April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Bobby Argenis

Your an idiot: you have the slightest clue of the issue. Stop writing; you embarrass Americans. If Ozzie is so liberated to voice his opinion (as you mentioned) then allow cubans within Cuba to speak against Castro. Your truly an Idiot and hypocrite. Please invest in Political Science or at least get a GED.

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ferisbueller

I got your back Guillen. I think you're a nut, but I respect how you speak your mind, though I may disagree with you. In fact, I don't even disagree with what you said. You make a good point, the darn guy has survived 60 years, even old age is having a hard time taking him down. lol. But, politics will be politics and the Marlins have a fan base they need to cater to, so I can understand why the economics behind it, forced them to do this. But keep truckin Ozzie, just don't come to NY! ha

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jose

I'm a hispanic, I live in south fl, the marlins have every right to suspend him as a private employer to suspend him from a business stand point of view. With that said, old CUBANS need to realize that this! Is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Go back to cuba and fight if you want a free cuba, don't "cut and run" like a lot of cubans said to dems for wanting to leave iraq. Don't bring your problems here. Enough is ENOUGH with your "struggles" talking smack from your couches in your ac 's watching your tv's. Either fight back or shut up!

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • miamivic

Jose I'm hispanic also. You are either Puerto Rican or a Democrat which one is it?

April 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

Perhaps Free Speach is out in this country now...Why is he appologizing?...He has every right to speak his mind regardless as to whether or not even one person agrees with him....Actually, Cuba has an excellent Healthcare System where everyone receives great care and no insurance company ever gets in the way....More than we can say here, isn't it?....

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • NN

Tom, I have never commented on any public forum but you have inspired me ...
      I am a nurse, I am also the daughter of Cuban immigrants, the grandaughter of cuban grandparents who live in the islandand who are NOT receiving the care you mention. Our current health care system is far from perfect, but please know the facts before you say cubans have access to great care, this false reporting opened my eyes to the many ways media can distort reality ( Michael Moore)

April 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. S.R.

They all want to come to America but will have no loyality to this country when they get here. If they are all so proud of there country then why are they here?

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JX

Yeah, this deserves to be front page news.

I have to get drunk to watch baseball, otherwise I cant stand it; same routine for 24 years :p

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • gok

do you propane and propane accesories by chance?

April 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MKboatman

He should be suspended for talking while intoxicated. Miami – Dade spent a half a billion dollars to build a state of the art stadium in a predominately Cuban neighborhood.

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. reggis

What kills me is this not even an overstepping of the government. This has to do with certain groups in this country who are too touchy about certain issues. If no one is physically hurt by someone else's actions then take a chill pill or go to time-out until you calm down. You don't like what he said, fine, but it's still his right to say it. Everyone on here shouting about freedom of speech you're an idiot too. This has nothing to do with government intervention of any kind. His BOSS was offended by his remarks and disciplined the man. That sounds like a day at the office to me and other normal people. The reason this country is going to hell is because everyone is looking to the federal government to solve their issues. Don't scream about wanting help from the federal government and then complain when they're all up in your business. Since when have you ever seen the federal government or government of any kind relinquish authority over anything once it's been granted to them. Learn to help yourself and stop being so petty.

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gelli

'The Land of the Free' – what a joke!

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ryan

People, the Miami Cubans did not suspend him. The Marlins suspended him. If you have a problem with his suspension be angry at the Marlins not the Miami American-Cuban community. They have every right to be upset about the comments made if they don't agree with them, and they would have the same rights to boycott and not go to Marlins game if the Marlins chose not to act.

Guillen expressed his opinion, and the right of freedom of speech is definitely accurate, but it's the Marlins organization that acted in fear of having their team and new stadium boycotted. Don't the Cuban America groups have the same right to boycott as Guillen has to express his opinion?

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Yes, they have the right to extremely overreact.

April 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Josh

What garbage. I suppose if he said he supported the brutal Batista regime, everything would be peachy keen. What is this, 1962?

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Agreed. Because he said something positive about a foreign leader, he gets suspended from a U.S. sports team?

Welcome to 1984.

April 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • lib

What happed to freedom of speech? He may as well live in Cuba again. What's the difference. He speaks against Castro and is suspended while others disrespect our president and continue to keep their jobs.

April 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. john

People make mistakes..comments...get over it... no harm done..People need to relax a bit...!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jack and gerry goddard

I thought we had free speech here. if some Cubans do not understand this, I figured those born in America did! what was the first country to ask if we needed aid after KATRINA. yes, it was Castro and CUBA. I WAS IN THE MILITARY DURING THE COLD WAR (58-64), And have NEVER understood why we back China and others who deny human rights but not what could be a good friend and neighbor. i am Irish-English and too respect Fidel Castro. is it because he has accomplished so much despite the CIA's numerous attempts to poison him, etc. Well, guess i'll just sit back and await the black helicopters now!!! boy, was Orwell right-on in 1984.

April 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Whether Cuba offered us help or not, whether they are our "enemy" or not, to say something POSITIVE about a foreign leader should NEVER get you suspended from a professional sports team in the United States.

I realize they have a lot of bitterness towards Cuba in Miami, but seriously... this is too much thought control.

April 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. M

Being penalized for expressing an opinion. Land of the Free, I think not !

April 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dave

Why do people have to apologize for having an opinion and then face the possibility of being punished by their employer? No one has the right to NOT be offended by anything anyone says!

April 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |