April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Rosa Birmingham, AL

Seriously? What do his remarks have to do with baseball. Who cares what he thinks about Castro? I thought we were allowed to think whatever we want as long as we do our jobs well.

April 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ChillOutMiami

So every time someone says something that others don't agree with, it's cause for job suspension/termination. Wow..who knew?!?! The unemployment lines are about to get A LOT longer.

It's OK to have an opinion and voice that opinion, even if others don't like it. That's what America is all about.

April 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • martin

@chillourmiami- yes you can have free speach, but it doesnt mean you dont face consequences when you say things. come on man, you know this. Sure, you can tell your boss to $uck off, but you will most likely get fired

April 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brian

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech. No government is punishing Ozzie Guillen. This is business. He is being punished by his employer who just built a new ballpark in the Little Havana section Miami and is trying to build a fan base. What Guillen said offended every Cuban living in Miami who are customers of the Miami Marlins. If I am insensitive to or insult my customers, I will get fired. And so will you. Go ahead, try it.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles Hilton

So, you're saying that our freedom of speech should be subordinate to the whims of money? Then we have no freedom of speech. If the government can't censor us, then our bosses shouldn't have that right, either. And those Cuban's, having come from a repressive regime, should be more tolerant of other people expressing their views. Otherwise, they're no better than Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. STEVE

I guess freedom of speech is dead, huh?

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Trailer Trash Florida

Florida: The Land of Red_Necks and the Home of FEMA Relief.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • $$$

And idiots like you who come here to vacation!

April 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • i love miami

I better not see your ass getting a sun tan in Key West or taking your kids to Disney...another hater...lol

April 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. martin

TO ALL those who wonder where free speach has gone-think of this-We have free speach, but that doesnt mean you dont face consequences if you say something. Wew can have free speach at your job too and tell your boss to $uck off, but you will probably get fired! Keep in mind that in his contract he is to represent the team in a positive manner on & off the field. It was expected to see him be suspended to say the least

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hemplover

Castro's "rule" has protected a coral reef and other natural areas that would have long ago been trashed by American tourists if the embargo had been lifted. Cubans practice sustainable fishing and love their wild places. I used to be all for lifting the embargo. Now I think it would be a poison apple for them.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trailer Trash Florida

Hmmmmm... insightful.

April 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dalewalk

When you live your life drinking every day, you turn angry. Ozzie has been expressing his anger in many hostile ways towards fans, umpires, players, the general public, and he's gotten away with it... up til now. Now he has crossed the inevitable line that drunks eventually do and has thoroughly humiliated himself and all of the Cubans living in the U.S. It's all about alcoholism and Ozzie is only one of many public figures who has embarrassed themselves under the influence; e.g., Joe Namath, Jeff Overton, DeShawn Stevenson, John Daly, Ben Rothlesberger, and on an on. Ozzie is contrite only because he realizes now how everyone will look at him from now on. Not just a belligerent smart baseball mind, but a dangerously stupid and hurtful human being. I don't know how he'll ever weather this one out. He's gone.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Allen

First off guys, the MLB did not suspend him... The Marlins did. Second, I believe his apology is sincere and not coerced... Ozzie doesn't get coerced.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ed

He just stated his views, you don't have to agree with them. The Marlins really don't care because this has no effect on playing baseball but it is a public relations nightmare being in Miami so they are just rying to keep the Cuban-American fans/residents happy and calm with a suspension. Guillen should have been more sensitive to the community that he plays in.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles Hilton

The Cuban community-having come from a repressive society-should have been more accepting of a person's opinions, regardless of content. After all, isn't freedom of speech one of the benefits they came here for?

April 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Trebek

Miami, New Orleans, Washington D.C.....top 3 cities containing the worst America has to offer

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • $$$

Wow! Very insightful of you. Please expound on your statement. I'm curious as to why you chose those three cities.

April 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Doug Ericson

The Church doesn't like communism.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leucadia Bob

What does that have to do with it? Are you saying the Church controls the media in Miami? Sad.

April 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • $$$

No this was a coded message that only a few can decipher. I am sworn to secrecy, but I can say it has something to do with sarcasm.

April 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Charles Hilton

Those Miami Cubans disappoint me and I have lost all respect for them. They come to America for our alleged freedoms, among which is freedom of speech, and the moment they hear something they don't agree with, they want to censor it.
    If that's the way they are, then they should have stayed in Cuba, for they are no better than Castro.
    On the other hand, their self-righteous hypocrisy fits them well for life in the so-called "land of the free".

April 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe in Miami

If I didn't live in Miami, I'd agree with you.

April 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Armando

Come on man, I'm Cuban and I dont want you to hate me

April 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • $$$

No they came to America because they were forced out of their country and their only other choice was Haiti or the Dominican Republic.

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • CubanAmerican

I am Cuban born and I agree.....Everyone has the freedom to say what they want even if we do not agree with what they say or do....who are we to judge. I wish people would just take the stick out of their rear and live and let live.

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. No one has censored his speech.He has not been sent to jail for his views, which would have happened in Cuba. It's just that the Cuban community in Miami will boycott the Marlin games if they do not take any actions. They are exercising their rights to take actions for his comments, but they have not censored him.

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ddog

Truth be told....Money is why they are suspending him and money is why he's saying he's sorry.. Sad state of affairs..GREED

April 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • martin

@Ddog- i dont know where you get your facts from, but money is NOT why he was suspened. It was to please the fans and keep them happy. Also, apologizing wasnt for money, it was a public relations matter. I think your comment was a little to generalized.

April 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Astrogal

If you don't live in Miami, you have NO IDEA how much the politics of Cuba infiltrates daily life here, and the media. The world could be ending, but the local news on Univision and Telemundo will still cover Castro taking a dump as the top story. To say you support Castro here is tantamount to treason, rightly or wrongly but that's just the way it is. Not surprising this happened.

April 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |