April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. fearlessdude

Castro has fought and defeated the CIA installed dictator Batista. Castro turned to the Soviets only after he was refused aid by Eisenhower. The embargo – on the urging of the Hispanics in Miami – is a racist thing. The Cuban blacks are being punished by the colonialist USA. What right do we have to impose an embargo? The right of bigger guns? Nice going.

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. dallas

No worries Ozzie, they will all be dead soon, those expatriates cubans and Castro! The expatriate cubans have grandfathered and keep championing one of the stupidest foreign policy positions in the history of the US, SMH

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. esfdvdcv

Oh, I thought the U.S had freedom of speech in their constiution.

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • mr. kennedy

That doesn't mean he has free speech in his contract. The US Govt isn't persecuting him, his privately owned sports team is.

April 10, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

If he said it anywhere but Miami, it would have been considered as exercising his first amendment rights.

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. sbp

Ah, heavyhand, having no understanding of the Bill of Rights but blathering on about it anyway.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. Animenut

If this isn't an example of extortion censorship, I don't know what would be. A private citizen makes a harmless comment and is somehow forced to apologize. Must be big money or power talking in the anti-Castro Cuban population.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. JEFRY MAIRENA

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN THIS COUNTRY? ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO SUSPEND HIM FOR A COMMENT? WOW. THE ONE'S THAT SHOULD BE PUNISHED ARE THOSE WHO ARE MAKING THIS ISSUE BIGGER THEN IT IS. THOSE NETWORKS MAKING IT MORE OF A POLITICAL ISSUE THEN A SPORTS ISSUE.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. lolz

You tools realize the cubans are in arms over his remarks right? "Stupid Americans" indeed. Glad that it's clarified that Cuba is a US territory.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Larry L

This really isn't about free speech – even if it seems related to politics. It's about ticket sales and corporate profits. If the Marlins were a beer company selling a brand of beer favored by a particular demographic and one of the executives made a derogatory remark about that population (potentially causing significant loss in sales) it seems reasonable that he should be disciplined or even fired. How is this different? After reading the article I think Mr. Guillen should spend the time visiting an alcohol rehab facility. That might be the heart of the problem.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. McShannon

I'll be damned I don't agree with what he said but I will stand by him for his right to say it without condemnation.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Samuel

The real story should be the vanishing right of Americans to speak their minds. This is absolutely frightening to me.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Raoul

So the guy has an opinion about a foreign leader..Who cares?

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bob

So I guess it's the right to free "popular" speech now.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ddog

What happen to freedom of speech? Cuba has over a 90% literacy rate. We are rife with violence domestic ...more handgun killings than anywhere else in the world....illegal and legal drugs. I love this country USA but we got a ton of our own problems... We are still made because Castro kicked us out and thumbed his nose at us and survived.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. allison

Why should he be suspended for his right to free speech? While most of us Americans may not agree to what he said and rail against his opinion, we all have the right to free speech in America. There has been a lot of this going on, where some big shot says something we don't agree with and we demand apologies and punishments. Let them hang themselves if they want to, but we have no right to make them apologize for how they really feel.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |