April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. B. Edwards

Wow! Imagine if he said he loved Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. marragor

Can't believe this guy was punished for stating an opinion...it's like we live in Cuba!

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • genebrady

I agree and couldn't have said it better.

April 10, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • To Be A Muse

That's what I was thinking. Since when does an opinion get treated as if he committed a horrible crime? I understand that others may not like his opinion, but he wasn't trying to make them all go back to Cuba. Geez.

April 10, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • rlr1

I can't either. This just shows how powerful the Cuban lobby has gotten in especially Florida. It is high time that the United States ends the Cuban preference and treats them as any other illegal immingrate.

April 10, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • VinceProfessor

Exactly. This is a disgrace. Ironic that people who are punishing him are doing exactly what Castro does: punishing people for their opinions. We are much worse than Cuba!

April 10, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. G.Lew

Are you kidding me?! Can you not say you respect someone for a particular action even though that person is an @ss? I've hear people say they respected Hitler for his ability to motivate the citizens of Germany, but I didn't assume that person was a Hitler supporter. What a crock! He should definitely fight that suspension!

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. reason

Freedom of speech? What freedom of speech? You make a political ststement and you lose your income? This is not right, no matter how you feel about Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Betsi

Whatever happened to free speech? I don't agree with the sentiments, but it's his right to feel that way and to voice his opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • eastcoast Mike

Freedom of speech is alive and well....He wasn't arrested, was he? Read the amendment. It's very clear.

April 10, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. What?

Ozzie should sue and the Marlins would deserve it!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. A.L. Humanist

The guy was suspended for having a political opinion? Isn't that the kind of thing they do in Cuba?

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Clark

I agree.

April 10, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. maggie

how would you react and the country if the Yankee's manager said that he admires Bill Laden? its the same thing.
    there are things that you can not said, even though we have freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • genebrady

Who's Bill Laden?

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • greg s

No, actually this isn't even remotely the same. First off, Ozzie just said he respected him for being able to live so long and stay in power despite the fact that so many wanted to kill him. Second, Fidel Castro never was in charge of any terrorist attacks on the USA that killed thousands of innocent people.

I'm not saying Fidel is a good guy, or that I love him (frankly I don't care), but making this comparison makes you sound... dumb?

As for the people crying about Freedom of speech, you should probably learn a bit more about what that actually means. Freedom of speech means you're allowed to say (most) anything you want without being punished criminally. This doesn't mean that people won't think you're a raging moron, or that your employer can't take action as a result of what you said.

April 10, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Andres C

He did not said he admired. He said he respected, and from the Spanish to English translation the term "respect" has a somewhat different meaning. In Spanish the term respect is used to acknowledge rather than admire. I believe that what Guillen was trying to say was that he acknowledged Fidel staying in power for so long despite so many attempts to take him down. He should definitely sue, he has a right to express his opinion, he is not President Obama or Hillary Clinton for God's sake.

April 10, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • joeblowski

who is bill laden?

April 10, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bob Mayberry

Since when did expressing a political opinion subject someone to possibly be fired? Scary.

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Juan

What happened to "Freedom of Speech"!

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Faithe

This is insanity. This guy was just expressing his opinion. He may be totally wrong, but doesn't he have the freedom of speech? You can really suspend a guy for saying something that is unpopular? I thought we lived in the U.S.!

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick W

And George ZImmerman was expressing his reight to protect himself

April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. mr

remember when freedom of speech used to be accepted and even...encouraged?

April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mike Lake Orion Michigan

One word. Uneducated!

April 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. sbp

TerryMoore: his First Amendment rights have been completely protected. Unless you're telling me the Marlins are the government.

April 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. Saint_John

So much for freedom of speech...

April 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank S

For the 5 millionth time –

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from criticism for what you say. Guillen would have been jailed otherwise.

Now stop with the "OH NO OUR FREEDOMS!!111" histrionics.

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |