April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Adil

So much for freedom of speech...

April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. judeamorris

Cuba is a leftist regime??? By whose definition - yours? The Cuban Revolution (since it opposed the status quo) could be characterized as leftist, but ANY dictatorship and loss of personal freedom is far from being left. Your definition of "typical liberal" does not hold, either (and seems to be not only highly misinformed, but ignorant and uneducated). Check out the education level for Tea Party members vs politically visible liberals. It's the far right that is uneducated, unreasoned, lacking in foreign affairs knowledge (let's use Palin as an example), wants to cut social welfare programs that help others, and regularly displays the most ignorant political signs anyone could ever see. This man is no leftist. He's just dumb.

April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. ja

castro's regime is no worse than china's regime, so what is the fuss over, we sell our national debt to them, hypocrisy

April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. sbp

FirstAmendment, DavidCrosby: try reading up on what the First Amendment means.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ed

its horrible that a person in the Us would be in trouble for stating his political views

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. tcp

If you listen to fools...

The mob RULES!...

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rotsoruck

Needs to get fired and shipped off to live in cuba with his buddy Fidel

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Still America

This is AMERICA – Free Speech??? I don't agree with what he said, but I agree he has the right to say it.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

This has nothing about free speech. If you are part of selling a service to a clientel and you anger them such that they might not buy your services, you have the right to fire them.

For example imagine I own a buisness that sells products focused towards African Americans. My buisness manager publicly states that he believes that Jefferson Davis was a great man. Maybe the statement was misconstrued. Maybe it just came out wrong. Regardless of what he really feels about black/white relations I will fire him if I believe it will affect my buisness. He has the right to speak his mind. I have the right to hire the person I think is best for my buisness.

Guillen works in a buisness. As an American he has the right to say what he wants. However, his owners are in the buisness of making money. If Guillen is bad for buisness because Cuban Americans might not want to go to baseball games, then Guillen is no longer useful as the manager.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tundra

So sad, people need to put on their big boy undies and listen to what he said. He respected the fact Castro was still alive with as many enemies as he has. First off he didn't say he respected the way Castro treats people. Even if he did suspending him is so over the top I can;t believe it.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Woody the Cowboy

How many people here supported Rush Limbaugh exercising his freedom of speech on Sandra Fluke? Anybody?

April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

He also said that Charlie Manson is a gruff but lovable, sweet old man.

April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mork

FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN AMERICA?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • veyga

you do understand freedom of speech only keeps you out of jail..........WHEN YOU WORK FOR A PRIVATE COMPANY, YOU DO WHAT THEY SAY SO YOU CAN MAKE MONEY OR YOU GTFO, IF YOU SAY SOMETHING STUPID THEN THEY CAN MAKE YOU GTFO.........understand now?

April 10, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Dude, call me back when the FBI arrest him for what he said.

April 10, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Stingo

The only thing dumber than what Guillen said is some of the comments on this thread. Guillen had the right to say what he said and, as a person employed in a business that relies on the support of the community, the community had the right to say that they did not want a person who had such views serving their needs. You have the right to tell your boss that he is an ass and that his mother is ugly. He or she has the right to fire you. Free speech means that we have the right to say what we think and to pay the social consequences for our opinions.
    That said, what he said was incredibly insensitive and dumb. The Castro brothers have destroyed the country's infrastructure and caused a lot of suffering. I don't know if there will ever be a Free Cuba but it certainly won't happen while they are in command. Guillen should be sorry that he expressed such an insensitive opinion praising such an egocentric and evil man when he works for so many people that suffered at his hands.

April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. sbp

So, Ed, of the head of the Republican Party started giving speeches praising Democrats, do you think he would not get fired because of "free speech?"

April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |