April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. miamivic

If it weren't for Overtown, Liberty City and Carol City, Miami would actually be a nice, clean city.

April 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Devosays

this guy is perhaps the epitome of the liberal mind, diseased and stupid

April 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

Agreed. Way to cave to (ridiculous) public opinion, Marlins. You stupid basterds.

April 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. hammer

As someone who has never lived in Cuba or has any relatives there I will leave it for them to judge.

April 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sam

Please stop crying about freedom of speech and the First Amendment. It does NOT apply to your employer. Please go read it. Please?

April 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • GGG

So employed people are not allowed free speech outside of their workplace? Please don't tell me that everyone who has sacrificed to protect our freedom from governments would gladly give up that freedom to corporations. I am sick and tired of Americans being fired or fined or threatened because of what they said. Freedom must include the right to say things that many find dumb or unpopular.

April 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. $$$

Let's see... a drunk who has strong opinions? Who'd have thunk!

April 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. George Marshall

He should sue the Marlin's for suspending him for exercising his freedom of speech. I'm no lawyer but this appears to be a clear legal violation.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

Is this REALLY news worthy? Seriously? For every person complaining about what Ozzie Guillen said, I have a little challenge for you. Turn over 10 random products in your house and look at the "Made IN" label. I bet at least half of the...m say made in China. If this is true please shut the hell up about Ozzie and his opinion. China is a far more repressive government than Cuba. So, you are basically being a HYPOCRITE if you have products made in China and whine about Ozzie respecting Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Elliot

Miami is an armpit. The only people that like it there are tools, db@gs and Cubans. Never seen so much disrespect from people anywhere in the world and complete lack of work ethic.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • i love miami

Don't be such a hater you know you just love our beaches and the food and let's not forget DISNEY WORLD...

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in NYC

Uuuuhhhhh..... Sorry "i love miami" but if I'm not mistaken DisneyWorld is in Lake Buena Vista NOT Miami?! 😉 ºoº

April 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elliot

The food doesn't matter when the people serving it don't even want to give you the time of day becuase your some white bread that doesn't speak spanish.

April 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. alwaysdem

Land of the free, home of the brave.
    Not.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • devo

Outraegeous! If someone loves Fidel what would that have to do with baseball! Shame on you Marlins!!! You are anti-American!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. zma1013

What the hell does a Castro comment have to do with baseball??? Why is this guy sitting out 5 games for something that has nothing to do with baseball? I don't care if he said that Hitler was a nice guy, that doesn't relate to baseball at all or his job managing the team at all.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • DrTDWood

Exactly! Just shows how powerful the Cuban-American community of Miami is and how little they actually care about free speech if it does not endorse their point of view. My ancestors who've fought for this freedom since the Revolution are rolling in their graves.

April 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freedomdem

so let me get this straight. the usa does not like cuba because they don't allow freedom of speech. so he gets suspended in the usa for using freedom of speech by saying he like another president. hmmmmmm i guess you are allowed freedom of speech as long as it is in agreement with 'the man'.

April 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tom O'Hagan

What happened to Freedom of Speech. The teams management should be suspended for civil rights violations.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evan

I agree what the heck is the media doing NOT supporting the freedom of speech, this country is in trouble. I don't care what he thinks about Castro, good that he spoke his mind.

April 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • devo

you are abolutely correct. This is crazy, our country is about freedom. To top it off his comments were very low key.

April 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Hernan

Talk about irony. The reason most Cubans came to the US was to enjoy the many basic freedoms we take for granted, including freedom of speech. I think the Marlins are basically getting ahead of the curve to avoid any kind of local backlash or boycott. So it would seem that a different set of principles is at play here. $$

April 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. April

What ever happened to free speech?!?!

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. miamivic

Too bad the stadium was built right down the street from Elian Gonzalez's home. The crowds that were attending last season were from Broward county. Now they have a longer drive. Marlins will be heavily dependent on this local area and I predict that Ozzie will be fired.

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ObjectiveGuy

IMO, professional athletes should stick to competing; professional actors should stick to performing; etc. Giving a microphone to an athlete so that he can spew his political views as though they have more importance than those of his fans is just a bad idea. Most of these people in the limelight are egomaniacs who are not in touch with reality anyway, and their distorted political views should not be aggrandized.

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

And only YOU should be able to have an opinion and be able to express it! Sig Heil!

April 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Natalie neilsen

Right...You are the only one that's out of touch with reality..Talk about ego...

April 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |