April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. hellodollyllama

I'm with Ozzie on this one. It's time for the 300 million Americans who are NOT Cuban to stop cowering in fear of offending the Cubans in Florida. Castro is a communist thug, but he did outlast a dozen presidents who wanted him gone, and continuing to treat him the same way we treat the Iranians is stupid. I mean seriously, we are thinking seriously about negotiating with THE TALEBAN, the people who helped create al-Qa'ida and 911, and we're not allowed to negotiate with Castro? Because he's worse that Usama, or something?

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • julia

Right on, hellodollyllama! This is SO stupid!

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • asdf

Our embargo against Cuba is absolutely idiotic, and is only kept around because the corn industry pays for it. Cuba has sugar to trade, but corn farmers would rather kill you with more dangerous corn syrup.

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • sparky

fvcking idiot

April 10, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. ThePastaSauce

Athletes should stick to playing with their "balls" and stay out of politics....

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. jamie0218

They suspended him for saying he respects some guy? What? I would tell the ball team to go find some other guy to push around. I would quit just on principle. First Amendment anyone?

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. onestarman

UNAMERICAN – Thats what I call Punishing a Man for expressing his opinion as an American that he respects another man.

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ping Pong

This guy is stupid.... how can you say something like this the Cubanamerican community that you love Fidel Castro a cruel dictator? fired him!

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

He said respect not love idiot...

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • julia

Ozzie said he respects Castro–nothing about loving the guy! Fidel has endured, and that alone is worthy of acknowledgment.

April 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. James

Morons talking about "free speech". Democracy means you are free to say whatever you like. But it does not mean there are NO consequences.

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Marcus

Name-calling is the last refuge of the ignorant and out-argued.

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. coachhouser

"I'm gonna be a Miami guy for the rest of my life," Guillen said.

Can someone tell me how long he's lived there? 20 years or 20 weeks? Regardless, won't he be moving as soon as he's fired by Miami, or he resigns to work for more money somewhere else?

April 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. cash679

THis has happened before. Remember how ESPN stopped using the Monday Night Football song because the singer made some comment? There is no free speech when you work and represent a franchise, company, etc. Your words and actions will be judged, and sometimes there will be a price to pay.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. bc

He is a baseball player. His thoughts have to bearing on our lives. He has nothing to do with laws or policies. Let him play and let people be offended.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  11. Danny

So, the First Amendment is dead... apparently.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Scott

If your upset about it then go to the Miami Marlins website and tell them how you feel. There is a contact us link at the bottom of their page.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. MillieBea

This has nothing to do with the First Amendment. This has to do with idiocy. Where is the largest anti-Castro-Cuban-American population? Need I answer. He put the entire franchise in jeopardy. What Cuban-American is going to support a team with him as skipper? What player who has Cuban blood and or relatives will want to play for the guy?
    He has the right to say whatever he wants- but he doesn't have to keep his job when his words do significant damage to the health of the business that employs him.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. mike

WHAT? First of all, he was being facetious. Second of all, even if he was serious, who cares?! I know that free speech doesn't apply to private employment, but still, what a stupid thing to be suspended for.

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • sparky

WHAT? An employee representing a company being suspended for offending their customers? WHAT? An employee being suspended for insubordination? WHAT? An employee being suspended for thinking they can say whatever they want and think they won't suffer the consequences?

WHAT?

Dumb @ $ $

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. what??

what is this... the 1960's

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • TRUEBOB

The Marlins have seen the last $ from my family for this unAmerican PC maneuver.

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |