April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. remember

man up and stand by what you say!

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. darknessincomplexity

This is about business. The Marlins are a for profit business and most of their consumers don't like Castro. Do you not understand why the Marlins are trying to get on top of this? This has nothing to do with sincerity or your God forsaken freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimJ

So support the bigoted and racist thugs of Miami's Cuban community, and disrespect everyone else, right?

April 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JimJ

You can thank Miami's loud mouthed Cuban thugs for that!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stephen Flannery

Not sure why this is a baseball issue. As big a dope as he is, the key to this country's greatness is the allowance of people to say what they feel. Baseball should stay out of it. His Miami neighbors will manage it effectively.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Larry

Does anyone other than me find this to be flat out stupid? I have to respect the fact that Castro has survived for all these years, even if he is a bloody dictator that should have been taken out the day he came out of the mountains in the late '50s, but that's 20-20 hindsight.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rickp530

Freedom of speach is quickly becoming a right of the past.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. POST

I dont like Fidel either but this is the USA. I love the USA because we are supposed to be tolerant of diverse opinions and respect free speech. It also seems like he respected Castro's ability to survive as a leader for 60 years. Like admiring a predator shark species for surviving 60 million years.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pat Wright

I don't understand this. I really doubt his contract forbids his freedom of speech. Why is he being suspended? We are not at war with Cuba. I hope he sues the crap out of the Marlins for attempting to stifle his basic American right of free speech. Now if the fans want to show up outside the stadium and protest his statements or boycott a few games that would be an appropriate response.

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bob martin

what the hell happened to free speech. so fidel is his hero so what he's mine too. i've been to cuba many times and just loved it. never met fidel but would love too maybe on my next trip. we don't have any heroes in the us. i cosider the bush's and reagan the worst type of people. ozzie you don't need to apologize to anyone. sue the right wing marlins for everything they have. better yet go where your appreciated. in san francisco we love fidel.

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Blanco

What, we think we can say what we want and mean what we say? We can't even agreed to disagree instead we turn on each other. We forgotten how to be human. If you care, you listen, you hear and you take it all in. Then and only then can we make a choice. But as our leaders have for way to long have showen us, we can't agree on anything. Our very decline is on a fast pass is based on this fact.

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ObjectiveGuy

Makes me happy to know that, as a Chicagoan, Ozzie is now YOUR issue, not OURS. Enjoy!

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chuck

Castro is a much better leader than the extremely corrupt Batista ever was. Where did the Mafia play back then? Life expectancy, education, and living conditions all got better under Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • r u serious ?

spend some time in Cuba ...then give us ur grand assessment.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. r u serious ?

We latin americans dont care for Cubans ....cause they never care about anyone else outside their right wing cuban bubble.
    Back to baseball ........GO METS!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carlitos

But, hermano... The so called Cubans in Miami are NOT Cubanos. They are nothing but a bunch of right wing fascist refugees without a country to call their own. Their fathers left Cuba when they were no longer allowed to exploit the peasants and gave up their right to be called Cubanos. Cuba para los Cubanos. Viva Cuba Libre!

April 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. larrydavid

If this dude made the same comments about George W. Bush, he should be suspended. The only difference is that the vast majority of you would be silent. This is not a free speech issue.

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

No one should be suspended from expressing their political views. Perhaps it's not the best forum at a baseball press conference, but suspension for speaking your mind goes against our freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mario

What happened to freedom of speech, when did it became a crime to voice an opinion in America. This isn't how we do business in America.The suspension of Ozzie Guillen by the Marlins administration looks like something you'll see in Cuba not in America. I support Ozzie Guillen, and those who stand for FREEDOM OF SPEECH should voice there support for the Marlins Manager Ozzie Guillen

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |