April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. haankzmith

And Rush is still on the Air!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Libs!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark

Please click on my name to donate. Stop the persecution.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Barney

Um, last time I checked, we live in America and you can pretty much say whatever you want. For them to suspend him for saying something so benign is ridiculous. That's exactly the type of thing Castro would do to someone if they spoke on something in a way he didn't like. The irony. America, c'mon...let's go!

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. words matter

Marlins have every right to discipline him not only because of what he said, but because what he said is going to affect fans coming to the game. Sure, Ozzie as a person has a right to say whatever he wants and the Marlins as his employer also have every right to fire him for that speech.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusyQ

Okay, I see your point now. This will affect the Marlins' business. It makes sense to me now. Sorry, I was just curious.

April 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SusyQ

Sorry but I still don't get it. I can see why the Cubans in Florida may not like his comments but why would his employer suspend him for 5 games? I guess you can't be in basebal and have an opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Morbus

Yes, Martin, free speech DOES mean no consequences. If speech is punished, it has a chilling effect, meaning people will not speak. It's ridiculous to punish this player or anyone else for stating an opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • It may be hopeless still yet

Maybe we should use puppets and crayons so that you'd understand. ANYBODY – got puppets and crayons???

April 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LarryB

Well, it's not as if this is a free country or anything. Say something unpopular about a subject unrelated to your occupation, and your employer can suspended you for it. Freedom of speech applies only if what you spout is politically correct.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • CP in FL

LarryB – actually freedom of speech only applies to the government not being able to arrest a citizen for speaking. It does not apply to a private business. It would be like me calling my boss a jack@ss and then expecting protection from the freedom of speech to keep me from being fired. It does not work that way.

April 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JiminNM

He has a right to express his opinion about Castro and should sue the Marlins.

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drumming up some business?

You're a dirtbag lawyer, right?

April 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • CP in FL

JiminNM – Guillen has the right to express his opinion and the Marlins have the right to suspend or fire him. Guillen is not protected in any way from losing his job by the freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PumpNDump

baseball been berry berry good to me. Guillen is an idiot.

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pat

I said "WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH?" This is America not CUBA!!!!!! I can't believe Miami residents are soooooo prodigious.

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

He is not a private citizen making a comment; his salery is subsidized by the citizens taxpayers of Miami; additionally he represents an organization that is the Face of this city thus he has to answer to them... very simple.

April 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • tonyinlargo

Oh!, that's right. I'm glad he spoke-up, because, now I know that he believes in what Castro stands for (communism), which is not what I believe. You're right, EVERYONE has freedom of speech, and I exercise my freedom of speech and say: OZZIE GUILLEN is an IDIOT and an uneducated drunk anachronism who hasn't woken-up to the fact that ruthless outright dictatorships, not communism (both bad, no matter how you look at them), rule in Russia and China today.

April 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. daniel

Remember in this new America you are not allowed to have opinions that are unpopular.

April 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • $$$

Arrest this man!

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

sad but true..

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tonyinlargo

Good. Ozzie Guillen must be an idiot. Castro's brand of equality is that of "equality of impoverishment for all". I was a sideline fan of Ozzie Guillen, until now. If he likes Castro so much, he should return to Cuba where moron Castro banned "stealing" bases in the game of baseball early in his "career".

He shouldn't be suspended by the Marlins. He should be fired outright!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. WheresFreedom

I don't understand it. He didn't say he agrees with the way he has ruled. Just that he respects him for surviving although he was often the target of assasination. He has fully explained and the explanation is believable. What is the problem?

April 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • n22s

He is Hitler to the Cuban people. What's the big deal? What would you think of anyone who admired Hitler for surviving assasinations against him? You believe in cultural sensitivity? How can you not know of what he has done to the Cuban people? LOL – they have universal medicine. Go there genius. Oh, they also have firing squads, political prisons, torture, etc. Enjoy your vacation.

April 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BobZemko

This morning, Ozzie was quoted as saying that Hitler was "misunderstood."

April 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • i love miami

No that he use to be part of the KKK but he had a change of heart...

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DC Clark

If it was any other city but Miami this wouldn't be a story. Cubans took over Miami decades ago, and now they are butt hurt again

April 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |