April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Ben James

The living standard in Cuba is far better than when ruled by the USA. Read your history if you don't believe.

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Uncle Sam's wierd cousin

Nothing says USA more than Freedom and Baseball .... except apparently the freedom of opinion part.

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matt

One of the key things that differentiates the United States from Cuba is that people are allowed to say things, even controversial things, without being punished. Those who would impose a punishment on Ozzie Guillen for speaking words have something to learn about why we are different than Castro's Cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

Guillen may have made a stupid comment, but last I knew we still had free speech in this country. Good thing the Marlins management isn't in charge of the U.S. I'd have been thrown in jail for my criticism of our government!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Freedom of speech? Sure, but if he is honest, why he doesn't go to play for Castro , $100/month!!
    Be free there , Baseball, very low class....

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Linney

Really? I thougt I had misread the headline! Why should anyone apologize for an opinion? And to be suspended? That's so out of line it's sick.

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. $$$

Sorry to burst your bubble, but small group of powerful people all over this country dictate all American policy. Greed is good!

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Greg Walton

Why should this player apologize? For speaking the truth? Sorry, but it IS amazing that Castro has been in power this long. It IS amazing the U.S. Government has had its butt kicked by this guy for 60 years. Whether you like what was done or not, it IS amazing for any one man to start with 12 disciples and take over an entire country within two years. Let's see YOU do that. I find it moronic to tell this player his opinion is wrong. Athletes have been used in "politics "since the beggining of time, to push anything from shave cream to vouching for political candidates. I'll end with ......... Really??

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. GB

Ozzie should have not publicized his personal opinions about Castro; especially since It is a such a sensitive issue with the Cuban community and that such opinons cause so much distress. However, we are NOT in Cuba and free speech is a RIGHT in the United States (1st Amendment), so on that ground, he has a right to express his opinion whether the Cuban community in Miami or anywhere else in the continental United States agrees or not. Now, as a PRIVATE company and in the best interests of organization, the Marlins have a RIGHT to discipline him as they see fit If his comments will hurt future ticket sales, attendance, community support and overall revenue.

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • sammy sozo

He's lucky to still have a job.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wally

So much for "so-called free speech"....The U.S. is a police state at best...you must have the OK from the government to travel some places...you can speak but it must agree with the powers to be...why not start drafting people.....the only right this poor country has is to walk around with guns like the 1880's and shoot it up! They talk a good game but as far as freedoms they are one step away from dictatorship.!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • muller

We need to stop talking about free speech and liberty. It is real dictatorship that is solely taking place in The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA right now.

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • reggis

What are you talking about!!!! While I agree this country has gotten to PC, it was his BOSS not the federal government that suspended him.

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lincoln

REGISS what is the difference??? Do we have free speach or not. Or is it ok if the corporations dictate to you instead of your governmen?????. sheesh

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • AB

Every time a public figure someone says something stupid and is criticized, people bring up "Freedom of Speech". An employer suspending or firing an employee for saying something stupid has nothing at all to do with "Freedom of Speech". We're not talking about the rule of law here, this is just an employee being repremanded for saying something very stupid. People are fired everyday for much less. Big deal.

April 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tonyb

How foolish- politically correct claptrap. The USA was stupid in the late 1950's in not bringing Castro into the sphere as an ally- he's no worse than the countless dictators the USA has embraced over the years and probably better than most.

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lincoln

actually Tony he is different than the ones our Govt, embraced because he wasnt placed there in power in place of an elected govt. which we tended to do and he wasnt murderous like they type we seemed to support. And he wasnt in it for his own enrichment and a puppet for big business. but you are right he should have been more included that pushed away, but the businesses that run this country today wanted to run his as well and so "they" wouldnt allow inclusion, via paid off politicians ie helms.

April 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dan H

Give me a break, they have no right to suspend him. The real reason Cuba has been kept poor is by the U.S. embargo, otherwise Cuba would be a prime tourist destination for Americans. America has zero right to impose our government on other countries. Additionally, Ozzie has every right to express an opinion, this isn't Nazi Germany.

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lincoln

Land of the free!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .You will not speak your mind in this country. no sireeee, not if we dont agreeeee. I can almost here the muffled bleating of the sheep, when you are not allowed to say what you want. Its coming just as surely as it came to the fellow. If we dont come to his defence then freedom for all is dead.

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. joey

viva la stupid

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ty

That's crazy, how can people harp so much about free speech, but when someone says something we don't agree with there's a problem?

April 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |