April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. John

Castro, and Cuba at least has a better health care system for those who can't afford it. Also, they have a higher literacy rate than we have in our own country. Its like a poltican can't speak bad about Iseral because you'll lose the support and money from that group, just like in Flordia you can't be positive at all of Castro. It ok for Cubans to flee their country come to America and stay, yet Mexico which is as bad or even worst people come across the boarder we send them back because our government is friends with Mexico and not Cuba or Castro. The Cuban embargo we have hasn't made the lives of Cubans any better.

April 10, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • East of Eden

Great point.

April 10, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. sbp

Bob Mayberry, do you think you could get a job as Press Secretary for the Republican National Committee and then publicly support the Democrats without getting fired?

It seems 90% of you have no idea what the Bill of Rights means.

April 10, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Oz

wow, what happened to free speech? Or is it acceptable speech

April 10, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • East of Eden

touche

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • syed ahmed

IF MARLIN FIRED OZIEE G WHAT HAPPEN TO FIRST AMMENT RIGHT ,I HOPE THEY FIRED OZZIE WILL SEE HOW MUCH THEY COUGH UP AFTER BIGGEST LAW SUIT IN SPORTS HISTORY

April 10, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. army medic

how in the world can this be possible....it is not a violation of the 1st ammendment because the GOV is not involved..it is however and encroachment on his civil liberties and the Marlins organization should be ashamed ...not saying what he said was right, however individuals like myself and many many before me have worked our asses off giving him the right to say what he feels without persecution..i am deeply saddened by the lynch mob that seems to be attackin a "man" not a God of leader or nations a "man" for sharing an opinion

April 10, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jungle Mentality

I thought all of south Florida supported Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Raxtich

Wow. Just, wow. This is what we have become as a country?

April 10, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. BigSir

The US version of 100 lashes...

April 10, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. stan

Free speech?!? Oh my, how far the usa has fallen!

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. jorgesedano

Bye bye our good friend Ozzie Guilllen

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. syed ahmed

I BELIVED HE HAS RIGHT TO EXPLAIN TO HIM SELF ,HOW HE LIKE HE DON,T LIKE ,SPORT SHOULD PLAY LIKE A GAME STAY AWAY FROM POLITICS ,IS CUBAN WHY THEY ALLOW HIM TO DO WHAT WE HAVE TO WHAT WAS HE DOING

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. JoePub

This suspension is way over the top.

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. ARALE NORIMAKI

Welcome to the American dream–
    a billionaire using public funds
    to construct
    a private playground
    for the rich and powerful.

David Samson told a local business council that he thinks Miamians
    are stupid. Samson talked with WSVN to clarify his remarks. Don't worry
    guys, he doesn't think Miamians are especially stupid. He wants to
    clarify that he thinks Americans are just stupid and lazy in general

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Aaron

Seems pretty dumb. People are taking this far too seriously, and if they actually read what he said it wasn't that bad. He didn't say he respected the way Castro ruled or how he lead the country, just the FACT that he was able to stay in power for 60 years with so much going against him. It is possible to have respect for people you dislike. Marlins should have just ignored the idiots protesting to get him fired and focused on baseball. It was dumb for him to say in the town he was in, but the people there are just as dumb.

April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bleedingheart

Many years ago I was taking a tour in the Dominican Republic, our guide said "We have freedom of speech, you can say anything you want." On every third or fourth corner there was a jeep with a machine gun mounted on it. My thought was "maybe, but I wouldn't say it to loud." It's coming soon to the USA.

April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. eastcoast Mike

I'm amazed that so few of the posters on this page understand what Freedom of Speech means....He is free to say whatever he wants without fear of incarceration. That doesn't mean he can't be fired for saying something derogatory.

April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Actually that's exactly what free speech means, you can express an opinion without fear of retribution. Maybe you should move to China and see how they define free speech!

April 10, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • eastcoast Mike

Jim...WRONG. It doesn't say retribution. Incarceration means to be locked up..... Punished by the state.
      Go tell your boss or your customers to F-off and see how long you keep your job.

April 10, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • manuel

As a Cuban American that left that hell hole called "Castro's Cuba" I am amused by Mr. Guillen's remarks. He joins a whole slew of misinformed, gullible people like Oliver Stone who praise the thug Cuban regime while not having to live there. Mr. Guillen should not be suspended for his opinions. This action is petty and gives the irrelevant Castro more publicity.

April 10, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

Agreed, Mike. However, I haven't seen anything he said that could reasonably be construed as derogatory, unless you count him calling Castro an SOB. He stated that he admired a specific quality in Castro. Any person who can accomplish what Castro did must have some positive or admirable qualities. No doubt Hitler had some too, or he wouldn't have come so close to conquering Europe. Admitting that you admire a positive quality of a bad person doesn't mean you condone the bad things they may have done. That's overly PC folk wanting to punish him for their own inferences. Grow up, people. No one was harmed in the making of this big mouth's poorly thought out statement.

April 10, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • G.T.

Thank You Brother, the freedom of speech is no longer free in America! The statement Ozzie made was his and his alone, we can disagree with what he said, but he should'nt be punished for what he said, in other words, watch the words you speak, because you don't know which ones you may have to eat!

April 10, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |