April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Fidel Castro

Thought Crime....Thought Crime....

...and people say Cuba is a repressive society!

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Whelan

Guess you didn't live in Cuba post 1959.

April 10, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. t3chsupport

So much for freedom of speech. You can say you hate him all you want, but don't you dare claim respect!

Respect isn't the same as support, and even that isn't illegal. What year is this again?

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Whelan

Please tell me how , in your right mind, you can respect Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. cnetsoon

People who say what happened to free speech don't know what they are talking about. You have free speech as far as the USA is concerned. With regard to your employer, that's never been the case. are you people really that uneducated?

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. tony

Republican "freedom" strikes again. What a bunch of Self righteous Taliban they are.

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. Shambalah

I don't give a hoot what your opinion is on Castro. No one should be punished for it, especially if asked. It's not like he brought the topic up on his own. This just happened to Kirk Cameron. Answer a question honestly these days, you'll pay with a backlash over-reaction from all the people whose feelings are wounded that you don;t agree with them. This is consumer culture censorship and it is just as insidious as Castro's limits on free speech in Cuba. The irony of punishing a man for utilizing his first ammendment rights regarding a totalitarian regime is a bit too rich in BS for my blood. What disgusting hypocrites his team managment is.

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Whelan

Isn't it also a first amendment right for the Cuban community to stand up for themselves & speak out against Guillan for his pro Castro remarks?
      Guillan is not going to jail for his remarks but, if he were in Cuba he would be tossed in prison if he made anti Castro comments.

April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. jim kirwan

the rich cuban-american republicans still rule s. miami and the cuban policy for the the U.S. I a free man a U.S. citizen and I cannot visit cuba because of these a__holes. I can go to vietnam where we lost many men but I can`t go to Cuba. A country we have never been at war with. Screw you old cubans, get a life. The young Cubans dont feel the same way. I will go to Cuba.
    Jimbo

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Doesitmatter?

So much for freedom of speech huh?? US, it's mind boggling how deluded your country is but yet your so patriotic. I don't understand for the life of me

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. mochica

This is disgusting. Why can't we speak freely in the U.S.? If Cuba wants to have a communist government, let them. Let's stop interfering. They have a better health care system than we do and the majority of the population is much better off with Castro than they were with Bautista. If it weren't for the U.S. embargo, Cuba would be just fine. Shame on us.

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Terry Moore

So, no First Amendment protection for him...?... What the hell, I too have to respect Castro for a lot of things he did, and revile him for a lot of other things... However he stayed the course, he stuck to his beliefs, and he did do some good to a peasant population that had been fiercely exploited under a US backed regime. That he is something of a dinosaur watching a changing world demolish some of his ideals...well that's life... Nevertheless, a rather impressive man....

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Martin

The guy probably has a clause in his contract that allows this kind of disciplining. Most employers could not get away with this. In 1981 (was it?) when Reagan was shot, a guy who heard about it at work and cheered was fired. He sued and received damages because his 1st Amendment rights were violated by his employer. Fortunately in America most of us can still speak our minds. And in any case, what he said about Castro wasn't that off base. He said he respected him for being a survivor, not for the things he has done in Cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Your first amendment rights keep the government from curbing your freedom not the consequences in a private workplace for saying something. If I own a business, then I can say what is acceptable. As to the Reagan story you mentioned, please provide a link.

April 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. What?

the owners of the Marlins should be ashamed suspending someone for voicing their opinion. How ridiculous, what's next, being fined for looking at someone the wrong way??? Come on, this is AMerica, isn't it???? Oh that's right, we are now in the land of everyone is offended by everything, I forgot, in that land, no one has any right!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cuban Joe

Are you kidding me? What did he say that was so wrong? Besides, doesn't he have the right to voice an opinion. What a load of crap. I feel so bad for him and have lost all respect for the Marlin Organization. I was born and raised in Miami and moved out of there because of nonsense like that. Those old cubans want to dictate what people can say, then they should move back to Cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ben

I love all of those who think this is some government issue or the man keeping Castro and anyone who likes him down. There is a huge Cuban-American community in Miami. They make their feelings known by where they spend or don't spend their dollars. They hate Castro and might not come to games. Simple as that...

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. matt

I respect Castro and I think his policies are wrong-headed, what country is this where you can't respect someone of your choosing?

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

You can, but there may be consequences.

April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. ck

Well Miami, you wanted him now you have him good luck.

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |