April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. BBPatriot

Ozzie should've waited until he was at the bar to talk politics.

April 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jarod

Castro isn't what the US is making him out to be. Castro led a revolution to remove a dictator and a government that was worse than the government he established. That seems like progress to me. Unfortunately, the US has done nothing positive to encourage continued progress in Cuba. Aside from establishing a communist dictatorship, a style of government the US has done it's best to portrait as an evil plague, what has Castro done to deserve the treatment the US has given him? A good question is why the US government is so afraid of communism? Governments tend to benefit financially from a communist system so why would they object? The problem seems to be that our government is influenced and controlled by those who have all the money. Those who have all the money want a free market system which they can manipulate politically as they capitalize on it's citizens. Communism doesn't seem to allow those with money to capitalize on those with very little so it would make sense that a financially corrupt government like ours would damn a style of government that would hinder it's lobbyists ability to make ridiculously more money. Which countries around the world are going bankrupt right now? Any communist countries? Who's the real problem here? Castro or our financially corrupt government?

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

Irrelevant.

April 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jps

I guess they can suspend him for whatever reason but I think it's going a bit too far. He did not say he loved Castro and wanted to have his children. He just acknowledged that the SOB is still around in spite of his considerable opposition. And who cares what he does in his private time after a game. I'd probably want a couple of drinks too. Maybe they could have just issued a statement saying his views do not reflect those of management. He didn't break any laws or hurt anyone, really.

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. nopretenders

he should be deported to Gitmo

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kmoros1989

He wasn't even serious. It was in the context of a joke.

Guess the Marlins like Castro's methods too.

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Yago

long life to American Freedom of Speech. Honestly, who cares what he thinks of Castro o anything else. Miami's Cuba Exile are as radical, obtuse and radical as the Government on the Island.

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JOSEPHINE

VIVA FIDEL! The sanctions remain unfair and unjust. It was good riddance for Batista, the aristocrats and Mafia who oppressed the 'common people.' America's unfair and unjust sanctions on cuba end. Why are we really penalizing Cuba? Because it a little communist country while we continue to borrow, buy and trade with China the largest Communist county in the world? Such hypocrisy !

One would expect oppression of freedom of speech..... but to suspend manager Ozzie Guillen for exercising his 'freedom of speech' in AMERICA? SUCH BLATANT HYPOCRISY!

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Learn to Fish

I'm no fan of Castro, but I am a fan of free speech. Why the suspension?

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Matt

First of all, one can have respect for someone without being a fan of that person. Second, many people say many things, often misspeaking what they really mean, as I suspect is what happened here. Third, people today seem to be completely over-sensitive to the slightest remark by any sort of public figure that could possibly be considered offensive in some remotely relavent context. Finally, as Pat has already said, I thought this was America still. I thought we were supposed to be able to speak our minds without fear of reprisal. While I certainly do not consider myself a champion of the rich and famous (nor of communist dictators such as Mr. Castro), they are people too, and if they are American citizens then that means the first Amendment should apply to them as much as it does to anyone. But is seems as of late that the first amendment does not apply to public figures. They may not have to fear reprisal from the government, but reprisals from employers and the general public can lead to the same thing. At best it shows that the public respects the first amendment far less than they respect a juicy media bonanza centering around some controversial remarks, which, as is the case here, aren't even really all that controversial to start with until the media blitzed us with their spin on things in order to sell more advertising.

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lollerskates

Does the first amendment protect moronic comments, when they offend the public?

April 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whome

Absolutely

April 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • craig

So a guy gives an opinion – his opinion – and they stifle him and suspend him for having an opinion? So basically, America is about not having free speech. In some ways I agree, Castro has been there a very long time and unless you are just a stupid American in denial, read up on the Bay of Pigs and see how you would like a foreign country if they did the same thing to America. It's called empathy United States – you should get some.

April 10, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wallycrab

This isn't a 1st amendment issue. The government isn't punishming Guillen for his remarks, the Marlins are. He has the right to say anything he wants, but he has to know that he represents his employer and is therefore answerable to them. As a teacher, I am placed under similar limits. It's part of the job and I knew that going in, just as Guillen did.

April 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Feast of Beast

The Miami City Commissioners are calling for hm to be fired. Guess what nationality they are? So much for professional objectivity. You should come here to Miami and see this monkey show for yourselves. This is nothing....

April 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PiricuacoKiller

The local news media here likes to add gasoline to the fire. Every time Los van van come to play Miami there up in an uprour by the same free cuba mickey mouse groups that live off donations. Mccathyism is dead and there is freedom of speech, so tough and live with it. Some claim to be political refugees but are on the first flight to Cuba after acquiring their residency. You run into commies from Venezuela, Nicaragua and of course Cuba here so what can you do about it. All you have to do is listen to an anti-castro radio station and you'll hear periodically commies calling in.

April 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. videriquamesse

The Marlins have no room to complain about Guillen. He did this kind of stuff with the White Sox and he's going to continue to do it in Miami. They hired him to win baseball games, not to be a diplomat.

April 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shawn

I agree he shouldn't have to apologize. Political opinions have nothing to do with baseball. I'm sure had he been with any other team this wouldn't have been an issue but Miami being "Little Cuba" had everything to do with this. If they don't like it they should get back on their raft and float back to Cuba!

April 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

Or if they don't like it they just won't go to the new stadium the Marlins built in the middle of Little Havana. Hell of a way to run a business when you tell your main customers to get on a raft back to Cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sekemet

Free Speech. He didn't insult anyone so why is he apologizing? Political jargon.

April 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |