April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. SMU

To summarize his retraction, 'Please don't kick me out of the country. I know I'd be selling fruit on the sidewalk if it wasn't for the US'.

April 10, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. vinautomatic

Blown way out of proportion. Really stupid that he gets suspended for nothing.

April 10, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. What?

Ozzie, why are you apologizing, that is such BS!!! Don't apologize for speaking your mind, as far as I know, you are still allowed to do that (to some extent) in America.

April 10, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Brian

What gets lost in translation when a local story goes national? I'm not native to South Florida but have lived here for seven years now. There are a few things that EVERYONE in South Florida can rally around and that's the hatred towards Castro and his dictatorship. If the manager of a toy company stated that pedophilia was cool, there would be a backlash from the consumers and either the company would fail or the manager fired. The Marlins are trying to re-brand themselves and this is not what they had in mine. With out apologies and some sort of slap on the wrist, the team stands to lose their fan base or in other words, their consumers.

April 10, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Well what I find disgusting about your statement is a lot of people died providing him the freedom to speak his mind, and that he was made to retract his statement because a few people were upset over his comments and the Team management was afraid to stand up for freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Phillip Bunn

WEll . . . . . .I guess to hell with free speach. The fact is Castro has representated Cuba much better than our gambling/resort monoplies of the 1950's, but then again, America didn't make any "real" money with Castro at the helm, and that is what's it's all about: Nothing but f–kin' money!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. SUE

It is a shame when in a free society you can be removed from your job for voicing an opinion there was nothing wrong in what he said.

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. What?

THE MARLINS SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!!!!!!! IF someone was offended, TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Roseann

This use to be a free country – – – I may not like what someone says, but I will defend their right to say it.

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Tad Pole

Yeah.. I totally agree.. What have we become?

April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

Freedom of speech ?

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. godsturn

Don't we have free speech in this country?

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • bill

Sure we do, but even though he may not face civil or criminal prosecution for his supidity for sharing his comments with the rest of America, he will be tried in the court of public opinion. And the public has a right to be angry at his comments and to act against the Marlins for employing this fool. The 1st Amendment protects your right to say it but that doesn't mean that you should or that the greater public is going to support or agree with you.

April 10, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. bill

Is this guy really a good manager and/or a great baseball mind?? I just can't believe he has the talent or skills that can overcome his apparent stupidity, which seems to be pervasive.

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. Is this America or what?

The only mistake Guillen made was in apologizing and not suing the Marlins. His original comments about Castro were spot on.

April 10, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. jdoe

No big deal. They'll reinstate him after a couple of games.

April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Jacob Fier

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Jacob Fier

Lets fight for democracy in the mid-east because the people do not have freedom of speech. We love America, the only democratic country in the world. Sorry! I forgot to mention Israel. Children, please do not throw stones at the neighbour's house. Thank you. I RESPECT PRESIDENT obama

April 10, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Andrew

Did you see the huge protest in Miami? No? Probably because it was just 10 strong and those 10 living in Cuba for 30 years before Castro took over in the 70's.

April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

70's ? . . .History not your strong point ?, if your going to comment at least get your facts straight.

April 10, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. richard

He should stand his ground. Other players take drugs, including performance-enhancing substances, get in bar fights, shoot guns and have less sanctions than Guillen. Castro isn't the problem–the U.S. embargo is the problem! Free Cuba! Let's go get some cigars...

April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |