April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. GOP Hate America

so much for free speech

April 10, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • freaksloan

You are an idiot.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. martin

So much for freedom of speech. This is what happens when you anger a small but disproportionately
    powerful voting block. Watch Marco Rubio try to cash in on this. It will take the spotlight off of his missing birth certificate.

April 10, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. MickJ

Ozzie committed a thought crime! MLB is watching you. Wait, what was the crime again? He called Castro an SOB! After that, he apologized. I think something is full of fail.

April 10, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

No kidding, Mick. I suppose if Marlins fans don't like Coldplay, Ozzie has to listen to their discography at home with headphones for fear of being outed by the Latin community and suspended without pay.

April 10, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dawn

This is totally outrageous. All Guillen did was state his opinion.
    Can we no longer express how we feel?
    Politicians do it all the time. Frankly he should not have apologized, even if he were pressured.
    So he respects or admires Fidel Castro, what's the big deal.
    Like him ( Castro) or hate him he toots his own horn.

April 10, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

So much for the 1st Amendment. America dies a little bit more each day. I weep for the future.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Let me show ya somethin

Open mouth insert foot. Better to have kept your mouth shut and have people guess if your an idiot, rather than open it and let em know.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. LOL

Who cares! What he said doesn't impact me in any way. I don't even know who he is. Why is this a big deal?

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Let me show ya somethin

You don't know who this person is nor do you care about the article, yet you took the time to comment about it, ummm okay, that sounds legit

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. sbp

GOP Hate, Martin, so much for knowing anything about the Bill of Rights. What is WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tee

He's pathetic for backtracking and the team is ridiculous for squelching free speech. Deport him.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Tee: Didn't you read, he became a U.S. citizen. He can't be deported. People need to LEARN a little bit about immigration laws before they speak!

April 10, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Captain Obvious

I'm not a fan of Guillen by any stretch. I think he's an idiot. But suspending him for saying something dumb makes the league look like even bigger idiots.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Griot

Wow! So please remind me which government is supposed to be the repressive one the US or Cuba?

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Captain Obvious

I must have missed the part where MLB became the US government.

April 10, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

Cubans want freedom of speech in cuba but they dot allow it here in the USA. He should be able to say what ever he wants to say.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. shouldn't have hired him then

They should not have hired Ozzie if they were afraid of his mouth.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. OGR99

The Miami Marlins are protecting their brand and product. They have every right to suspend Ozzie.

April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. tostonesfix

I would have fired the guy.

April 10, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • D Forbes

There's a real true red blooded right-wing thinker for you....

April 10, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |