April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. William Fitzsimmons

Although I disagree with the type of governance in Cuba, suspending a man for expressing his opinion about this is RIDICULOUS. The moron who suspended him should be fired.

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. What?

Freedom of Speech in America, NOT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. Marcus

sbp, you fool (I have lowered myself to your name-calling), I am thanking liberals for the thin-skinned, easily offended nation we have become, not the Cubans. Reading comprehension comes in handy from time to time.

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Waah Liberals did it waahh waaaah. Go cry over a Faux News you dolt.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. satmatt

Us Canadians get a laugh at how some Americans get their knickers in a twist over Cuba...the people are not rich, but no one's starving, no one's living on the street, the place is essentially drug-free & they all get free medical care. And there is 10% of the police presence that you see in Mexico. In addition, over the last couple of years, Raoul Casto has opened things up for small-time capitalism; half the population has their own micro–business going. Only a fool would think that things are better in El Salvador, Honduras or Guatemala than they are in Cuba. Thx for speaking your mind, Ozzie – so sorry that you had to retract your statement in the 'Land of the Free'...

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Michael Corujo

Yes, We are a Nation of Freedoms, but how would you feel if you were Jewish and Ozzie managing a team in Israel was to praise Adolf Hitler? Or while managing a team in the Middle East, he made a comment disrespecting the Profet Mohammed?? It is not about Freedom, my friend; it is about COMMON SENSE!! Miami has the largest population of Cubans in the world! People who suffered under Castro and deserve a little more respect.

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Jumbotron

So censorship is more important than Freedom of Speech?

April 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • What?

Common sense or not, we are supposed to be free to say what we want, but aparently that's not allowed in AMerica anymore

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. AmericanSam

I think people should be free to say if they respect someone or not regardless of whether that someone is actually a good person or not. I'm free to say Fidel Castro was a terrible dictator, but I hope that I wouldn't be punished for having a positive opinion about someone else that maybe the majority of people didn't like. I believe in the freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Josh

Fidel Castro, he use to make convertible sofas, no?

"The first to conquer living space, its Castro Convertibles"

April 10, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. What?

Just a little bit more of your freedoms being taken away every day and every body seems to be ok with it. Just wait, the more you let them take, the more they will take, and soon you won't have any freedoms if we don't start speaking up

April 10, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. zzzzz

He never said he liked Castro's policies, he just gave him credit for staying in power and alive so long. I still do not see what the big deal is. Having respect for the "enemy" does not make one. Overblown.

April 10, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Well said.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. DavidB

I've NEVER like Ozzie Guillen, but suspending him for his remarks about Castro smacks of communistic-like suppression of free speech. South Florida's Cuban community is so fanatical in its hatred of Castro that they literally engage in the same intolerance of opposing viewpoints that communist governments have always been accused of.

April 10, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. Carlos the Jackal

Ah yes, the freedom of speech. Small minded people who can't agree to disagree. Noooo we all march to the same drum beat. True free individuals who do as they are told to.
    Gawd what has this country come to?

April 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. P B

lol@ 'Miama Marlins'

April 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. sbp

Marcus, you fool, so you are blaming liberals for making Conservatives think skinned enough to protest Guillen? Boy, is that a stretch. And I called you a fool because you pretend to know what the First Amendment means, but you don't have a clue.

April 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. ModXell

What's Miama?

April 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. jack hall

why does he get suspended for expressing his opinion? WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH?

April 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Junebug

A private company suspended him, not the government. That's the difference.

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

Freedom of speech ONLY means that the government cannot tell you want not to say. It has nothing to do with the people who pay you a salary. They have every right to tell you want not to say - especially when they are paying you a lot of money. That said, I respect Fidel Castro for ruling Cuba for so long. I don't like him and wouldn't mind seeing the CIA pop a cap in his head, but I certainly respect him.

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |