April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Veruca Salt

You spelled Miami on the front page of cnn.com as "Miama". Fix it. Nice going editors.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. What?

Sue Ozzie, sue. You have a right to open your mouth whether people like it or not.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. 1amazed1

Come on folks. He said he respected castro because he has dodged being killed for so many years. Nothing more. He did not say that he embraced communism or anything like that. Just the fact that he is still alive after all these years. People twist wording around so much.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Regnad Kcin

Had to check the byline to make sure this story didn't come from our good friends at "The Onion".

Sadly, it didn't.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. MKboatman

He is not being sent to the Combinado del Este for 15 years, He is being suspended for 5 days by his boss.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. sbp

Gee, Marcus, that would be great if you were even CLOSE to right. Explain to me again how the Bill of Rights guarantees that a company can't fire a guy for saying something they don't like? Out argued? You couldn't out-argue my socks.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Marcus

If your mental issues weren't so strong, and your reading comprehension so poor, you'd know that I never stated anything about the First Amendment or a private company in my comment. They all blur together when you're not well, don't they?

April 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Breed

Yet another instance, among countless others, where anyone 'famous' should not open their mouth about social issues unless they have their professional babysitter with them. Ridiculous.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. canniwander

Wow! Castro was a dictator, but them suspending him for having an opinion is freedom-loving?
    I can now officially say, The Marlins Suck!

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. noyb

So much for free speech.

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. KC

Miama ??? Doesn't CNN use spellcheck before posting.. especially headline on the front page ?

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Danny Part Two: Electric Boogaloo

Aww, look at how sad he looks in that picture! : (

Somebody ought to Photoshop him a nice cadet cap, a hammer and sickle, and a big ol' cigar. I"m sure that'll cheer him up!

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Denis Provencher

If this would happen in Russia, all americans commentators would have seen this a proof of lack of freedom of speech. I dislike castro and dislike those who limit the right to speak.

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jennifer

Freedom for the thoughts we hate!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jane Doe

Miama?? Hahahah

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bob

Who cares? God I'm tired of these cry babies we have in this country. You are free to speak your mind in this country. You know those freedoms we have here? Oh well I guess we have these freedoms unless someone doesn't agree with you. F them and all of these people who say they love freedom can go to hell!

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Whelan

Hey Bob;
      Seems like YOU are one of those cry babies.
      Ozzie Guillen spoke out and got hammered for his stupid remarks. He offended not only Cubans who lost their country to Castro but, to all those that oppose Communist dictatorships.

April 10, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • yuri pelham

They are already in hell.... and we are their neighbors.

April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |