Fawzi, a spokesman for special envoy Kofi Annan said Friday. "We expect him to implement this plan immediately."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arab Spring • Syria • World
  1. chrissy

Me either but Joey might. And i only mentioned it because of your statement about me yesterday. Lmao

March 31, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

lol 😉

March 31, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

and also because they claim to never troll people.

March 31, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. barry

It'ths no mythtery why I write my name athe I do fellaths. (I uthed to uthe the the thame excuthes...my phone is hard to capitalize with...just being casual, even lazy. then i came out of the clothet about it and feel much much better about who I am, no longer ashamed.

March 31, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nomenclature

TROLL: Someone who makes-up screennames for various reasons, NEVER dupilicating someone else's s/n.
    POSER/HIJACKER: A person who DOES "hijack" someones name and POSES as them.
    LURKER: Without a doubt the most sinister...a person who quickly scans the blogs each day searching for his or her target victim. Easy to spot...they're the ones complaining the loudest about people using different s/n's.

March 31, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Sorry, one more example using Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity" :

franklin jeffries (D-Iowa) Left Wing Retardobility
      (Found on the FB thread)

I have noticed this a lot.
      Why would someone suddlenly aquire this repugnant habit?
      Is this a ground-breaking trend that requires a new definition?
      I wonder at the pathology of someone who does this.

March 31, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ banasy,
      Why none of your so called friends have pointed this out tru text to you I don't know but don't you mean *basterdized*

March 31, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ Cnn
      I hate the fact that I could not hit a reply button to banasy's reply comment
      Please fix this
      Btw, I wasn't being arrogant by pointing that misspelled word because that is the second time in two days you have used it without a single friend of yours coming forward to ACT like a friend and inform you. Some friends!

March 31, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

No, Mary, what I mean is b a s t a r d i z e d.
      CNN won't let me write this, though.
      My friends know this, therefore won't point it out.

March 31, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@mary: if there is no way to reply, then what you are looking at is a reply to another post. simply scroll up to the first post you *can* reply to, and reply to it. they used to indent replies. why they changed that, i cannot say.

perhaps they are imperfect people 🙂

March 31, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Superman

Superman is neutral in this one!!!! You folks figure out this one of trolls

March 31, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

Yes the prof is in the "pudding" and the archives are prof for anyone to read.

March 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Superman

This article is about syria,,, and saving lives as long as someones heart is in the correct place than what should it matter world peace is everybodys responsibility not just one government or people its a worl wide thing. Which will never be acheived through bickering about small childish things.we as americans should set the example, but instead here we are changing the conversation to capitalization, its called #*+==0##-#-!!!!

March 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@superman: i perceive it like this.

nothing has changed regarding syria since it all began. assad's still killing people, the rebels are still killing people.. assad doesn't want peace, and even if he did, the rebels don't. they change the wording of the articles, but it's the same old story, day after day. and nothing our little peanut gallery has to say will change anything..

we've all pretty much said what we have to say about this. we can either keep regurgitating the same old posts, or use it as kind of a free thread to talk to friends, etc.

cnn tried to make a place for people to go talk to each other, but nobody went there. that's because the primary reason we post is to talk about the news. the rest comes from familiarity. we're already here, why go there?

March 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

You mean proof? Cuz last i knew the prof was on gilligans island with the rest of the crew.

March 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

And the reason i just pointed out the *proof* word, cuz i dont normally correct peoples spelling, is because i dont believe that was mary making that post! Take a hike troll or lurker or whatever the hell you are!

March 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

" Clashes Erupt In Syria, despite call for cease fire "

Now there's the unexpected news of the day.

Hello to you chrissy, leeintulsa, Superman and Mary ( If that happens to be Mary )

March 31, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

hi bobcat

March 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@citizen:
      You got everything else right, lol.
      You don't have to apologize!
      Kinda miss those days.

March 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RUFFNUTT (( mustang watseing , beer drinking trailer trash from belton missouri ))

i'm soo tired of syria... i wish korea would hurry up and launch that rocket already..

March 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

lol @ lee, and ruffnutt, and helloooo bobcat! You had me crackin up last night bobcat when i read your posts to the big fat furry deal! Too funny!

March 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@citizen:
    Sherri was from Illinois. Always used ~.

@Resident:
    Nothing more sinister than I like the way it looks.
    I used to capitalize it on another blog, but I like the way it looks in lower caps better.
    If I were to use my first name, Donna, I would capitalize it.

March 31, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |