April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Scott

BOYCOT the Miami Marlins!!!!

2. Jeff Williams

This is just asinine.

3. Carlton

Although I don't agree with his comments, political correctness is a symptom of a serious problem which proves we are losing our freedoms in this country. If he had threatened someone's life or imposed his views or beliefs on someone by violating their freedoms is one thing, but making a stupid comment is another! This is becoming a serious problem people, we better wake up!

4. Paul

What Ozzie said was offensive to the community which ultimately pays his salary. Look up the demographics of south Florida. He has the right to express his views, no matter how misguided, he does not have the right to manage a baseball team. He must conduct himself in a manner that helps put fans in the seats.

• Mari

"fans in their seats"? The only time that the Marlin's have been able to keep fans in their seats was when they were blazing their way to the World Series. Most of the time, they play to a near empty stadium. So why is it now Ozzie's job to keep the fans in their seats??? Looks like the Cuban fans were boycotting way before Ozzie made his comments.

April 10, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Anne

The First amendment doesn't apply to a baseball team! It applies to our government. So no help there. That said, they are way off for suspending him for his political comments! Not to mention, he didn't even say that he agreed with Castro. What a shame.

• SayWhat?

No... The First Amendment applies to ALL United States citizens. Just because your on a baseball team you don't suddenly loose your freedom of speech, that doesn't even make sense.

April 10, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Anne, get a life. I feel sorry for you. What a comment!

April 10, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Anne

@say what? Yes, it applies to all US citizens. What you don't understand is that free speech means we can say what we want and our government can't hold it against us. Employers, on the other hand, CAN hold it against you. Free speech does NOT protect you from your employer, it protects you from your government.

April 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

So, David, you're ok with getting suspended if your boss doesn't agree with your political views/comments? Interesting. I dont agree with his comments, I just don't think he should be suspended for them.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. J Mann

Where is the ACLU when you need them? This is a blatant violation of his right of free speech. No Castro fan, but in America, you can say you like Hitler, Stalin and the Devil if you so please. Bad choice.

• Carlton

The ACLU will only jump into somehting to fight against Christians or Conservatives!

April 10, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Yes, you can say it, but your employer should have the right to terminate if you hurt his bottom line. Its not like he's working on an assembly line, he's a public figure who helps put fans in the seats.

April 10, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. sbp

Kevin: you must be a foreigner, because you have no clue what the First Amendment is about.

8. Mattie

Don't agree with Mr. Guillen, but he has a right to express his opinion. Furthermore, the Marlins organization could have chosen to handle the situation with candor, trusting the fans to make up their own minds- instead they punish the man for speaking. Well played.

9. Kern Herrmann Jr

The Marlins pander to the people in Miami who would prefer to see the achievements in Cuba interpreted as oppression. They would love to see kids starve than for a government that overcome our imperialism continue to improve human rights, health care, etc. Let's boycott the Marlines!

10. Nita

This is really really stupid. The man was not praising Castro. He was talking about the fact that he has been able to be in power and maintain power for decades. This is a prime example of political correctness gone amuck.

11. Ja!

DEJA LO! CONO! LOL

12. JomoDaMusicMan

Millions of White Baseball People love Rush Limbaum, and receives no penalty. Rush, is far more damaging to the peace & security of America than Castro

13. sbp

J Mann – maybe finish high school before you go blathering about what is a violation of the First Amendment.

14. Robert

Where is the freedom of speech.
    People make a big deal out of nothing. We are all different and have different point of views.
    Stop being stupid and try to make everyone think the same way because its not going to happened.

15. freaksloan

Nobody is putting him in jail, nobody is saying he doesn't have the right to say it. But as Ozzie has the right to Free Speech, do do I, and OZZIE is a racist idiot that gets a free pass because the color of his skin.

Free speech does not mean you have a right to be heard and it also doesn't mean you are free from criticism.

The left only thinks the left has free speech, if I don't agree with the left I need to be silenced.

April 10, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

I'm generally considered to be from "the left". I certainly don't have a problem with hearing your side. However, as much as I despise both Castro and Guillen, I also don't see that Guillen said anything that would merit punishment in a so-called free country. He didn't say that he admired Castro because he really likes brutal dictators. He admired Castro's ability to maintain power for 6 decades despite many super powers throughout the world wanting his head on a platter. You have to admit, it was a very remarkable accomplishment. I can disagree with someone without wanting to see them punished. That's the mindset of someone who not only wants to live in a free country, but who also understands what it truly means.

April 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |