April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. andrea

why did they just not fire him, I wold not want to work with someone like this at all. bet their ticket sales go real bad now..... hurt the team you jerk, why not keep your stupid opinions to yourself. and read a damn book you idiot

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. matty t

He does have freedom of speech, meaning he won't be arrested or thrown in jail by the government. Neither he, nor anyone else enjoys freedom from public reprisal when said speech is deemed offensive.

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JimJ

Amazing how the THUGS of the Miami Cuban community wield their corrupt political power, and squelch free speech. This is the same sleazy political group that will make sure George Zimmerman will never see the inside of a jail for the murder he committed, because he's Cuban American!

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • $$$

He's actually an American American. His mother was born in Columbia. But hey, you're on a roll. Don't let little things like facts stop you.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mork

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. musings

Recanting over speaking the truth? I guess the Spanish Inquisition is back in town.

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leo

Go USSA! The odd statement could have been questioned by the media/baseball/public and likely would have been a good opportunity to learn or review some history, but instead we don't allow different view points. This kind of thing makes us look bad on the world stage too.

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • $$$

Go USSA? The United States Softball Association? Are you a lesbian?

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sbp

Sure, SOPA, the FLORIDA MARLINS ARE COMING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR RIGHTS!!!!

This isn't the government, it's a private company.

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Zil Zerimar

Only suspension? This LOUD MOUTH AS...LE should be banned for life!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MJL

@Sharkfisher –

AGREED

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Keith

I respect Fidel Castro! This is like firing someone because they are republican or democrate!

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Carlos

Try having a KKK gathering at work and let's see how well goes!

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith

Fidel is a leader of a country..................Rich people are angry he took their money .... welcome to what happens to the poor .... beating and torture!

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeInNebraska

But it's ok to have the Black Panthers come to a rally?

April 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sbp

Do you really want to know WHAT HAPPENED TO FREE SPEECH?

NONE OF YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS, AND YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO READ THE 400 POSTS EXPLAINING IT. OR TRY GOOGLING FIRST AMENDMENT.

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve in Mentor, OH

Between him calling Castro an SOB and his muddied english translation, its appears to me that this whole thing is overblown.

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marth

We can be punished for our political views? This from a leage that has closed its eyes to illegal "enhancing" drugs. Nice.

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JR

We are nothing more than Serfs serving our Feudal masters, even to this day.

April 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |