April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. LOL

This Guillen guy is a typical coward. stick to your guns, if you have the balls to make a statement don't go back on your word, typical venezuelan coward.

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rocktour

America? A democracy? Seriously?
    I hope this is not the brand of democracy you're trying to export to the world

April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. sam

You know what's worse than suspending him for his opinion? The number of people who have no idea what free speech and the First Amendment are. Please go read it. It does NOT apply to an employer. Last time I checked, the Marlins are not part of the US government so free speech does NOT protect him. It really is so sad to see so many people uneducated about their basic rights.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. FirstAmmendment

Well...so much for the freedom of speech in Florida, Could that state suck anymore...They shoot young black kids and supress any freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Steve Johnson

Who really gives a damn? Freedom of speech. You liberals are awful. And for the Marlins to waste ANY time on this is unAMERICAN. I will not go watch any of their games.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. kingsnake

What a crappy country WE live in when we have to FEAR what we say! A man or woman should have the right to say F Obama or I like Castro! There was once a country I grew up in that had freedom of speech. (With limits like, (Don't yell bomb on a plane) but America is to politically correct and has turned into a bunch of wimps. I know, if you don't like it leave it! What... instead of fighting for what AMerica was now I am told to leave

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. David Crosby

This is pathetic..Free speech and Democracy just took a big hit today..I live in Colorado now and I will make sure to hate right wing Cubans from Florida as much I do gophers and snakes..I also will be tuning out Major League Baseball the rest of the Summer...And Walt Disney World just got cancelled for my kids and grand kids this Summer...

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. Nick

Castro is a dictator who replaced another dictator. It just so happens that the dictator he replaced was propped up by the United States. This is pure hypocrisy.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Raj

This is bizarre. We suspend someone if he praises a dictator? What is the difference between the dictator and our democracy and so called freedom of speech. Again, local politics and appeasing local Cuban is the goal here. But that is sad. This is not a good example for a free democracy. There are lot bigger problems to solve in our country than suspending Ozzie...........

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tommie

really?

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. sbp

Jefry, what happened is it is being protected. No Government censorship means no violation of the First Amendment. Guillen is free to make a stupid comment that hurts his bosses' business, and they are free to fire him because of it. Might not be a good idea, but no free speech issue.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Borque

I'm not sure whether to take these people whining about "freedom of speech" seriously, or there are really that many people trying to troll this story.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • esfdvdcv

What on earth are you talking about? You should be fired from your job for your comment here. Same thing.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Borque

*are there really that many people trying to troll this story.

April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Akim

So, in other words "freedom of speech" is only used where "we like" or if it is "likeable in general" or "acceptable in general" or "funny script on SNL", and it is not acceptable if it is other way around..So, one has to go with the flow. Right?.... what is meaning of "hypocrisy" then?

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. PGelsman

If he loves Fidel so much, why doesn't he go home.

April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • JR

Typical fascist response.

April 10, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • portland tony

Since your inane comment reflects your knowledge.....He's from Venezuela and is a US citizen. Seems to me that we do have freedom of speech here in the US. So what's your complaint?

April 10, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. Akim

What happened to the freedom of speech....

April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. funnybunny

Sounds like they suspended him for having an opinion. Who cares what his opinion is, he has a right to have and EXPRESS his opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |