April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. rickwh

This is not a freedom of speech thing. Those protections only apply to the government limiting speech not non-government organizations. As far as Castro goes- I myself truly admire the guy. He's survived every attempt on his life and outlived all his enemies. You can't help but admire that. As far as the Cubans in America go – quit your whining. Most of you never lived in Cuba and those who did are too old to remember much. Personally I can't even understand how you became the voting block that you did. You've embraced the embargo for 50 years in effect making it so much harder for those still living in Cuba. Have you ever considered that you moronic fools?

April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • words matter

Words matter. The Marlins have every right to discipline an employee who doesn't represent them in the way they see fit.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Political Correctness run wild

Heaven forbid the man should actually say what he thinks. Make one think we're in a police state where you have to watch what you say in public. Just saying....

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kareen

I respect Castro too and said so many times, but I never was suspended or fired for it. OOPS, I don't live in the USA

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. think100

wait, why was he suspended? he did nothing wrong. nothing.

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. iamdeadlyserious

Hold on.

You can get suspended from playing sports for stating an opinion publicly? Really?

I mean, if this had been some form of hate speech, I'd kind of understand. But for such an innocuous statement? Do we really have nothing better to do?

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Grameez

This is a ridiculous example of not only political "correctness" but a miserable foreign policy. We trade with and give aid to countries that are much more serious threats to our way of life then Cuba and Fidel Castro. Does anyone but the Florida "ex-Cubans" really believe this is an effective position for our country to take??? Punishing Ozzie Guillen for his opinion is just wrong! And, I'm a grandmother who grew up in Miami and remember when the primary language there was English.

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Emad Milad

I can not believe that this is happening in the United Staes the Beacon of Democracy in the world. What happened to freedom of speech and democracy !! What a shame !!

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Doug Casner

This is just another case of Political-BS taking president over freedom of speech. So the guy is amazed that Castro has lasted 60 years. So what! So am I. Quick, think of any leader of any country who has lasted that long. Buzzz. Sorry, time's up. Now give the guy his money back and let him get back to running a baseball team. What's more American than that?

April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • yuri pelham

This is no longer America. We have let the fascists take over. Canada is the place to go.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. DeeDee

Gotta love that American freedom of speech. What hypocrites!

April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. BRIAN DALY

I GUESS FREEDOM OF SPEECH HAS BEEN REVOKED IN THIS COUNTRY !!!1

April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ed

Good to see that freedom of speech and freedom of opinion are no longer in play in America. We don't have to agree with somebody's opinion, but punishing him for having one? MLB and the Marlins should be ashamed.

April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Delif

Apparently the 1st amendment doesn't apply to naturalized citizens!

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Delif

I love it. We complain when they give us the standard company line in post game interviews, and we complain when they say something we may not agree with. Make up your mind America. You can't have it both ways!

April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dave Kovalak

This is nothing new for Ozzie Guillen. He is a dolt.

April 10, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  14. Fidel is no worse than the GOP

Suspended because Guillen expressed his opinion that is politically opposite of US policy and the Cuban community? It's 9/11 all over again. So much for free speech.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Meicho

Apples & oranges – expressing yourself is one thing but offending an entire group of people is another.

April 10, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • David

So he gets punished for engaging in free speech?!? In the US? Really?!? The real communists live in South Florida and within the Marlins organization, Guillen is now a 5-game political prisoner of this speech tyranny.

April 10, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Williams

"""Cuban-Americans have nothing to do with it, our country's hatred of communism is to blame for that one boss."""

True, we went down the McCarthy communism paranoia road. But Cuban Americans have perpetuated the problem ever since.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |