April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Constance Leigh Craven-Cox

WHERE do we live again????

April 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sbp

To every one of you citing "Freedom of Speech."

YOU ARE MORONS. There have been 100 posts explaining why it does not apply to the conduct of private persons and companies, yet you are too stupid to either read or understand it.

April 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And there have been hundreds of posts, and Ozzie himself explaining, that he thinks in Spanish yet couldn't find the words in English, but that will not stop the MORONS from thinking the worst of him...what does that say about THOSE people?

April 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. n22s

Al Campanis was fired for his improper remarks. Where were you progressives defending his speech? What about Jimmy the Greek? Where were you? Neither was denied his free speech rights. Both were canned for remarks that their employers properly found offensive. Get a life, crack open a book and understand the meaning of rights.

April 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Was English their second language? No?
      Yeah, alright.

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cWhatsNew

Give me a break! Please do NOT bring politics into sports! This is not a communist or totalitarianism country that everyone can only have one correct view.

April 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Drew

Ugggg, the "Freedom of Speech" argument again. Freedom of Speech means you can speak your mind about the Government without fear that the Government will punish you for it. It has nothing to do with being able to say WHATEVER you want and there will be NO repurcissions at all. If an employee says something his/her employer finds offensive, it is perfectly within the rights of the employer to take action.

April 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

While I defend freedom of speech, I agree with your point.

April 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Steve, New York City

A 5 game suspension??? Are they kidding? For What?

Ozzie's suspension, Tryvon Martin/stand your ground, Elian Gonzalez, Casey Anthony – Florida proves once again that it's a haven for people with low I.Qs.

April 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • CP in FL

And this coming from a person that lives in the cesspool named NYC.

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. James

There goes Freedom of Speech out of Window! Besides the reason why Cuba has embargo is what US doing to the rest of the world, including marines that just landed in Australia.

April 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. concerned

FREEDOM of speech. This is the United States. He has a right to say he likes Castro. He has a right to his opinion and should not apologize period. To hell with those Castro haters in Miami!

April 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. petey

Thanks.

April 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. OregonTom

I have no love for Castro but what happened to freedom of speech?

April 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

Freedom of speech is a two-way street and your freedom to say something doesn't negate the repercussions of exercising that freedom.

He said what he said.
      The people of Miami (the client-base) wanted something done or they would not support the team (and maybe find a way to remove the monetary support they gave for the stadium).
      The man's bosses heard the clients' outcry.
      The boss reprimanded Ozzie for it.

The company has the right to exercise it's proper role of governance of it's members.

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jerry

I disagree with the suspension. All the guy said was he respected Castro for lasting over 60 years when there have been groups who wanted Castro killed, overthrown, etc... and still through all that he still managed to stay in charge. Its not like he said he supports or loves Castro in anyway.

April 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

I'm with you if this is what Ozzie meant. Of course, he is facing the repercussions of his words now. With freedom comes responsibility.

April 10, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheryl

Yep, I read it the same way. Stupid & unecessary thing to say considering the community where he lives & works, and now it looks like the people are out to get him. Makes me super uncomfortable to see that he is being punished for saying something polictically unpopular – Hmmmm sounds like the Marlin's regime has similar rules to Castro's !!

April 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jay Q. Regner

Ridiculous; he expressed an opinion on Castro's staying power, not an expression of support. No different than saying that you respect Stalin for having lasted in power for decades in the cut-throat world of Soviet power politics, or Mussolini for making the trains run on time. It doesn't mean you support what they did, just that you respect the fact they were able to survive with so many people trying to oust them. He has nothing to apologize for.

April 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike in Arizona

This is just wrong!

April 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cw

OregonTom, PLEASE educate yourself on what Freedom of Speech actually means.

April 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Spaceghost

Maybe this will override the Trayvon Martin shooting for a few days...

April 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |